Vintage McCulloch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiggsaw

Reaction score
I have a saw that I believe is a 1961 1-51 McCulloch. I have spoken to several people, and have been told it is Pro, a Pro 250, an 1-41, and so on. Can anyone tell me what I have and maybe the displacement, and perhaps why I can get it to pop, but not run? It has numbers on the bottom as follows:

1 51

on the underside of the handle it has 50041

Jiggsaw,

Either way it is about an 80cc saw, it is much older, but it has a short stroke so maybe rpm would be higher. If it was me, I'd cut firewood with it. As for price, it has been my observation that mccullochs really don't bring a whole lot because ther are just so many out there, on the other hAnd though, this could be one of their saws that turned out to be a clollector.
-Jordan

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...64fff7ae730705b988256b00006b5c4b?OpenDocument

^^This will give you more info on the McCulloch 1-51.
As Mr. Chainsaw pointed out all the saws mentioned are 80cc. It seems McCulloch put out tons of very similar saws in that time frame, some have primer carbs,(flat back),some have choke carbs. small differences between each model.
As for a value, tough to say... i would pay $70 for a nice one.
Welcome to the wild world of Chainsaws

When you try to fire it up are you putting mix into the carb or just in the tank?
Mix some 20:1 and try putting some in the carb then choke on. pull a couple times, should pop. sometimes you can hold throttle while starting to try and clean up some of the carb. Keep messing with it and it may come out of it.
If all else fails some simple lovin might do the trick.
One would assume that it might need a good carb cleaning and some fuel lines,etc.
Getting those old McCullochs running after sitting for years can sometimes take a while,

Well recently I have been having the same problems with a stihl 031. If you can get it to start but then it revs real quick and dies, you probably need new fuel lines or a case seal. You can test the case seal by spraying around it with pb blaster and pull it over slow. If it bubbles up, you need a new seal. As for the fuel lines, on a saw that old it will be pretty clear if they aren't good.

Back