Whats it take to convert a Husqvarna Model 3120K to a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a lead on a Husqvarna Model 3120K concrete saw and was wondering what it would take to convert it to a chainsaw.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chad

I don't have an answer to the question. But I was in the same boat a few years back and decided not to pursue it because concrete saws truly see hell and I didn't wanna deal with a thrashed machine. With all the fine particulates in the air, and not knowing how often the filters got changed in its past life, I didn't trust the top end........or bottom end really, when ya think about particulates in the fuel/air charge making it into the bearings.

It would be a different story if it was a new machine, but the one I'd seen was used and I had to pass it up.

This question comes up fairly often on chainsaw forums and the usual answer is that while it is "possible", it most cases it is not worth it.

Chad, if the price was right and you really want to do it, I think it is feasible with all due respect to JJ 'cause he does know a lot. But you'll have to think outside the box and build some parts. I say it can be done, because with the right transmission and auxiliary oiler made to run as primary oiler, you can definitely mount that on a jig to use as a powerhead for milling.

But a 3120 powered demo saw is very valuable for cutting concrete so do what ya need to.

I say it can be done, because with the right transmission and auxiliary oiler made to run as primary oiler, you can definitely mount that on a jig to use as a powerhead for milling.

Chad didn't specifically mention an application, he simply asked if the K saw could be converted to a chainsaw, and the short answer is no. There are brass feeder tubes for the oiling system on the chainsaw cast into the crankcase that are not present on the K saw crankcase. I know all this because I've already tried to do the conversion.

The newer 3120K crankcases are even more unfeasible because the bar pad is machined differently to support the concrete cutting arm, so in addition to not having the oiler stuff, the bar pad would have to be welded back up, and then machined back down flat. Even for a guy who is set-up to do all of this himself, by the time he gets done with it he's already way in over the cost of a brand new crankcase. Using an auxiliary oiler is an option like you say for milling, if you have the early style K crankcase.

You can though, use the flywheel side of the K crankcase to repair a damaged flywheel side of the chainsaw crankcase. I've done this also.

Thanks, Jacob J. I took 'not feasable' as meaning not possible instead of meaning just too expensive. I'm not as familiar with the drive output on those as I mostly have used a Stihl to cut through block. It had a diamond blade and never gave us a problem! haha I probably never had to remove the blade.

If there is a shaft coming off of it and a way to mount, you can even make your oil pump driven off the shaft outside of the bar. That would be cool since you don't want oil dripping. You can make an outboard oiler between the case and the guide bar. It's an oil pump ******* it not a dialysis machine. Even if the bar had to be mounted on a pedestal it could be done. I was walking around considering this if the bar mounted to a right angle gearbox the handle being upright when you mill, that would sure make an ergonomic position with the elbow out and the wrist aligned.

Chad didn't specifically mention an application, he simply asked if the K saw could be converted to a chainsaw, and the short answer is no.

There is no short answer on ArboristSite. LOL

When you think of the uses for powerheads in milling don't forget a stack cutter if you know what I mean. And as a log cabin mortise chipper or any kind of stationary job. I'm not real big on carrying around an 088 like I was when I was twenty. Why don't you just carry around a window air conditioner pound for pound.

Could be with the right blade that 3120 would make a real good circular saw sawmill powerhead that could very well be. Does anybody cut wood with them? That wouldn't need an oiler.

I was in the local saw shop yesterday and happened on to a guy looking at a new concrete saw.
He had a broken ts350 in his hand, I recognized it and we started talking.
He needed one for a specialized auger tool they had. $$$
He was going to have to retrofit the new concrete saw head to make it work and I said I would sell him mine. I got $450 out of my ts350 and he was happy to pay it. I started looking for a replacement 14" saw and here I am.
I was thinking of a milling saw but with the info above I am thinking I would be better off looking for a 395 xp.
I keep forgetting that a 3120 with a 36-48" mill on it will most likely require a crew of two if your making more than a few cuts.
I think the 3120 would be a step up from my 460 but just out of reach when it comes to common sense, $$ sense and not realistic with me working alone most often.
If I could pick one up for $ like the 460, I get interested but wonder If I would like lugging it around.
Last time I thought about it I said I should add about a 10# weight to my mill for a day an see how hard it was to handle before biting the bullet on it.
If I use the mill on my 460 for more than 3 hours I get pretty tired of lugging it around.
The 395 is a decent useable saw from what I hear but the 880 and 3120 s sit on the shelf most often since they are so heavy .
Chad

Thanks, Jacob J. I took 'not feasable' as meaning not possible instead of meaning just too expensive. I'm not as familiar with the drive output on those as I mostly have used a Stihl to cut through block. It had a diamond blade and never gave us a problem! haha I probably never had to remove the blade.

If there is a shaft coming off of it and a way to mount, you can even make your oil pump driven off the shaft outside of the bar. That would be cool since you don't want oil dripping. You can make an outboard oiler between the case and the guide bar. It's an oil pump ******* it not a dialysis machine. Even if the bar had to be mounted on a pedestal it could be done. I was walking around considering this if the bar mounted to a right angle gearbox the handle being upright when you mill, that would sure make an ergonomic position with the elbow out and the wrist aligned.

There is no short answer on ArboristSite. LOL

When you think of the uses for powerheads in milling don't forget a stack cutter if you know what I mean. And as a log cabin mortise chipper or any kind of stationary job. I'm not real big on carrying around an 088 like I was when I was twenty. Why don't you just carry around a window air conditioner pound for pound.

Could be with the right blade that 3120 would make a real good circular saw sawmill powerhead that could very well be. Does anybody cut wood with them? That wouldn't need an oiler.

Are you smoking something?

Funny, I was just thinking about the milling application for the K saw. I recently picked up an Alaskan mill and local saw shop has a 3120K saw with a broken blade gaurd...

Back