Wire in Stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Oppermann

Deere Dude
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what to do with fence line stumps.

There was a barbed wire fence running along the edge of my woods nailed to oak or other trees. I want to saw some down for firewood.

A couple years ago I had a bunch of wire in one and went through a few chains before I was able to get splitter sized chunks.

The last tree I cut I left a 4+' stump sticking up and was wondering what I can do to them to be able to use the wood.

Assuming that vestiges of the fence still remain as you are cleaning things up?

I'd walk the line with spray paint and spray entry and exit points of the wire so you have an estimation of where the wire is. Should make cutting it more reasonable.

As a second idea, you can often find great deals online for safety chain and/or low profile chain. You could keep cheap chain on hand for this so you don't wreck your better chains.

carbide chains saw blade not cheap but will last for every cost about 2 dollars a tooth to sharpen. will stay sharp for a very long time

I have some semi chisel set aside just for this, as it's a common occurrence here. I'd be ashamed to post pictures of a couple of them, but like I said, that's their designation, and the reason I have a cheap NT grinder. Honestly, fencing doesn't worry me one bit, stihl chain doesn't mind it so much either. It's them damn tree steps or other stuff left in trees long ago.

I think I will try to locate them better and price a carbide chain. Thanks.

Sorry for starting this thread because I just googled the question and found a ton of threads.

my experience is semi chisel blunts just as quick on barbed wire, including genuine stihl. after being delivered some Ash that is riddled, I feel for you if you've got a lot of wire infested wood. I'm only running a ms 180 with pico chain though, don't know if wider chain would fair better.

I have some semi chisel set aside just for this, as it's a common occurrence here. I'd be ashamed to post pictures of a couple of them, but like I said, that's their designation, and the reason I have a cheap NT grinder. Honestly, fencing doesn't worry me one bit, stihl chain doesn't mind it so much either. It's them damn tree steps or other stuff left in trees long ago.
and glass insulators...........................

Many years ago my uncle had a huge maple near the street cut down by a tree service because it had become a hazard. Middle of it must of had rot years ago and PO had dumped concrete mix into some part of it. Talk about stuff being hard on chains...

I decided that unless I can cut it from below the bottom of the wires I will leave them as is. It will just not be as nice looking. I have plenty of good wood for burning anyway. Thanks for all your replies and giving me food for thought.

Back