What are you working on this summer/fall/winter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats up for the next few months? Home projects, firewood, mechanical projects, fun projects, not so fun projects?

We are selling our house so I have spent the last month getting things cleaned up and into shape. This fall I need to finish sheeting the ceiling of my small cabin, do the door and window trim, and possibly paint the new boards I put on the outside to enclose under the cabin as well as the paint the underside of the extended roofline from the metal roof last summer. And would like to put up 5-10 cords of wood to get ahead for next year.

This winter I have an L65 that I want to turn into a L77 (already have the needed parts except for the top cover) and also three 55 Huskys plus a box of extra parts in various states of disassembly that I want to combine to build two or possibly three runners. Going to totally strip the 55's down and take the 65 down to the case but since case gaskets are NLA I will stop there. Should be a fun project while watching football.

Well, the wife and I are about to tale a (much needed) 10 day vacation into the mountains of WV with our two knucklehead dogs, renting a cabin about 30 miles outside of Charleston. Aside from that, autumn is in the air and soon I'll be needing to move this year's wood from the seasoning area to dry storage. After that if it's mild enough I'll start felling some more trees to split for the coming year's cordwood. I'm entertaining the idea of felling and processing a few trees with only an axe, just for fun. Might even do some more thinning in the woods as the weather cools off (I hate heat and humidity) and hauling off more brush or chip/shred it for compost or mulch. I hope to have at least 2-3 cords worth of rounds stacked ready to split by winter.

As for projects, nothing major other than building a stairway from the ground up to our deck and retrofit an electrical unit for our hot tub. Dang thing shorted out at one of the leads from the heating bulkhead to the board. Might even finish running the fence line all the way up the hill once the vegetation dies. Mechanical, all of my equipment is running well, maybe some annual/seasonal maintenance. I do have a gas hedge trimmer that needs a new carb and tune, so I'll probably get that running and sell for some extra cash. Other than working on some axe restorations, I'll be brewing a lot of beer when the cool weather arrives (my favorite time of year). I have been bottling lots of aged sour beer and kegging the rest, most should be conditioned in the next few weeks. The holiday season is ungodly busy in my industry, so I hope to have much of this buttoned up before the 12 hour day/6-day weeks arrive...

Well, we've been in this house for 21 years - and it's still not finished. Already need to do-over all the bathrooms (3). Really really need a garage - but no, not until the house gets 'finished finished'. We took possession of a cottage this month that's been in the extended family for years - a sentimental thing. But it needs some attention. Family farm related things that need fixes & overhauls before winter. The years wood prepping for the house, I'm a little behind on - all cut, half split, none hauled & stacked. Then there's the day job.

Anybody do any programming in school? Endless do-loops?

Ya, that's my project list...

The holiday season is ungodly busy in my industry, so I hope to have much of this buttoned up before the 12 hour day/6-day weeks arrive...
What do you do? Sounds like UPS. My last peak season I worked a couple 80+ hour weeks, bout killed me. My last 6 years I shifted trailers in the yard. During peak we were processing 750 trailers per day. Most 53 footers. Since the shifters didn't leave UPS property we didn't fall under DOT rules, so we could work unlimited hours. Worked 28 hours straight one time, they did give me 2 one hour lunch breaks. When it got slow, I'd take a 5 minute nap, turn the volume up on my Shift/Com computer, so I'd wake up for the next move. Amazing how good a 5 minute nap feels when you are exhausted, Joe.

What do you do? Sounds like UPS. My last peak season I worked a couple 80+ hour weeks, bout killed me. My last 6 years I shifted trailers in the yard. During peak we were processing 750 trailers per day. Most 53 footers. Since the shifters didn't leave UPS property we didn't fall under DOT rules, so we could work unlimited hours. Worked 28 hours straight one time, they did give me 2 one hour lunch breaks. When it got slow, I'd take a 5 minute nap, turn the volume up on my Shift/Com computer, so I'd wake up for the next move. Amazing how good a 5 minute nap feels when you are exhausted, Joe.
No, actually, I work in the granite fabrication industry. We do kitchen and bath countertops mostly for builders in new communities, but we also have a few contractors for custom work and we service about 18 Home Depot stores (which I'm no fan of). You can set your watch to it, right around the last two weeks or so leading up to Thanksgiving, everyone decides they want to remodel, or the builders are finishing up before the frost hardens the ground and the end of year approaches. Our company has grown exponentially over the past two years, we're actually building a new, much larger facility with state of the art updated equipment and machinery, and should become one of the largest fabricators in the Mid-Atlantic, likely by the end of next year, possibly spring 2019. Because of that reason, we have been forced to take on business that is nearly maxing out our production capacity, and my department is already short-handed, so that coupled with the typical holiday rush in the business means long days. I'm hourly, so it's not that bad and it's not like I can do much outdoors after 5pm in the winter anyways with shorter daylight, so it's a wash. The extra cash always helps.

I know what you mean, I am a religious nap taker on my lunch break. I always take a 10 minute nap in my car after I eat, it does wonders. Never, ever go over 15 minutes, though... ha ha. That is some insane work schedule you do at UPS, a good friend of mine is a driver. He takes on extra hours during the regular season, and during the holidays you just don't even see him. I'm not even sure how much drives, I'm sure the DOT won't allow a person to drive for more than 18 hours without some break. He'll probably have enough to retire by 50, no wife and no kids.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'll be able to stop and relax and do some fun fall things with the family. We're finishing up a big house renovation turned rebuild on half of it. All I have left to put up the trim in a closet, paint a wall and get trim on it, and get closet shelves up. I can't wait for it to be over with. Then I can relax and cut some wood this fall. Also go do weekend things with the family. This weekend I need to put new front axles in our van. CV joints are shot and it shakes under acceleration over 50 mph.

I'm convinced I could work full time at home and still not have time for stuff. But I have to work the 8-5 to pay bills too.

Early summer I processed most of my wood for next year. I added raised beds for veggies, which have been awesome. I edged and mulched every bed around the house with pruning, weeding, etc. I also added 2 new beds around my deck and edged them with field stone from our fields and then back filled with river rock. I started building a post and rail fence, starting with 1 man gate and an equipment gate and the stretch that had to go through the septic field (fun times there). I cleared 5 trees out of our back hay field. I put in 4 food plots for deer. I spent a lot of time with family, which I don't regret.

For upcoming projects I have about 3 cord of stuff to process just laying around, I have about 6 large Ash trees that need to come down. I have another handful of standing dead trees I have earmarked for removal. I have 2 bird dogs I need to get trained. I have tree stands to move, fix up and shooting lanes to trim. Oh and 2nd cutting hay is right around the corner, with about 600 bales to put up in the barn.

I keep looking at my wood landing and thinking I need to start getting it cleaned up but the grass needs mowed, the garden needs weeded, the wife needs tending to, dogs need trained, etc. Its coming though, like winter.

No, actually, I work in the granite fabrication industry. We do kitchen and bath countertops mostly for builders in new communities, but we also have a few contractors for custom work and we service about 18 Home Depot stores (which I'm no fan of). You can set your watch to it, right around the last two weeks or so leading up to Thanksgiving, everyone decides they want to remodel, or the builders are finishing up before the frost hardens the ground and the end of year approaches. Our company has grown exponentially over the past two years, we're actually building a new, much larger facility with state of the art updated equipment and machinery, and should become one of the largest fabricators in the Mid-Atlantic, likely by the end of next year, possibly spring 2019. Because of that reason, we have been forced to take on business that is nearly maxing out our production capacity, and my department is already short-handed, so that coupled with the typical holiday rush in the business means long days. I'm hourly, so it's not that bad and it's not like I can do much outdoors after 5pm in the winter anyways with shorter daylight, so it's a wash. The extra cash always helps.

I know what you mean, I am a religious nap taker on my lunch break. I always take a 10 minute nap in my car after I eat, it does wonders. Never, ever go over 15 minutes, though... ha ha. That is some insane work schedule you do at UPS, a good friend of mine is a driver. He takes on extra hours during the regular season, and during the holidays you just don't even see him. I'm not even sure how much drives, I'm sure the DOT won't allow a person to drive for more than 18 hours without some break. He'll probably have enough to retire by 50, no wife and no kids.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Our Feeder, or tractor trailer drivers are most regulated. Delivery Drivers can fudge numbers a little. They are supposed to take a full lunch break, but often work through it to get off earlier. But, they loose that hours pay, because the computer subtracts it if you stop or not. Our local also has what is called the "bonus system". If the computer says you have a 10 hour planned day, and you get back in in 8 hours, you still get paid the 10 hour planned day, and the 2 hours over 8 are paid at time and a half. So, when you see UPS drivers always running, it's not always because they have a whip behind them, it's a big carrot in front of them. The full time inside workers have very little regulation as to hours worked. In the old days the company would rather pay the insiders over time than hire unreliable part timers to fill the gaps. Of the thousands of workers in our local, we only had 90 full time inside jobs, all at night. They are very sought after and hard to get jobs. The last few years they have held them at zero overtime except for Christmas peak, Joe.

My 9-5 mainly that has been more of an 8-8 this summer. Just starting to slow down and get ramped up on my outside duties. I have about 15 cord down that I need to cut and split. Wanted to have it all done by Sept 1st but that ain't happening. Although I did just acquire a couple 288xp's that have me excited. Went through one and ran it yesterday. Run's great and cuts like an animal. The other was dropped I think and has a break in the crankcase by the recoil. It's in a terrible spot and I am on the hunt for a used crankcase because the piston and cylinder look great and the crank is tight.

20170506_192016.jpg
Between working on everything around here and getting ready for this firewood season. I thought it was a good time to build up my Camaro to do some drag racing after the local track reopened. Intake, headers, exhaust, custom tune, throttle body, drag radials, line lock & of course Nitrous ..... I made some videos and created a youtube channel to document my racing activities. It's been fun.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyG4FRlCfGR9gDm6PO-27rg

Whats up for the next few months? Home projects, firewood, mechanical projects, fun projects, not so fun projects?

We are selling our house so I have spent the last month getting things cleaned up and into shape. This fall I need to finish sheeting the ceiling of my small cabin, do the door and window trim, and possibly paint the new boards I put on the outside to enclose under the cabin as well as the paint the underside of the extended roofline from the metal roof last summer. And would like to put up 5-10 cords of wood to get ahead for next year.

This winter I have an L65 that I want to turn into a L77 (already have the needed parts except for the top cover) and also three 55 Huskys plus a box of extra parts in various states of disassembly that I want to combine to build two or possibly three runners. Going to totally strip the 55's down and take the 65 down to the case but since case gaskets are NLA I will stop there. Should be a fun project while watching football.
a 3120k chop saw overhaul bearing up,, and a couple of 026/028 saws :) and a 1956 international pick up s-110 for reseal the added 427 b/b leaks oil hope to at least get the first ones done ...good luck with the house... hate house repairs myself ...

a 3120k chop saw overhaul bearing up,, and a couple of 026/028 saws :) and a 1956 international pick up s-110 for reseal the added 427 b/b leaks oil hope to at least get the first ones done ...good luck with the house... hate house repairs myself ...
I had a 55 International R120 when I was a kid. Cool old truck, Joe.

Well, the wife and I are about to tale a (much needed) 10 day vacation into the mountains of WV with our two knucklehead dogs, renting a cabin about 30 miles outside of Charleston. Aside from that, autumn is in the air and soon I'll be needing to move this year's wood from the seasoning area to dry storage. After that if it's mild enough I'll start felling some more trees to split for the coming year's cordwood. I'm entertaining the idea of felling and processing a few trees with only an axe, just for fun. Might even do some more thinning in the woods as the weather cools off (I hate heat and humidity) and hauling off more brush or chip/shred it for compost or mulch. I hope to have at least 2-3 cords worth of rounds stacked ready to split by winter.

As for projects, nothing major other than building a stairway from the ground up to our deck and retrofit an electrical unit for our hot tub. Dang thing shorted out at one of the leads from the heating bulkhead to the board. Might even finish running the fence line all the way up the hill once the vegetation dies. Mechanical, all of my equipment is running well, maybe some annual/seasonal maintenance. I do have a gas hedge trimmer that needs a new carb and tune, so I'll probably get that running and sell for some extra cash. Other than working on some axe restorations, I'll be brewing a lot of beer when the cool weather arrives (my favorite time of year). I have been bottling lots of aged sour beer and kegging the rest, most should be conditioned in the next few weeks. The holiday season is ungodly busy in my industry, so I hope to have much of this buttoned up before the 12 hour day/6-day weeks arrive...

You had me at brewing a lot of beer :)

Mostly my home renovation stuff to do. Installed 2 LED outdoor lanterns, one on each side of the front door and 10 LED pot lights recently so I need to fix drywall there.
Still working on clear coating the 3 remaining pine doors I just installed; deck staining along with the wood outdoor chairs; replace back outdoor light; cut a bunch of small brush trees around property;
Need to build the firewood lean-to I've designed and bought materials for; Down and block 4 large White Cedars, 1 medium Red Oak and a large White Pine also numerous small saplings of Aspen, Oak, Birch, Cedar, etc.
I'll keep all of the Oak but may bag and sell off maybe 150 bags of the softwoods for extra cash after I process it into campfire wood. I'm in cottage country so lots of campers looking for local camp wood.
I sold 75 bags last year and the money went to new chains, an electric chain sharpener and chain oil and fuel oil for the saws.
Of course the regular maintenance stuff to do too. Snowblower, Jeep, Wifey's car, clean pellet stove also wood stove chimney.
Love the idea of the beer thing though, but I don't drink much or much beer at all, just some rum and coke once in a while.
I guess I should sit out around the fire-pit with a drink one or two nights to enjoy the fruits of my labours.

Looks nice! As for the color I can't have an opinion. Color has never been my fortay.

Been working on a Honda express this summer the only goal this year was getting spark . Getting the wife healthy is big issue this summer has been the big challenge .

I've gotten quite a few decent sized projects done over the last couple years. Still to do, I have a section of the lawn that got rutted up from a concrete truck driving on it that I need to fix, I want to add a quick attach plow to my new tractor, I'm rebuilding a 5x10 utility trailer I just got, and of course put up some more wood.

Back