Timber Tuff chainsaw mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogedy_Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on these mills here. They look absolutely identical to the Granbergs. I'm pretty well set with what I have, at least until I stumble upon some more money, but I'm curious what's up with these. I bought my Granberg small mill new, and bought a used MKIII complete mill.

Prices are way lower than the same model Granberg...the 36" mill is $169 at Northern Tool right now.

Are these farmed out for the big retailers or just a cheap copy?

Cheap Chinese Crap.
But considering there are no real moving parts to break and you can replace all the bolts with a better grade, it might be worth the $$.

I just stumbled onto the timber tuff mills myself while searching for a grandberg. As someone who wants to get into milling with a chainsaw,Maybe would be a decent one to cut my teeth on. Then later upgrade to the 775$ complete grandberg set up

I got into milling expecting it to be a one time thing...didn't plan on buying a new saw, a bigger mill, so on and so forth.

That said, had I found the Timber Tuff mill I'd have probably tried it first.

Well i eventually want the grandberg complete mill. It comes with a double end bar and chain, extra oil tank. Literally all you have to provide was a powerhead. The 36" will do up to 32" wide. But like i mentioned its $775 bucks, and i know nothing of using one, so for learning purposes maybe the TT will give my needed expience. Btw what kind of money is there in milling with a saw. Like to just sell thick planks for furnature or what not.

My main reasoning for gettin into it is supplemental income. Is it worth it for that?

I've got the 36" Granberg and with the double end bar I can squeeze just about 34" out of.

As far as making money...that question in way outside my area of competence. I don't personally know of anyone making money with a CSM. I've seen a few times where people are selling custom mantles and etc, but it's usually part of another bigger business and the CSM is just another tool at their disposal.

I believe most here - me included - are doing for themselves as a hobbyist.

Might make for an interesting thread.

Just curious, at out last fall festival a guy was there slabbing a big pin oak. I got to talk to him he said the slabs he milled that day after going through his kiln would bring 6-700 dollars in certain places

I plan to do it for both reason. Side hobby and side money. I figure I'm doing something I enjoy so I'm not really working but I can sell some of the board or big beams for mantels and such.

Yeah, I see the prices of slabs and they are shocking. The price increases exponentially as they get wider, too.

I still think it would be a tough go trying to make much. Niche market, slow to move...etc.

My 36" mill I bought from a tree service...a big, well established company. The owner planned to mill some fancy slabs, but said the idea never got off the ground.

If anyone here is making it work I'd love to hear more.

Yeh see I won't be doing it for a main income. Just fun on the side. If I move it great if I don't then oh well I'll find a use. I've got a line on some good mesquite

Well i know that day a couple i knew walked up to the guy milling and paid 200$ for a slab as soon as it was done they loaded it in his truck it was probly 36" across and 3"-4" thick.

Well i know that day a couple i knew walked up to the guy milling and paid 200$ for a slab as soon as it was done they loaded it in his truck it was probly 36" across and 3"-4" thick.

That's a real good deal becausebhe didn't even have to let it sit

Back