Wanting to start selling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I barely have time with logging/firewood as a day job, no idea how you do it. If 40hrs was considered "normal" I do about 2.5 years of work in 1 year. (So I guess that means I've been doing it for 15 years!)

In a nutshell "I Buy Low & Sell High".

The Ramen this time around was more out of laziness vs all I could afford. Had a nice pack of porkchops in the fridge but was too lazy/tired to fire up the grill.

It really doesn't feel like that many hours. When I had a regular paycheck job, some weeks we'd work 12hr shifts for 6 days, so ~72 hours, and that was rough.
Now I can decide "I'm tired, I'm going home", or I want to start work at 10AM, or 5AM, or go eat lunch when I'm hungry, not when the boss says to. I really enjoy it most days, it's satisfying in a way I can't really explain.

I've got lots of pics, just my internet upload is really slow (or it's this site?) and it takes about 10 mins each pic to load up on here so I don't share too many. I do have some on the Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ValleyFirewoodAK

VF - din't u have Ramen and cut up hot dogs other nite for dinner? ;)... lol. interesting post. u are a very busy guy! take care of yourself up there... eat some more salmon and veggies, if u can... if u get a chance post up some pix of ur rigs in operation... sounds like u have one impressive firewood making ops... :)

The Ramen this time around was more out of laziness vs all I could afford. Had a nice pack of porkchops in the fridge but was too lazy/tired to fire up the grill.

It really doesn't feel like that many hours. When I had a regular paycheck job, some weeks we'd work 12hr shifts for 6 days, so ~72 hours, and that was rough.
Now I can decide "I'm tired, I'm going home", or I want to start work at 10AM, or 5AM, or go eat lunch when I'm hungry, not when the boss says to. I really enjoy it most days, it's satisfying in a way I can't really explain.

I've got lots of pics, just my internet upload is really slow (or it's this site?) and it takes about 10 mins each pic to load up on here so I don't share too many. I do have some on the Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ValleyFirewoodAK

those of us who are or were self-employed, etc... know just what you mean... this is my take on it:

work is work, but one's own work is fun! :D. and that kind of work is :numberone:! cutting loose of the boss's noose snd leash is a great feeling. usually, a successful self-employed individual will work harder and smarter and enjoy it more. he will be more creative, too. he will also be more productive, as well. he is more or less fully independent to set his course as he sees fit. freedom! independence! sweet stuff! serve the customer well, and the marketplace is your mecca. I would tell 'others'... that it is an opportunity to work at one's fullest potential. of motivations from within. thru my career path, even in the professional jobs I liked... I always hated to have to get up and go to work... but as an independent... I never hated to get up and go to work... I loved it! besides, for me... i could and did walk to work! :p doing what i wanted to do and earning an income, too! :havingarest: and... my routine was usually a minimum day of about 16-17 hours. 9 am or so til 2-3 am... every day. :)

will ck out ur FB.

If your vision of a firewood business does not include this, which for me was two hours ago after a short delivery, then you may need to re-adjust. The firewood business...doesn't always look like firewood. Sometimes its a grinning mechanic looking back at you. (Seems to be a rear wheel seal, as I still have brakes.) But, that delivery scheduled this afternoon... Hmmm
:drinkingcoffee:
IMG_3327.jpg IMG_3330.jpg

I second what downhill said. No matter how much or how little equipment you use, there will be maintenance issues. My splitter is down as of this morning. Most likely going to need a new control valve. Only today and tomorrow is it not supposed to be in the 90's! Damn it!

If your vision of a firewood business does not include this, which for me was two hours ago after a short delivery, then you may need to re-adjust. The firewood business...doesn't always look like firewood. Sometimes its a grinning mechanic looking back at you. (Seems to be a rear wheel seal, as I still have brakes.) But, that delivery scheduled this afternoon... Hmmm
:drinkingcoffee:
View attachment 512457 View attachment 512458

Easy fix at least. Hub seal is about $35 and you'll have it all fixed up in an hour or so. Don't even need to take the wheels off, just pull it off all together.

But yeah, most days, like everyone else doing this type of work, I fill the role of about 10 different vocations.... from secretary, mechanic, equipment operator, truck driver, minion, janitor, customer service rep, logger, etc!
And there ALWAYS seems to be something needing fixing or modified even if you just own a few small pieces of equipment. I could stay busy full time JUST doing mechanic work. You learn to figure what really needs to be fixed and what can go for a while. Sometimes refilling hydraulic oil every few days is cheaper than the fix!

Tonight after my day job I have to pull the starter out of my skid steer, gonna be 95 here and it's not an easy removal but at least I don't need any help or mechanic.

image.jpeg Another thought like Sandhill said is broken equipment. I try to keep up on mine, but sometimes a collage age girl decides she would like to text on her phone more than look at the road. The tow bill was $800 alone, now the trailer is up on jackstands in my garage waiting for a new axle to arrive. I called the place the load was going to and let them know what happen. They were glad I was alright, but asked when they could expect delivery. People don't care that you have had a bad day, they want their product.

That is where the girl smashed into it at. It snapped her front axle allowing the rear tire on my trailer to climb up the fender of her wrangler. That along with the high COG initiated the roll of the trailer

mijdirtyjeep: No one got hurt? Surprising.
Must be you don't smoke. You could have saved a $800. tow bill...

Me and my two boys were fine. The boys did not even know It happened "besides the loud bang". My oldest asked why I was pulling over, and I told him cause I'm dragging the trailer upside down. :eek:

Ironic isn't it. I personally have worked with three of deputies for more than 8yrs that responded. I even know the tow operators that had to flip it back over by first name. None of that made my bill any cheaper.

Just sucks my insurance agent did not or forgot to insure that trailer when he came to the yard to put insurance on all the equipment.

Back