What a mess!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out to the wood patch this morning to continue cleaning up the leavings from burning brush piles. Once that is done, this will probably be my first tree to fall.

mess2_zps0io2ace6.jpg

mess_zpsiespt5ue.jpg

The leaner is for sure resting on that tree, it looks like it might still have part of the rootball attached. Both trees are in the 30" DBH range. Lots of weight to play around.

I didn't fight my way through all that mess to get a good look, proably take a day's work (3 hrs) just to clear all the crap away so I can see.

I will cut the leaner down at the base and see if I can pull it free.

I know you have the experience to get them safely on the ground so I won't armchair qb from photos. But yes, you definitely have some work ahead of you!

Out to the wood patch this morning to continue cleaning up the leavings from burning brush piles. Once that is done, this will probably be my first tree to fall.

mess2_zps0io2ace6.jpg

mess_zpsiespt5ue.jpg

The leaner is for sure resting on that tree, it looks like it might still have part of the rootball attached. Both trees are in the 30" DBH range. Lots of weight to play around.

I didn't fight my way through all that mess to get a good look, proably take a day's work (3 hrs) just to clear all the crap away so I can see.

you just a glutton for punishment turnkey.o_O be safe on that one.

mess2_zps0io2ace6.jpg

mess_zpsiespt5ue.jpg

I've had these things move on me in unexpected ways when I'm a lot too close for comfort. Nowadays, I use a pole saw on that stuff so I'm at least 6 feet away from anything that decides to do something scary. I've cut some pretty big trunks with a pole saw, I go back and forth from one side to the other when the trunk or limb is twice the size of my pole saw bar. I'm hoping I'll still be doing this when I get to be your age.

I've had these things move on me in unexpected ways when I'm a lot too close for comfort. Nowadays, I use a pole saw on that stuff so I'm at least 6 feet away from anything that decides to do something scary. I've cut some pretty big trunks with a pole saw, I go back and forth from one side to the other when the trunk or limb is twice the size of my pole saw bar. I'm hoping I'll still be doing this when I get to be your age.

Yep. I usually plan these things a long time before I try it. Picture a way to do it and then ask "What if...". In the olden days it would have been simple. Stick of dynamite or some primer cord - done. Used to be able for anyone to buy a case of dynamite at the local hardware. Dad showed me how to blow stumps but his theory was "if a 1/4 stickis enough, 2 sticks is better".

Harry K

My dad used dynamite to remove a silver maple stump where he wanted to build his new house. It was maybe 12 feet from the old house (in use.) At the quarry they told him to use ten sticks. He did it one day while we were at school. We come home and there are pieces of the stump and some of the brick chimney in the front yard. Two story farm house. No other damage.

mess2_zps0io2ace6.jpg

mess_zpsiespt5ue.jpg

took one look at the pix... backgrounds and said to myself... looks like wheat country!... then noted your location... SE WA! nothing quite like the beauty of gently flowing vast fields of Washington wheat... green and rolling, swaying... as far as the eye can see! :)

yep...

Yep. I usually plan these things a long time before I try it. Picture a way to do it and then ask "What if...". In the olden days it would have been simple. Stick of dynamite or some primer cord - done. Used to be able for anyone to buy a case of dynamite at the local hardware. Dad showed me how to blow stumps but his theory was "if a 1/4 stickis enough, 2 sticks is better".

Harry K

Had a great-great uncle that used to do this for a living around the turn of the last century. One day a routine stump blasting job in a neighbor's field came up and when the dynamite didn't go off as usual, he waited a bit, then went to go check it. When he got up to the stump it went off and killed him.

Had a great-great uncle that used to do this for a living around the turn of the last century. One day a routine stump blasting job in a neighbor's field came up and when the dynamite didn't go off as usual, he waited a bit, then went to go check it. When he got up to the stump it went off and killed him.

ruined his day! omg!! but doubt he felt a thing. over before it started. dynamite... C4, etc... anyone know how fast the heat and pressure mass travels?

a) 1,000 mph

b) 10,000 mph

c) 50, 000 mph

d) none of the above

Harry K

Yeah, the terrorists have ruined everything for farmers wanting to do stuff the easy way. But I think you can still buy a can of black powder, drill a big hole in the trunk, seal it up in there real good, and let 'er blow.

Yeah, the terrorists have ruined everything for farmers wanting to do stuff the easy way. But I think you can still buy a can of black powder, drill a big hole in the trunk, seal it up in there real good, and let 'er blow.

where would one buy black powder? gun shop?... I don't think my local ag/co-op carries it. ;)

where would one buy black powder? gun shop?... I don't think my local ag/co-op carries it. ;)

Gun shop. I've seen you tube videos of people doing this procedure with black powder. A popular pastime down here for crowd pleasers is anvil shoots, where you place a load of black powder under a big anvil, and set it off, blowing the anvil way up in the air, making lots of noise and smoke.

took one look at the pix... backgrounds and said to myself... looks like wheat country!... then noted your location... SE WA! nothing quite like the beauty of gently flowing vast fields of Washington wheat... green and rolling, swaying... as far as the eye can see! :)

yep...

And with fields measured in sq miles, combines with 32'+ headers (I thought our 16' was big!), leveling 45 degree on those hills. Wonderful country. The Palouse of SE Wa.

Back