When do people start buying firewood and how do I get more business?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set my stand up around Memorial Day and have sold just over 100 bags so far. It is absolutely weather dependent and this year has been slow as it has either been hot, raining, or smokey with few really nice days. I expect demand will start picking up over the next few weeks.
I may try not selling face cords this year and just go with bags to see how I do. I've found, teaching takes up almost all my time in the fall and it was difficult keeping up with demand last year.

Attachments

• IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oak is a slow drying wood.

For my firepit wood I use silver maple, pine, hackberry, and other common less-dense species. I call it junk wood, because the BTU’s are fairly low. These species dry quickly, light easily, and burn quickly, and are fairly light. I split them smaller for quicker drying and can pack more into bags, and easier handling. Perfect for campfire bundles.

Heating wood (cordwood) should be the denser stuff like oak, hickory, etc. I split these larger for longer burns and so it takes longer to dry.

As others have said, make sure everything you sell is dry, and your bin is always stocked. Nothing wrong with FB marketplace. It’s used much more than CL now, but have at least 2-3 ads going at once. Use different pics and wording, because the stupid algorithms don’t show everything that a shopper puts in the search box.

Another note- I’m going to be building a large bin to use at another location. I will have heating wood by the 1/2 cord and campfire wood by the bundle stored in it.

I am 14 and built a firewood sale stand and I want to know when people will start buying wood. I already have sold a couple of bundles and bags. People really love the free firestarters too. I have been approached while cutting wood by people satisfied with my wood and work ethic. I have ads at the local pool and I have even started to cut my wood to fit the Solo stove/ Solo pit because a lot of people are buying them and they actually burn more wood than regular pits which will be good for my business if people choose wood instead of propane or grocery store wood.

And, no. I will not sell to people who heat with wood because, for the time being, I am unfortunately underequipped for that level of demand.

I will also try to sell pumpkins if I am blessed with enough to sell. So far I have 3 and am hoping on 12.

But in all seriousness, does anyone have any solid advice on how I can grow my business or advertise as I move into the fall when people will be buying more wood? Is Facebook marketplace a good way to advertise or get ripped off/robbed?
without offering delivery, you can sell by the cord if they are willing to pick it up, perhaps offer to load their vehicle?
the camp wood (as we call it round here) seems to go spring and fall, with the stove wood (heating houses) late summer into fall.

Until you find transport for deliveries, yer pretty much stuck with whoever happens to drive by or advertising on facebarf or crookslist, maybe offerup?
Seems like none of the online "marketplaces" are not chock full of jerks that think they are the greatest businessmen in the world... buy low sell extremely high etc.

It is telling that the crookslist folks won't meet at a police station...

without offering delivery, you can sell by the cord if they are willing to pick it up, perhaps offer to load their vehicle?
the camp wood (as we call it round here) seems to go spring and fall, with the stove wood (heating houses) late summer into fall.

Until you find transport for deliveries, yer pretty much stuck with whoever happens to drive by or advertising on facebarf or crookslist, maybe offerup?
Seems like none of the online "marketplaces" are not chock full of jerks that think they are the greatest businessmen in the world... buy low sell extremely high etc.

It is telling that the crookslist folks won't meet at a police station...
Yep. I don't sell to wood heaters because they are cheap. But for good reason though. I have sold 6 bags within a WEEK! I will rase the bag price to $8 in mid-September though. I can't wait until I am operating in full force and have my products in hardware stores!

I am 14 and built a firewood sale stand and I want to know when people will start buying wood. I already have sold a couple of bundles and bags. People really love the free firestarters too. I have been approached while cutting wood by people satisfied with my wood and work ethic. I have ads at the local pool and I have even started to cut my wood to fit the Solo stove/ Solo pit because a lot of people are buying them and they actually burn more wood than regular pits which will be good for my business if people choose wood instead of propane or grocery store wood.

And, no. I will not sell to people who heat with wood because, for the time being, I am unfortunately underequipped for that level of demand.

I will also try to sell pumpkins if I am blessed with enough to sell. So far I have 3 and am hoping on 12.

But in all seriousness, does anyone have any solid advice on how I can grow my business or advertise as I move into the fall when people will be buying more wood? Is Facebook marketplace a good way to advertise or get ripped off/robbed?
Selling firewood is a lot like selling lemonade and hot chocolate. Some days you're going to sell out of lemonade when it's -40°. Other, hot chocolate when issues it's 100°. The only thing i can add/say, have plenty of mixed bundles with varying kinds. I myself, elm hedge, and white pine. Hope the lemon to choc comparison made sense. Good luck.

@Mr.Metsä. all they guys around here just started the "fall" bundle stands again. I've been seeing $20.00 for a bag give or take, seen $15 as a low and $25 as a high. All honor system type stuff. The 3 I pass every day on the way to work are sold out by the time I'm coming home around 3pm.

Latest posts

Back