What's on your bench? 2/6/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a real old piece of mild steel pipe then. it doesn't even have that overlap where they bond the pipe which is why i figured it was cast. should i try sell it in the trading post? lol

I think we are narrowing it down, now... lol... steel - mild - old -rusty - pipe? no, I would say steel tubing. thick walled steel tubing. as for a seam, may have to put it to a good course wire wheel, then med, then fine... to see the steel all around. imo, to be seamless would have to be drawn thru a die...

I don`t think the 041`s had real high compression from the couple dozen I have worked on they were all in the 150 range.

Too be honest I was quite suprised by the number (in a good way). P&C in great shape. Might not go crazy with the tear down. Just gonna do a little bit of cleaning and put back together and run er

Good morning!! I currently have an 041av getting the tear down treatment for clean up/restoration. Recieved this saw on Friday from a good friend of mine. Has 150 psi on comp.

Got a red lever 026 getting the cleaning treatment blew 170 psi on comp tester. Was a contractors that hardly used it but didn't believe in blowing off any crud. So it needs a bath BAD

056 super that's gonna get put together very soon as my parts just arrived for it. Super clean saw thats going to a friend of mine for the cost of parts.

you got a bench full! any pix?...

Well, there's another 42cc Poulan clamshell I cut down and still need to grind out the bearing pockets & ports, along with a chassis to put it in. It's a later engine with smaller transfer volume and I wanted to see what difference that made.

But the sun is shining outside rather than in the barn, and I'm kinda bored with it anyhow.

My oil pump gear stripped in the pump itself on my echo 590 I've looked online but does anyone know if they sell the gear separate or do you have to buy the whole pump.

View attachment 484363 View attachment 484364
041av. Not much other than a clean needed.

View attachment 484365
Not the best pic but have been picking at cleaning it all. Just cleaned the rear handle this afternoon. Needs a blow off and a little bit of TLC and itll be ready

hey, thanks for the pix... the 026 was of interest... noted the 170 psi... wow, since I have an 026. new since 1998... stihl runs perfectly! :) albeit these days I coax it along with some regular as needed owner - provided chain sharpening... focusing on tooth to file angle, the draw of the file, cleaning off the file bits, the rakers, depth and shape.... and of course leather gloves! have seen some ugly knuckles...

these days, as my interest has grown (improved, re: my saws and related skills) etc, now not only watch for safety in the cut... and the saw talking to me... now also read the kerf chips... and match them to cut rate and load on bar... nothing quite like a fresh, sharp chain. I like hand filing results but note maybe one of those chain grinders could do it even a bit better.... maybe in time, but right now hand is good enuff for my needs! but I have learned all the chain parts, ie, links, ties, guage, etc.. and the numerous angles of the tooth's shape, etc.; making progress :)

in the meantime I strive for perfection! ;)

I've got to do a timing cover-block gasket replacement on a Cummins 5.9L next week.. 16 hour job for $1000.. a whole lot of stuff has to get torn out to get to it.. it's the worst gasket of all to do.. Joy joy!

A Stihl TS350 super I just got for nothin,needs a P&C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cylinder. I have an ad in the trading post with some ts350 parts

Edit: I realized you have a super. Don't know what mine is as I just got it in a raft of parts.

It sounds nice and loud. Hope it cuts well. Thanks

what sealant did you use to seal base cyl to crankcase with?

on my 044 saw the OE composition gasket was .019 after installing cyl and it having been run. and the replacement steel shim gasket is .019, too... I thot about going gasketless... I have a very smooth flat top of crankcase flange surface, but decided to make a thin composition gasket and it is .011. prob compress to .010 or so. doing this as part of phase one mild mods... and as such tweak the squish and CR some... to compensate for a burnish at best of cyl wear as it was an arborist's working saw... and one day he stuck the rings. I bot it next day. running fine on Friday, sat morn took a powder. and maybe also get some performance upgrade out of the thinner base gasket. but prob will hone cyl base flat for a thou or two... maybe 5... well, that is my plan at least for that department... I measured with clay a .014 clearance piston crown to cyl squish ring... so, since rod pin small shows only a burnish in wear... I think the .014 +/- will hold its running clearance. well, that is the plan for that department... lol; thinking factory squish prob in the .025 - .027 range... maybe bit less.

I am going to use Dirko...

phase I - get saw running with light, mild mods to include some porting and casting flash clean up...new piston/rings, advance timing few degrees...

phaseII - once running good, this phase will be some additional mods to carb... to improve column of air thru it.

phase III - BB kit... 12 mm upgrade and porting... etc.

have all parts needed

P2070035.JPG

Back