Who has never bought a brand new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to this day the only saws i've bought new was my 372, 2 390's, and a 3120. 372 by far was the best purchase considering one 390 blew the big end, the other got sold, and the 3120 had a chain jump and take out the upper portion of the bar pad causing oil to goop everywhere but in the bar groove. that really sucked :( that 372 just keeps chugging along. original bottom end but replaced piston and ring beginning of this year. it's pretty dang ugly but runs like a top still. i don't recall ever doing any carb work to it or even replacing the fuel line. it gets used all the time.

Never have bought a new saw. I have bought hundreds of used ones and boxes of saws.
Don't regret a mile. I've gone a long way for a used saw :cool:

Yep bought one saw new......April 1977.......my original 49SP.....tool kit, manual, grease gun and hat for $249.95.....haven't needed a new saw since.......though it was worn completely out by '92......since finding AS.....and getting CAD...it is totally rebuilt and ported and runs great again......it will last me out this time........

My wife bought me a new 2011 346xp last year never started or fueled from the dealer for four hundred out the door, the rest of mine have been basket cases and hand me downs.

Not one of mine, but I did help Dad by a Husqvarna 55 15-20 years ago. Have thought about getting rid of all of my used ones to by 1 or 2 new ones.

Jeremy

I've never bought a new saw, vehicle, motorbike, or farm equipment... I run on hand-me-downs, and I think I'm a much better mechanic because of it. My dad has never bought a new vehicle either, though he did buy a new saw the week I was born (Aug 1978), and after a set of rings it's still running, though of course I've ported it now, it's one of the Husky 65's pictured in my avatar, but be darned if I can remember which one (besides the fact they've had so many parts swapped between them).

I don't foresee myself ever buying a saw or vehicle new... I'm going to keep my old dodges running until they don't make diesel anymore.. I'll try and find spare body parts to keep them roadworthy. Same goes for the saws.. in 20 years I might get a saw that was new today!

No new anything here, why buy new when you can buy used and spend twice as much rebuilding it as you would on a new one? :surprised3:

Joe

My first saw I bought was a husqy 450 and it came from a dealer, it was a demo saw and it came with a warranty that I never used lol. So I'm not sure if that counts as new or not. Everything else was bought as a parts saw or rough but running.

Nope-I'm the opposite. This is not a hobby to me. They're tools. I like not having to worry about my tools and what has happened to them in the past. That's the reason I only buy new small equipment.

Now, bulldozers and anything with a value over $50,000 is a different story. But dozers are generally more durable than chainsaws. So there's that.

Never bought new. Wish I had sometimes but I don't make money with my saws. Just for firewood and my amusement.

Regards-Carlo

They sell NEW saws! Well crap, why am I dealing with this
71e7dfd15d4c557c55b024b8cd2eaa2c.jpg

This looks like a job for Bing Bell (I'll get the door!)

My first saw was new - Craftsman 4218 in 1994. It has hung in there and bucked 30 cords of wood...slowly, I now realize.

I am at 311,000 miles on my Dodge diesel....and still runnin strong!
I got a bad head gasket from Cummins and it took out #3 cylinder so I built a new engine (20,000 miles on it so far).. my dad's truck has 500,000 kms/300,000 mi and it fires up with a flick of the key... my buddy's truck had 650,000 hard miles on it when he replaced the engine.. he wrenches on logging equipment so you know the kind of roads he has to drive

I would be smarter to buy new ones ,i end up replacing 90% of the saw when i get a beater and most of the time could have bought a new one cheaper . But what fun is that .

Very nice. Very little new around here too. Newest saw was given/traded to me for some welding work. Otherwise I wouldn't have anything like that around. Second hand has severed me well. Sometimes headaches are involved but it saves some major coinage most of the time. Have a family to support!

Yeah I've run a few tanks through it, just with a 36" bar though. It pulls a .404 8 pin with ease. The 42 is goin back on when o get a little free time, I got some big **** to buck up

Has to be a bear! My 088 isn't quite stock, but nowhere near masterminded. It pulls hard but it is probably going to get turned into a milling machine soon. I'm thinking my 7910 will suffice for most of what I used the 088 for. And be a heck of a lot lighter!

Steven

Back