What Kind of Pine/Evergreen Do You Burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many types of conifers have shallower root systems than other types of trees.
I wonder if confiers have a smaller root system? ...It had the most lightning I've ever seen and strong winds. Tree branches broke off all over the place with a lot of conifer species resting on homes.

Add shallower roots to a routinely watered urban setting and you get even more shallow lateral root growth. No wonder you saw so many propped up on houses after the storm.

Thanks windthrown. Joe blogs rate monterey macrocarpa better than monterey pine. I find older pine puts out more heat for longer than macrocarpa. Young pine is not very dense when dry.
Mr Anderson

Different species of conifers have different root depths and patterns. A Ponderosa Pine has a deep tap root as it grows naturally in a drier climate. On the wet side, the preferred tree to use for tailholds because of root strength and wood strength is our Doug-fir. Spruce tend to be shallow rooted. I walked through a spruce shelterwood cut after a windy winter and it wasn't pretty. Opening up a stand of trees--thinning makes those trees more prone to blowing over for a couple of years. The crowns need to close in and the roots strengthen. We cross our fingers hoping that no wind events occur after commercial thins. There are root rots which weaken the roots and make a tree susceptible to blowing over or breaking off. One kind causes breaking at the roots and another breaks off the tree at the stump or somewhere along the bole.

Trees along the edge of a clearcut are at risk. They do not have branches like open grown trees do and their crowns act like sails catching the wind and tipping them over.

If the weather forecast is correct, expect more blowdown this weekend in the PNW. Such storms attract the die hard firewood cutters because a tree blocking the road can be cut at least the width of the road for firewood no matter what management area it is in.

Near as I can tell BA has been posting in this thread under two names, including having conversations with himself.
Kind of weird if that's the same dude. One alter ego tries to start an argument and the other tries to come across as a likeable chap. Schizophrenic?

Am I missing something here? Slowp, windthrown, and myself are the only ones with some forms of back and forth with pulp...
Am I the alterego, or did I miss a post and am just confused?

Oh and Pulp Fiction, this is a pro arborist site, BTW. Perhaps you should consider limiting your posting to the "Homeowner Helper Forum" on this site? Maybe you should also consider not using something as dangerous as a chainsaw, or you might get yourself killed. Also you might want to post on some other more :heart:touchey-feelie:heart: sensitive wood cutting site, like say, Saw Haw gz (one word) dot com? I think they would be more than happy to help you out with your kind of feisty savvy over there. :reading:

Whoa big boy. Breathe. Forget your meds this morning ?
You got panties riding up.
Recall that this part of the site is about heating with wood, not your over the top bragging about being a "pro"......maybe.
Back off.
The "Pro Arborist" Forum is available Windy. But you're not there...why ? You use wood to heat ?

Am I missing something here? Slowp, windthrown, and myself are the only ones with some forms of back and forth with pulp...
Am I the alterego, or did I miss a post and am just confused?
Sorry, not you - there were other interactions.

I lost track of how many user names he had and how many times he was banned under each name. Many user names, many bannings.
He'd run crying to the owners and they'd reinstate him. He'd be good for a while and then start his old behavior again.
Nothing much has changed. He's registered here with at least four different accounts that I know of. I just add them to my IGNORE list as they appear.
Yeah, no matter how hard he tries to hide it, he's still himself.

I wonder if conifers have a smaller root system?
I'm pretty ignorant about conifers in general, as we really don't have many in this part of PA, and from what I have seen even in small areas they tend to die and be overwhelmed by vines and invasive species. The hardwoods are struggling too, but seem to hold up better.

As for the root strength, they did seem to fall over with root balls intact. Then again, we've lost so many big oaks the same way in the last few years I've lost count. The Tulips seem to be much stronger than the oaks - perhaps because there is less mass up top.

I'm pretty ignorant about conifers in general, as we really don't have many in this part of PA, and from what I have seen even in small areas they tend to die and be overwhelmed by vines and invasive species. The hardwoods are struggling too, but seem to hold up better.

As for the root strength, they did seem to fall over with root balls intact. Then again, we've lost so many big oaks the same way in the last few years I've lost count. The Tulips seem to be much stronger than the oaks - perhaps because there is less mass up top.

It also depends on soils and moisture and exposure. A wolf tree which is a tree grown out in the open without competition will have live branches to the ground and will resist the wind well because the wind can't get underneath and lift the tree up. The opposite is true for leave trees in a cut unit. On our coast, buffers are required to be left along streams when clearcutting. Often, those buffers blow down after a few years. We can get away with leaving buffers and leave trees here in the more inland areas.
I've been watching one hillside grow that was cut in 1980 something with big, DF wildlife trees left and spaced throughout. We all thought those would blow over. They are still standing today. It can be a crap shoot. On other units, where ratty hemlocks are left for bird trees, those go down pretty fast.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I thought for a moment I was gonna have to go on the defensive or something.

Do not worry about it. Just put the wood pulp in your ignore file as Bob recommends and you will not see his posts, his comments, or get PMs from him. He knows way too much about things here to be a noob, and as Chris says he is his old self, all over again. Though I think there are several versions of his personality. It must be a 3 ring circus in his head.

Do not worry about it. Just put the wood pulp in your ignore file as Bob recommends and you will not see his posts, his comments, or get PMs from him. He knows way too much about things here to be a noob, and as Chris says he is his old self, all over again. Though I think there are several versions of his personality. It must be a 3 ring circus in his head.

Exactly right. If enough of us put him on IGNORE he'll pretty much cease to exist. If he doesn't get the attention he craves he'll go somewhere else.
We can hope.

Multiple personality disorder... We have had that happen here before. There as a fellow by the name of Talon here that apparently had many AS login names. They supposedly collapsed all his user IDs into Talon, and he left the site. Brush Ape was banned from AS and has since gone rogue, and has logged in as other users. Its the internet. I could be some goon in prison for all that anyone here knows. Though I have met a lot of people on here in person at the PNW GTGs, including Bob/Gologit. There have been con artists that have logged in here wanting to sell stuff too, and we have flushed them out pretty fast.

Well, I have a long history and background, including being an electronics engineer, but I have owned several landscaping and arborist business in Oregon and California. I have owned and operated several plant nurseries, and I have certificates in ornamental horticulture and silviculture. When I joined this site I was living with my ex on a 100+ acre sheep ranch and forest site in the boonies in Southern Oregon. She sent me to silviculture school at OSU in Roseburg and I managed 85 acres of trees there, as well as 100 acres for our neighbor. We burned firewood there, and I have been burning firewood for the past 12 years or so now. I have since bought property here in northern Oregon and I have a small woodland lot here in the boonies. There are lots of boonies in the PNW.

Well Pulp is the first guy I've ignored here so far. Hope I don't have to ignore a lot of people, makes it interesting to read dissenting opinions.

Anyway, have you found a lot of tree species that aren't supposed to be in the state? From the official MD website that lists all the trees in the state there's nothing about black locust. I see sellers advertising black locust firewood so I'm wondering where the hell they're getting it if it's not listed on the natural resources site.

Burning pine has always been a no no around here and was never sure why. Growing up my dad would burn anything in his insert( pine, pallets, construction scraps). Working as an arborist I have a pretty good supply of hard wood so I've never tried it. Maybe next season when I either have a newer stove and chimney or OWB. I have about 10 cord of Norway spruce that's been cut to 16' lengths, stacked, and covered for about 8 years that I need to make disappear. I could cut down on my hardwood use age leaving me more to sell. Anyway, it's not creosote I'm worried about, it's the high flame that scares me. My chimney only has a clay liner.

Burning pine has always been a no no around here and was never sure why. Growing up my dad would burn anything in his insert( pine, pallets, construction scraps). Working as an arborist I have a pretty good supply of hard wood so I've never tried it. Maybe next season when I either have a newer stove and chimney or OWB. I have about 10 cord of Norway spruce that's been cut to 16' lengths, stacked, and covered for about 8 years that I need to make disappear. I could cut down on my hardwood use age leaving me more to sell. Anyway, it's not creosote I'm worried about, it's the high flame that scares me. My chimney only has a clay liner.
Yeah, some pine I have flares up while other species don't...in a glass front stove, it can be pretty impressive to watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Anyway, have you found a lot of tree species that aren't supposed to be in the state? From the official MD website that lists all the trees in the state there's nothing about black locust. I see sellers advertising black locust firewood so I'm wondering where the hell they're getting it if it's not listed on the natural resources site.

We have a long list of invasive species in this state. Black locust is fairly invasive. There are some black locust stands around here that are all that is left of some ghost towns in the Cascades, along the early Oregon trail routes. There is a lot of it in the burbs and cities here too, which are full of exotic and imported tree species. Tree of Heaven is a common invasive, as well as English hawthorn and English holly. Holly grows like a weed on my property here. There are several large holly farms out here where I live, they use it a lot of making Christmas wreathes. One property next to me is a tree nursery and all they grow are exotic conifer species. There are several X-mas tree farms near here as well, but most of those are natives. My property has mainly non-native species, planted by the original owners. Norway and Japanese maples, liquidambars, flowering and fruiting apple, pear, plum, and cherry trees. I also have native pines and birch trees.

Lol, love your sense of humor.

If someone joins in and starts posting right away and more importantly doesn't show up with an attitude ie you or ambull01, you will fit in pretty quickly. If a guy posts here and there, people don't get to know him/her as quickly. I've seen pulp post sporadically and I haven't read enough to formulate an opinion on him. Some like slowp already have.

I have a bunch of posts, and am generally disliked by those that lack an appreciation for sarcasm, or have met me in person.:(

Back