Whats up with this elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Blue

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of pieces of Chinese elm a few months back. I put a good coat of Ipe seal on the ends thinking I was good until I get to it. Well now I'm seeing lengthwise cracks down the outside of the logs.

What is going with this exterior cracking?

Is it just light surface cracking or is it going to ruin the log if I don't mill it right away?

Anybody know what this is?

Old Blue
Trying to avoid any elm log crack taxes, licenses, fees or penalties. Where else! but..............
Kali-bone-ya

I milled out some in our summer, and learnt a hard lesson with warping and cracking of the slabs. I had 2 whole logs left and stored them under roof sheeting that had protection from direct sun after advice from an experienced person. Approx 2 years later i milled them and to date all is ok.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/strapping-logs.248304/

Were the logs milled out during the summer?

Have they been stored out of direct sun & heat?? Were the logs stored up off the ground where moisture can escape evenly from the log ?

If stored correct perhaps there is stress within the branches.

Maybe somone else has input

If I'm able to, I will put a pick in this post. The elm is not yet milled. It's still a whole log and is underneath some others, I am pretty sure that it isn't getting much if any sun and it is sitting on concrete so there is minimal contact on the cement.

Old Blue

Attachments

• IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
It appears to be just the bark that is cracking, mine did the same but the soft wood and heart wood were ok. Elm is an extremely tough and flexible wood, I would say mill in peace all is ok.

The first flitch that came of one of my logs was left on top of the covered stack over 1 year out in the direct elements. To date it has not cracked or split just bowed.

From the Wiki :
Elms, hickory and ash all have remarkably hard, tough wood that has made them popular for things like tool handles, bows and baseball bats. Chinese elm is considered the hardest of the elms. Owing to its superior hardness, toughness and resistance to splitting, Chinese elm is said to be the best of all woods for chisel handles and similar uses.

Chinese elm lumber is used most for furniture, cabinets, veneer and hardwood flooring, as well as specialty uses such as long bow construction and tool handles. Most of the commercially milled lumber goes directly to manufacturers rather than to retail lumber outlets.

Back