What's on your bench? 2/6/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a 24V.. KDP fix not needed.. it's really important on the 12V though.. Ask my buddy who got lucky on 2 engines when the dowel pin came out and broke the case, but didn't go through the gears and damage anything else

Alpina pro 55. Got it to pop after putting some mix in carb with eye dropper, then pull rope broke. Screws are stripped holding starter cover on. Do they make a tiny easy out or any suggestions on how to remove them? Also does anyone out there have an Alpina. I have never seen one besides mine in the U.S.A

what is kdp

Killer dowel pin. I believe it is the pin that locks the cam gear to the cam on an early model 12-valve Cummins 5.9 Liter Diesel Engine (Dodge Pickups). Those pins have a reputation for working their way out of the gear and as they begin to protrude from the gear hub they make contact with the cast aluminum timing cover causing breakage and catastrophic leakage of engine oil. Anyone who, for any reason, removes that cover is always strongly encouraged to remove that pin and replace it with an improved design fastener.

As long as you have a heated shop its minor.
my shop is 70* in the winter and 65* in the summer. If i cant afford to keep the shop comfortable when im working then its time to find a new business

we also have a neon motor tore down, 200 blaster engine in pieces, 4 372xp's with cases split for a rebuild, yamaha golf cart for a tuneup, and a 125 dirt bike in for brakes but thats not nearly as exciting as seeing the subaru engine that needs split to remove the crank with rods still attached

Alpina pro 55. Got it to pop after putting some mix in carb with eye dropper, then pull rope broke. Screws are stripped holding starter cover on. Do they make a tiny easy out or any suggestions on how to remove them? Also does anyone out there have an Alpina. I have never seen one besides mine in the U.S.A
I've had one that I bought used from a yard sale, kept it only briefly as neighbor wanted it. I think they are made in Italy. That's all I know about them.

Yes Palmer made in Italy from what information I collected. I believe I read on a chainsaw collector forum the pro 55 was considered a sweet saw at one point in time. I don't think that many made it over seas to the states.

Killer dowel pin. I believe it is the pin that locks the cam gear to the cam on an early model 12-valve Cummins 5.9 Liter Diesel Engine (Dodge Pickups). Those pins have a reputation for working their way out of the gear and as they begin to protrude from the gear hub they make contact with the cast aluminum timing cover causing breakage and catastrophic leakage of engine oil. Anyone who, for any reason, removes that cover is always strongly encouraged to remove that pin and replace it with an improved design fastener.
Not quite, but close.
The Killer Dowel pin is a dowel pin in the block that locates the timing gear cover.. In early (all 12V) engines the gear cover had a through-hole that mated with this pin, and over the course of billions of vibrations, it could work itself out and fall onto the cam gear.. If you were lucky, it managed to fall into the oil pan and not do any damage.. if you were less lucky, it would get drawn through between the gear and housing, breaking the housing and causing a nice oil leak, usually ejecting the pin through the hole.. if you were really unlucky, it wouldn't get ejected and would get drawn through the cam gear and crank gear, breaking the cam, which will cause MASSIVE piston/valve contact and bent rods at best, bent valves quite possible, and cracked pistons in a worst case scenario.
Thankfully there's a bolt right next to the pin, and you can just put a big washer on the bolt to prevent the pin from coming out.. you can just remove the pin too.

The later engines had a blind hole in the gear casing that prevented the pin from backing out.

Thanks. I appreciate it. Not taking it apart now unless it's leaking LOL. But will make sure to use something thinner next time

I found for my 044 the steel AM shim gasket is a nice pattern. I have 2 of them, one is my 'go to' pattern... but I did not follow its exact shape, more so such that it compliments the crankcase circle where the jug sits... and don't want any overhang... and the metal gasket ( .019) is quite accurate overall. (see my post here #80)

this will give you the general idea:

gask.png

How about a Subaru 2.5 that is in for a minor tuneup...waiting on parts to show up and hopefully be back together and running by the weekend. View attachment 485130 View attachment 485131 View attachment 485132 View attachment 485133

>that is in for a minor tuneup...

gosh! good thing it didn't need some serious stuff! like a Major Tunerup!!! what do you consider minor?... rings, bearings, pistons, cam, valve job and misc emissions and computer sensors?... just the small stuff? ;)

>that is in for a minor tuneup...

gosh! good thing it didn't need some serious stuff! like a Major Tunerup!!! what do you consider minor?... rings, bearings, pistons, cam, valve job and misc emissions and computer sensors?... just the small stuff? ;)
Would have been major tune up if we has to do the head but someone else had recently done the heads. Apparently they didn't get the heads done quick enough though and the antifreeze had already worked it's magic on the bearings

Hey Rx7man...Thanks for the correction.....once I started reading your post it all came back to me. Hey lone wolf Rx is correct! It has been so long since I had read about this issue I forgot the details and my old brain filled in the holes with what I thought I remembered to be the story on that pin. Sorry for the errant info. I drive a 3rd gen Cummins and have never actually worked on a first gen engine. Just glad Rx was able and willing to jump in and get you the right explanation!! :)

Latest posts

Back