will an 090 hot saw hold up to milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman 907 808

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an 090 hot saw and wondering if it will hold up to milling? Tune it down a bit, mix the fuel rich?
I'm cutting hard woods, and looking for a little more power.

It depends how "hot" the saw has been made.
If it's just a mild or woods port it will be fine but if it has been serious "hotted" you will probably end up killing it as Hot saws are designed for very short term operation so it doesn't matter if they run a bit hot.
Milling cuts are WAAAAAY longer than hot saw operating times so having a robust saw is more important than having a souped up saw.

Tune it down a bit, mix the fuel rich?.
What do you mean by maxing the fuel "rich"
Richness refers to the " fuel to air ratio" and has nothing to do with the gas to oil ratio in the fuel.
Adding more oil to the fuel will in fact reduces the amount of gas that gets into the cylinder and makes the saw run leaner and therefor hotter.

I'd leave the gas to oil ratio alone and just decrease the revs, on a hot saw you probably need to reduce it by 1000 rpm if you want the saw to last.
Adding more lube just leaves the operator surrounded in a fug of unburnt lube that does them no good.

Most big chainsaws are not power limited, but chain limited. To use their power the rakers will need to be adjusted to suit.
In any case don't expect a significant increase in cutting speed.
All chainsaw milling is slow unless the rakers are knocked right down and a 25+ HP engine is employed and even then it's never lightning fast.

Thanks BobL, that's what I was thinking. Turning the rpms down.
I've been milling for decades with mostly circular mills, mighty might, and mobile demension in Alaska. Had a couple band mills too. Just got playing with some hard woods in Hawaii. Making slabs of Koa, mango, monkey Pod and ohia. Probably get a bandmill for resawing.
Enjoy this site, just found it.
Aloha, Steve20150109_151805.jpg

I've been milling for decades with mostly circular mills, mighty might, and mobile demension in Alaska. Had a couple band mills too. Just got playing with some hard woods in Hawaii. Making slabs of Koa, mango, monkey Pod and ohia. Probably get a bandmill for resawing.
Aloha, SteveView attachment 396583

That is one of the most beautiful slabs of wood I've ever seen. What is the variety?

It only grows in Hawaii, and is a protected species. Ilegal to cut green standing trees. These are all windfall from the last storm. I will be making a dining room table with two book matched slabs. After they cure. Thanks for the response, and aloha from Steve.

Aloha, I'm on big island. Kau area near Naalehu. Where you? Just got started playing with the wood here. I am enjoying the beautiful wood. Been cutting for decades in south east alaska. I sent a 12 inch bandit chipper over 4 years ago. Now I regret selling it. Decided to spend more time in the warm islands.
Aloha ,Steve

Pretty close to you, I live in Ocean View. How'd you get access to the koa? I'm jealous. I'd like to check out that 090 some time. I'm finishing up a mango table with ohia legs, too. I think ohia is under appreciated here. There's just so much of it.

Jeff

Yes ohia is very underutilized, and a beautiful wood. Have you milled some? Very hard, but worth it. Yeah we'll have to get together. Never know could be some big projects coming up and could use help. Aloha, Steve

Hey Steve,

I've milled a little ohia. It is solid. Friday I'm going to go mill some silver oak. Have you seen any? It has a very cool grain, kind of like snake skin.
I'd be happy to help some time if it's within my limited capabilities. What exactly do you do?

Jeff

Hey Steve,

I've milled a little ohia. It is solid. Friday I'm going to go mill some silver oak. Have you seen any? It has a very cool grain, kind of like snake skin.
I'd be happy to help some time if it's within my limited capabilities. What exactly do you do?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I have not milled any silver oak yet. But I did get to build some cabinets down kulakai with silver oak. I did get some rash. Beautiful wood! But will cover better next time I get to play with that wood. And Jeff, I do it all, from falling timber to catching salmon.sawmills and fishing boats. Furniture making and living on the beach. Just a round about, and a humble man.
So chainsaw mills are something i have played with, many years ago. Learning the fine tuning with these beautiful trees. I'm running an old 090 on a grandberg, 60 and 36 inch bars. Looking forward to hearing from you. I stihl got my AK#907 752 5790. Sometimes I go Saturday market at ov.give me a call.
Steve

Ran the saw through a buddy's beach log this evening, nice chunk of mahogany , aloha.

Attachments

• 20150128_185012.jpg
    20150128_185012.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 12
I'm looking at getting an 090 hot saw and wondering if it will hold up to milling? Tune it down a bit, mix the fuel rich?
I'm cutting hard woods, and looking for a little more power.
If it still has the stock carb on it then yes put a mild ported stock exhaust on it and dont let it over rev its a old stihl a true work horse

Aloha, SteveView attachment 396583

Wow! That is a beautiful slab! Koa brings a premium here stateside. I can't imagine what that chunk would be worth here. Thanks for sharing the pic man!

Latest posts

Back