Managing My Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions to make sure I have thought this through properly.

I've got about 50 aspen on my land from 12-18" DBH that need to come down. About 10% dead, 50% dying, and the remainder not looking so great, which means they are about a year or two from starting to show dead limbs. For those unfamiliar with aspen, once it is standing dead or dying, you need to get it down and split or it will be rotten in short order.

If looking at the property on a map, figure a 2 acre woodlot disected by a road running east to west about 1/3 of the way from the bottom (south) and a power line right of way that intersects the road at the southwest side and runs from southwest to northeast diagonally across the middle of the tract.

My initial plan is as follows:

1) Allow the power company to take dying/dead from along the right of way and those leaning towards right of way that could hit a line and/or pole. Although they always cut them down in odd shaped chunks (go figure LOL) it is worth dealing with irregular pieces to remove any physical or financial risk from accidentally dropping a tree onto a line. This should take a dozen or so trees out of the equasion.

2) This winter (early before snow gets too deep) or early next spring I will fell half of the remaining trees with focus on the dead and least healthy live trees.

3) Following winter fell remaining trees.

The good news is that as these trees are dying the understory has already grown up significantly. I've got red maple and norway pine coming in thick and with careful felling these will quickly replace the trees that are coming down.

I usually figure that an aspen of this size will yield 1/3 cord of stacked splits. That will keep me busy for a while in addition to the birch/maple/norway pine scrounge I already have ready to come home this fall.

Any suggestions?

Plan B would be to follow Step 1 and in Step 2 I would fell every remaining tree at once and then slowly work away at processing them into firewood which would probably take 2 seasons. This is enough time to get the situation cleaned up before the wood starts to rot.

Plan B would be to follow Step 1 and in Step 2 I would fell every remaining tree at once and then slowly work away at processing them into firewood which would probably take 2 seasons. This is enough time to get the situation cleaned up before the wood starts to rot.

Plan A. In that you don't have half of the trees laying on the ground for next year, awaiting bucking & splitting. Keeping the wood off the ground for as long as possible would slow down the rot process. Part of the sticks still up in the air would lose moisture more rapidly than on the ground.

At least that's how it looks from down here in the "temperate" zone. :) Never tried extracting heat from aspen.

svk, this was a couple of days cutting by myself. Drop them and stack on some already rotting ones and you will have no worries. I have access to a 75 acre bush that is loaded with poplar that I can take down. Lots of hardwood too but I'm taking the crap 1st to make owner happy. Biggest stuff is likely close to 20", these are maybe 14" or so and 70' tall. I'm cutting it all 12' long now to make nicer piles and easier handling. Lots of wood quickly.
IMG_00000189.jpg

Nice work there @cantoo !

I figure you get two full summer seasons without any rot on aspen that's on the ground. If I cut when the trees are full of water in the summer and zing a cut into the bark so it pops off as it drys, that could extend it. Otherwise aspen won't dry in log form before it rots. If its in bucked rounds and left in full sun for two summers it's ready to burn immediately upon splitting though.

My one difference is this wood will be bucked at cutting site and either hauled out in rounds or split on site and carted directly to the wood pile.

Looking for suggestions to make sure I have thought this through properly.

I've got about 50 aspen on my land from 12-18" DBH that need to come down. About 10% dead, 50% dying, and the remainder not looking so great, which means they are about a year or two from starting to show dead limbs. For those unfamiliar with aspen, once it is standing dead or dying, you need to get it down and split or it will be rotten in short order.

If looking at the property on a map, figure a 2 acre woodlot disected by a road running east to west about 1/3 of the way from the bottom (south) and a power line right of way that intersects the road at the southwest side and runs from southwest to northeast diagonally across the middle of the tract.

My initial plan is as follows:

1) Allow the power company to take dying/dead from along the right of way and those leaning towards right of way that could hit a line and/or pole. Although they always cut them down in odd shaped chunks (go figure LOL) it is worth dealing with irregular pieces to remove any physical or financial risk from accidentally dropping a tree onto a line. This should take a dozen or so trees out of the equasion.

2) This winter (early before snow gets too deep) or early next spring I will fell half of the remaining trees with focus on the dead and least healthy live trees.

3) Following winter fell remaining trees.

The good news is that as these trees are dying the understory has already grown up significantly. I've got red maple and norway pine coming in thick and with careful felling these will quickly replace the trees that are coming down.

I usually figure that an aspen of this size will yield 1/3 cord of stacked splits. That will keep me busy for a while in addition to the birch/maple/norway pine scrounge I already have ready to come home this fall.

Any suggestions?

svk, your property sounds almost like a mirror image of mine. Think of a rectangle 3 & 1/3 acre with the access road running in a diagonal fashion. When PPL came though a couple years back and trimmed everything back they felt was encroaching too close to the lines, they just cut and dropped entire trees, no sectioning up or anything like that. I got some good red and white oak scores off of that. I like your plan. Drop the worst stuff first and keep it off the ground after sectioning it up. Since asplundh came through my place a little bit ago, I've noticed the red maple and sweet birch really taking off now that they're getting hit with full sun. Which is fine with me as I like burning both of those species.

As of this morning 25 aspen are flagged for the power company and the service request has been confirmed by them. Another 3 or so of the easy fells will happen this weekend when I do some fire pit wood so I'll be over half way done with this project by the time the snow flies. Basically all of the biggest aspen on my land will be gone. Which is a little sad even though they are not the most desirable tree. But better to cut when they are useable than let them stand there and rot away.

As an update I've been working away at these. Including what's on my neighbor's property that he asked me to cut there are 46 trees left. I've cut 16 so far in 2015. There are probably another dozen or two behind the power line right of way that I'll probably leave since the property lines are undefined and I'm not interested in causing an argument over a few low quality firewood trees. Unfortunately many of these already have significant core rot but I've been able to split the punk out with the Fiskars and still have solid splits to burn.

Once the power co shows up (request has been in since mid August) the ranks will be much smaller back there.

Get some same coloured flag tape , give the Treeco a few extras close to the ones already flagged LOL
I would but the lead guy from the local crew is a richard. Last time he refused to cut trees that would clearly hit the pole/box but not the lines. I'd rather get what I can out of them and not ask too much. The good thing is that I can get at all of these trees with chains and come along or truck so it's not a huge deal if they need convincing.

Your plan A is called stage felling. It's done sometimes to reduce breakage where volume is heavy.

If you want to protect the understory and soils, deep snow can be your friend. On some units, winter logging is required just for that reason. The minimum snow depth required is usually around 2 feet of snow.

Another way to protect the leave trees is to walk the area, figure out where you are going to run your skidder or tractor, and fall trees to those trails. Falling trees towards skid trails makes for less damage and less hangups.

Thanks. I'm planning on cutting more of the non power co flagged trees next week while we've still got snow. Dropped a few over the road to save on damaging understory as well. We've only lost a couple red maple saplings while cutting since New Years.

Hell yeah I need help.

You didn't mention what kind of help. I need it all. Financial, psychological, and could use some help cutting too. ;)

Where are you at in MN?

Between Moorhead, Detroit Lakes, and Fergus Falls. Quite a ways away I'm sure.

Psychological help? Yeah. I'm your man. Not.

I'd make a trip if I knew it would be productive, and I could exercise my chainsaws a little. And if my schedule allows it.

Between Moorhead, Detroit Lakes, and Fergus Falls. Quite a ways away I'm sure.

Psychological help? Yeah. I'm your man. Not.

I'd make a trip if I knew it would be productive, and I could exercise my chainsaws a little. And if my schedule allows it.
You'd certainly be welcome to join me some weekend. It's about a 4:15 drive from DL to my place though.

Well, I think next time I cut, I'll try to drop everything that doesn't need convincing with a truck or chain hoist to fall clear of obstacles. Get them bucked and they can sit until the snow melts if necessary. Once there are rounds laying around I can hand split at my leisure.

Latest posts

Back