Which 20hp Honda to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattBanchero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 20hp Honda engine to run with a 28gpm 2 stage pump. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 630, 660 and 690? I can see they have slightly different power curves, but set at 3600 rpm it doesn't look like a huge difference in torque.

Which is best for my application?

Thanks!!!

Not sure, never heard of those models. Except the 690. I have a gx610 and it's a solid platform. Parts are not cheap or readily available though. I had a gx620 it was ok. The plastic cam gear came apart twice while I had it. Not as reliable in my opinion. But parts are super cheap and everywhere. The gx670 and gx690 have gotten mixed reviews by the people that service them. But everybody likes how they run.
Personally I sourced a Kubota engine to use on my big splitter I'm building. And my dad has a briggs vanguard twin on his. That thing has been through a war and still keeps on going.

Steven

I have the 690 on mine running a 28 gpm pump. I di not research the others, not even sure they were available at the time. I sure didn't see them listed when I was ordering mine. It has performed flawlessly! The only issue I had was when the plastic cooling fan finally blew apart. It appeared that it had become brittle from too much time in the sun. Also, not sure where you are located temperature wise, but when it gets down to freezing I have to add a jumper pack to get it to turn over fast enough to fire. Oil is just toooo thick.

I haven't looked at any of the other engines out there. I've just heard forever how great the little Honda engines are. You guys think I should be checking out a B&S?

I would go with whatever you have closer support for. And honestly, if you are going new. You probably wouldn't have any real issues with either a briggs or honda.
I'm not sure if briggs has anything comparable in the same size range as the honda. The smaller 16-18 hp vanguard is made in Japan and is high quality. But the newer 20+ hp I have no experience with.
Kohler makes a 20-25hp that is comparable to the honda. I repowered a john deere 400 with one. It was a good motor, but it ran much hotter than I would have liked. Especially with the plastic intake manifold. But in the two years I ran it. I didn't have any issues.

One thing I have been adding to all my small engines. Is a oil cooler. They are fairly cheap and they actually help lower the temp quite a bit.

Steven

From my point of view it all depends on how you plan to use it. I have a tecumseh that is a single cylinder and it works fine. It will run all day at maximum RPM, but try never to run full throttle all day. It has noticeable more torque when it comes to a hard knot. I also have a BS twin that is more comfortable at 3600 RPM, but it weighs 80 or 90LBS more. 20 HP is not quite enough power, but will do the job. There are some adjustments that can be made to allow for your power plant. Any 22 to 24 HP V twin will work well for most every thing. A 28 cfm is good improvement over the 22 cfm. Thanks

I wouldn't look too hard at Briggs engines. The vanguard used to be the "better" Briggs but anymore I'm not so sure. My experience with two of them has been less than good. Stuck/burnt valves, blown head gaskets, disintegrating seals and gaskets, hard starting (especially in cold weather). This is on an 18hp horizontal and a 21hp vertical on two well maintained mowers seeing homeowner use.

I haven't used any of the larger ones, but I have been impressed with some smaller Honda clones from harbor freight. Unless it was commercial use I would seriously look at the big predator engine.

Why look at honda?? Ya got money burning a hole in your pocket?? The preditor engines are far and away cheaper and are proven performers!! But ot answer your question, I think they are all the same , some are restricted different to e p a nonsense in california and a few other states!! Look at some some info and you will see at the bottom in small print (not for sale in calif) sometimes some other states

I have a GX630 on my splitter. Went with that, as I didn't need the extra hp from the 690, but it was the same displacement (689cc). I figured the 630 would use less gas than the 690. It's a drinker though, but I get a lot done with it pushing a 28gpm pump.

Back