whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 579227 New rubber bumpers for the grcs. I added the cut in visor plate too. Been meaning to do that for a while. I just gotta straighten out a couple of the fairleads that got bent (years ago) next, and she should be pretty good. I should probably look into a new strap next too.

I finally replaced the spikes on my geckos too - another thing I've been meaning to do for ages.

Gotta do oil changes, etc. at some point, I think one of the trucks needs its annual inspection done.

I gotta run an add to find some better help too. This just isn't working out.

I bought the visor plate for mine a year ago and haven't put it to use yet.

Unfortunately for you this is late in the season to get a worker with arboriculture experience. You'll have to train. I'm in the same boat.

I bought the visor plate for mine a year ago and haven't put it to use yet.

Unfortunately for you this is late in the season to get a worker with arboriculture experience. You'll have to train. I'm in the same boat.

"Arboricultural experience"?? :laugh:

Come,on, man, lets not make it out to be more than it really is. Save that for the customers. lol

I thought you were in love with this new guy?

I said I (thought) I had a good feeling about him. Everything sounded so good initially. I was really just trying to remain positive about the whole thing. The kid is lazy, smart mouthed punk.

And I mean that kind of laziness that runs rampant throughout his entire being. A laziness so entirely pervasive that it's blatantly evident in the way he sets about any and every task given to him. Marine my ass. ****ing little punk.

At least I still love the work... hell, I don't even mind the business end of things. I gotta do something with myself. I don't let guys like the lazy marine get me down. It just makes me feel better about myself, and glad I'm not a lazy bastard. Lol

I said I (thought) I had a good feeling about him. Everything sounded so good initially. I was really just trying to remain positive about the whole thing. The kid is lazy, smart mouthed punk.

And I mean that kind of laziness that runs rampant throughout his entire being. A laziness so entirely pervasive that it's blatantly evident in the way he sets about any and every task given to him. Marine my ass. ****ing little punk.

Just keep making him build those plywood highways you like so much. He'll quit soon enough.

Just keep making him build those plywood highways you like so much. He'll quit soon enough.

Yeah, I guess the plywood jokes are cute and all. My old guy used to whip that **** around like they were potato chips. Lol, there wasn't any crying about it either. I am only looking out for my client's property.

Yeah, I guess the plywood jokes are cute and all. My old guy used to whip that **** around like they were potato chips. Lol, there wasn't any crying about it either. I am only looking out for my client's property.

I understand. I've built my share of them also. I never liked firing people but I would work them until they quit.

Just resting today. I spend a week up north, come home on weekends, tired.
You know when your the new guy you get tested. We had a tree with 30% lean 30 ft up, a big dog leg . Tree was about 120 ft tall 10 ft from a house on a up slope. Surrounded by other trees. A million things could go wrong. They ask me,"you want to drop it"? They never seen me fell a tree yet. I barely had a hole to fit it though.
Long story short, im earning my spot.

"Arboricultural experience"?? :laugh:

Come,on, man, lets not make it out to be more than it really is. Save that for the customers. lol

I tell my guys they get raises when they earn me more money. I quiz them on knots, tree id, rigging, etc. I had a kid work for me for a year who plateaued after two months. He asked me about a raise and I told him to pass the cdl written and I'd give him $1/hr and another buck after the road test. That went on for 6 months. No initiative.

I found out he was soliciting my customers for side work when I met with my accountant and he asked about the kid. We work there a while before and the kid told my accountant he could "pave his driveway". [emoji28]

I told the kid no more funny business and he quit.
He could have made 18 an hour within a month if he just tried to get his cdl (and I'd pay for everything) but he chose a shortcut.

Since then I'm wary of young people working. Always yelling at them to put the ****ing phone down, drama in personal life, no initiative.

The inability to distinguish between an extra yard of brush in the back of the truck, and shoveling rocks into my chipper (when I JUST changed the knives) is what's sealing this losers fate.

Shoveling rocks is my biggest pet peeve. I would call him today and tell him his services are no longer needed.

Some people are just a waste of air.
A lot of this is the reason we buy a lot of equipment. 200k$ piece of machinery at some point is a lot cheaper than people that don't wanna work. by the time you pay workers comp and everything on a good climber its like 3-4k a month at least. you can spend 300-400k for that. a really good employee can be a lot more than that. Ill get some pictures up when I get a chance but we been working with a very large company on a state job. we are up to around 20k yards of chips this month produced.

We had to remove a canary island date palm that has fusarium. We had to do it with a single base cut. A crane was not an option although that would of been best. I took a guess at the weight and figured it at 5,000lbs, all the fronds were dead so we pulled them off and stripped the ball by hand until we had it ready to make the cut. I was concerned about the weight because I was guessing at it. Like I said, a crane would of been nice, but not an option due to several factors.
I rented a 10k forklift that was good for 6k at 20 feet, but I was still hoping it did not weigh more than I thought.
It worked out good, we were done in 2 hours. Total weight was at 4k lbs., minimum traffic control.
Jeff
20170526_080648.jpg

Latest posts

Back