What Is The Best Manual Log Lifter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the woodchuck and logrite log jacks. I think log jacks are overrated. It seems you only get 2-3 cuts then you have to reposition the jack, 1-2 cuts, reposition jack, repeat. Just cut the log 2/3 down, roll it over, finish your cuts. For big logs I use the log rite cant hook to turn 'em.

I agree, and that's why I don't use it as a lift that often. Sometimes the lift is valuable, though. I've used it to lift logs out of muck and pull it away from brush and vines in a much more effective way than just a cant hook. There is the log on which I only need to make one or two cuts to make it more manageable for moving, and the lift function shines here, too. Most of the time, however, I use it as a cant hook or peavey to roll the log.

Cant hooks are on sale at Northern this weekend. I don't really need one that picks up the logs, I just need help rolling them over sometimes. The problem I'm seeing is that most of the cant hooks are rated for a 12" and 16" log. I dont need help with the baby logs, I need help with the 24" to 36" logs. Will these smaller cant hooks dig into a bigger log, or would I be wasting my money?

My experience is that most of them can roll much larger logs than their rating indicates. The key is the design of the points/teeth. If you can get it to bite into the log, you can roll some monsters.

Cant hooks are on sale at Northern this weekend. I don't really need one that picks up the logs, I just need help rolling them over sometimes. The problem I'm seeing is that most of the cant hooks are rated for a 12" and 16" log. I dont need help with the baby logs, I need help with the 24" to 36" logs. Will these smaller cant hooks dig into a bigger log, or would I be wasting my money?
Ditto...Exactly!!

A 10/12 foot limb 2" or more in diameter and a 6/10 inch diameter round as a fulcrum. Use another smaller limb to push another round under the raised log while holding the end of the lever limb down with your foot. If you want it higher just take another bite with a bigger fulcrum.

The best ones are the ones you don't have to carry in/out of the woods.

Hmm...how about posting pic of that...sounds do-able though...
I have the el-cheapo log roller described earlier. Most of the time it stays in the truck...especially if I can find something on the ground that is much closer. Also when felling, I try to position stuff from the woods so that the log stays up off of the mud/rocks etc.

Ive only used a cant hook on the bigger stuff ....way back when I was younger !! Really on regular size firewood , I never saw the purpose for a jack or hook .

I ended up getting the 6.5' Cant hook from Northern. Don't quote me on the prices, but I think it was originally $80ish, and I got it for $44 shipped to the store.

I don't need for the little stuff. I just have a hard time rolling some of the big stuff.

Do you guys use a pair of log jacks in tandem? Or just one at a time?

I'm still searching for the "best" way to process firewood. I moved to this 60 acre property about 1.5 years ago. I generally buck logs in the woods but occasionally skid logs to my processing area. A pair of log jacks near the center of a log may speed things up.

Do you guys use a pair of log jacks in tandem? Or just one at a time?

I'm still searching for the "best" way to process firewood. I moved to this 60 acre property about 1.5 years ago. I generally buck logs in the woods but occasionally skid logs to my processing area. A pair of log jacks near the center of a log may speed things up.

I sledge hammer in small rounds with a slanty wedge cut on one side. Takes 5 to 10 seconds tops, nice clean cut then. Log doesn't have to be up much at all to get a no pinch cut. that and a plastic wedge at the top for larger logs. Put them right where you want your bucking cut to go, or close to it on the still heavy remaining side. I like right there though, makes it easier to knock them out and move them up the log if needed.

Unless the ground is complete soup, you'll get enough lift to make bucking easy, and no need to try and roll huge logs that way. Smaller ones, sure, cut down 3/4ths, roll and finish, but larger ones, I find the small round lift wedge technique to be the easiest/cheapest/fastest..

If you are dragging, perhaps drag to a slight uphill area, then roll down over some logs laid out to act as supports.

Stihl sells a nice one, but it's about thrice as much as those. I've never used a log lift, but I bought one at Tsc last week to see if I like it. If I do, I'll probably grab a stihl one for next season.

So I got my first use in yesterday. The package says "lifts up to a 14" log". Which sounds about right. While it would get a grip, and roll, the 18" log pictured, it wouldn't lift the log. It was nice to have the extra leverage to roll the log 90° to Finnish my buck cuts. On a smaller log, the lifter lifts so easy that you don't even have to set the Motorsägen down to reposition the lifter. This Tsc model is definitely a piece of Chinese crap, but would probably last if handled lightly. Tsc is pretty good about returns as well, if truly unsatisfied.

I have the steel handled TSC cheap version. works OK. I use it on tweener logs, not too small, not too big.

I sometimes use a short length of small chain with loops in the ends (made with quick links) to roll logs. I cut a limb or sapling to use as a lever/handle, slip one loop on it(bout a foot from the end), the other on a stub of a limb left on the log I want to roll, snug it up so everything is tight with the chain stretched about a third of the way around the log then while pushing to keep the chain tight, lift the lever to roll the log.

If there are no limb stubs I use the tip of the saw to bore a small slot, with the grain, in the log that the bit of my ax can be pounded into and loop the chain around the ax head.

I sometimes use a short length of small chain with loops in the ends (made with quick links) to roll logs. I cut a limb or sapling to use as a lever/handle, slip one loop on it(bout a foot from the end), the other on a stub of a limb left on the log I want to roll, snug it up so everything is tight with the chain stretched about a third of the way around the log then while pushing to keep the chain tight, lift the lever to roll the log.

If there are no limb stubs I use the tip of the saw to bore a small slot, with the grain, in the log that the bit of my ax can be pounded into and loop the chain around the ax head.
Awesome...:clap:

I do quite a bit of cutting by myself...and I've been looking at various log lifters with heavy duty handles.
I've also been looking at some lightweight chain attached log skidders to pull logs out of the woods or out of the rough spots.
These would seemingly help my back & workload tremendously...here's what I'm considering: Timber Jack Log Jack Tool, Koch Log Jack, Columbus McKinnon 06238 Log Jack,
Peavey Mfg 3-1/2' Timberjack, and the Timber Tuff TMB-65 Fiberglass Handled Timberjack.

Share with me your pro's & cons on these tools...and your experience as well.:chop:

Thanks
REG
UPDATE JUST ORDERED THIS: 60" Xtreme Duty Cant Hook FROM LOGRITE!!!! :blob2:

I am looking at the 60 inch handle logrite , never knew that they were made in my homestate of Ct. , who would have thought.
I for some reason can not log into the logrite website to see exactly what I am looking for. I do see on amazon that the 60 inch goes for around 120.00 ; does anyone know if this the same as the one by Stihl , I know that the Stihl ones are mfg by logrite but are they both considered the extreme duty version. My Stihl dealer has the 60 inch for $119.99 and I can get 10% off of that. Is there a place to get a logrite at a decent price. If pricing is about the same I might just go with the one from Stihl. I don't mind supporting my local dealer once and a while , besides I am partial to overpriced orange paint.

I am looking at the 60 inch handle logrite , never knew that they were made in my homestate of Ct. , who would have thought.
I for some reason can not log into the logrite website to see exactly what I am looking for. I do see on amazon that the 60 inch goes for around 120.00 ; does anyone know if this the same as the one by Stihl , I know that the Stihl ones are mfg by logrite but are they both considered the extreme duty version. My Stihl dealer has the 60 inch for $119.99 and I can get 10% off of that. Is there a place to get a logrite at a decent price. If pricing is about the same I might just go with the one from Stihl. I don't mind supporting my local dealer once and a while , besides I am partial to overpriced orange paint.
I shopped around all over the web & local...and that price you have is pretty competitive.

Latest posts

Back