Wiseco saw pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's truly a Nikasil cylinder, it should be fine. I'm running three of the Wiseco pistons- one each in a 440, 660, and the 372. No problems with damage in any so far.
I figure those were safe since Baileys had them made if I remember right.

I know the last pistons Ed had made the cylinders had to be relined.

I figure those were safe since Baileys had them made if I remember right.

I know the last pistons Ed had made the cylinders had to be relined.

Yeah I'm not sure why- although I saw where Ed made a post that some newer OEM cylinders had softer Nikasil than what he'd run into before.

Wiseco used the same chrome-lined rings in the Bailey's kits as their modern motorcycle pistons. They do make some tool steel 1mm rings for chrome lined bores but those are harder to find.

I'm not positive either. I was thinking of buying a piston for a 7900 and that was the deal.

yes I did think of that... out of curiosity, is it the seals that limit the RPM? because the sealed bearings I have used are usually rated to 12-13k or so... not 15 like saws need... or higher :)

seems like popping the seals wouldn't necessarily increase rpm capacity but that the seal was only good to a certain rpm... no?

I don't think typical seals have anything to do with rpm, it's all about the tolerance of the bearings and in some cases the cage material.
I doubt the difference in smoothness with the abec 5's would be very apparent on something that vibrates like a single cylinder two smoke motor.

Rpm limits on bearings change depending on oil bath or grease. Sealed bearings are grease filled and once the seals are popped they become oil bath bearings and are capable of the higher rpm. That's how I understand the tech sheets on some of the bearings I have used. Someone smarter than me can either confirm I'm right or call me an idiot. If I'm an idiot them those 12k bearings I used have lasted extremely well

Rpm limits on bearings change depending on oil bath or grease. Sealed bearings are grease filled and once the seals are popped they become oil bath bearings and are capable of the higher rpm. That's how I understand the tech sheets on some of the bearings I have used. Someone smarter than me can either confirm I'm right or call me an idiot. If I'm an idiot them those 12k bearings I used have lasted extremely well

That's the case. I confirmed the same information with the SKF technical rep here years ago when I started buying bearings from the local industrial supply.

Didn't Bailey's do a run of Wiseco pistons a few years ago with big problems.
I remember Brad trying them with issues. Then Baileys got rid of them to
a guy i know in Vermont. If memeory serves they were for the 066 or 046 saws.

Lee

There were a lot of problems, mainly stemming from selling those pistons to people who can barely keep a chain somewhat sharp.

The 066 piston I had from Baileys was too tight in the bore and would scuff almost immediately. I cleaned it up several times and it continued to scuff. IIRC, the 044 piston had the ring locating pins in the wrong locations. I forget the other details. All of mine went in the recycle bin. Obviously, Wiseco makes very nice pistons. Those from Baileys were not though.

Back