Wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what this is never seen it here before in manitoba. Looks punky but is still hard except just under bark.20170417_184203.jpg

Attachments

• 20170417_184220.jpg
    20170417_184220.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
I was also wondering cottonwood or something else in the Populus genus, i.e., some aspen or poplar. One of my usual questions when someone says "I've never seen it before" is, does it seem to be growing wild, or is it in a location where it could have been planted as an ornamental? Yard, streetside, park., etc? In other words, could it be non-native?

I've never seen cottonwood split that nice myself. the others may be right but around here cottonwood doesn't split, it shreds. the outer and inner bark doesn't look the right color either. this is the best picture i could find on the web of split cottonwood. it appears as though it does split in other parts of the world
hardwoods.jpg

I would say black locust. Cottonwood is soft wood... both grow wild in ny and I've cut both. The cottonwood is useless in a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a second look I'm going to change my opinion. I'm thinking sassafras.

Might be, but it's way out of the range for sassafras, and there is no orange in the bark that I can see. Even on long dead sassafras around here, the inner bark is a distinctive orange color. OP should be smelling root beer too!:yes:

Sassafras Bark
0b23ceae-51f0-4c4c-bb17-8cee92428d9b.jpg

My dad just dropped it off one day with a bunch of other trees he cleared from his yard. That picture of the black willow looks pretty similar to the bark and it is already very light so I'm gonna guess that's what it is

i can go outside in the morning and take a fresh picture of black willow if you want. itll look exactly the same as the one i found on the webs

Edit: we havent formed leaves on ours yet. but they look just like the ones in the picture too

Edit#2: i see i misread rarefish's post. i assume you were reffering to the pile of splits. those are what i figure to be cottonwood just for a reference photo. i have no BL around here and have never seen anything but honey locust in my area so if you say its BL then it may be. i was using it as a reference to the orange color of cottonwood bark layers which the OP's wood is not presenting. sorry i blew up in the above part, long evening grinding two 8'x12' holes in the earth to rid a yard of silver maple stumps

Jakers, I kind of skimmed over the first pic of the Willow, because it is a Willow. The pile of splits you said you pulled off the web looks like BL. We have lots of it, one of my favorites. I've only removed one big Cottonwood when I was a kid. Someone had planted it as an ornamental years before. We had a guy that bought all of our junk wood for $50 a dump truck load. The Cottonwood went straight to his lot. I didn't take you response as a "blow up". It's all good. I grew up 4th generation in the tree care business, and when I get out of the Mid Atlantic area I'm amazed how different similar trees look, Joe.

Back