Woodmaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutler Tree 23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys havnt been on here for awhile but I put a woodmaster 4400 in 2 years ago and love it very easy on wood fill it once a day in the winter time I was wondering when you guys shut your owb off for the summer do you guys get inside and clean it up really good or do you just clean the ash out and that's it thanks guys for the help

I almost burn year around with a Pacific Western. A couple of times a year I let it cool down a bit, shovel most of the ashes out then hit it with my backpack blower to get the fine dust off the heat tubes up top. Last year I shut it down for a day while I fixed the smoke bypass.
I did screw up on the weekend though. I use wood crates to stack my wood in and in the summer I usually burn poplar but I had a part skid of 32" long ash so I threw it all in the owb so I could take the crate away and replace it with poplar. Too many coals in the stove and the ash caught fire, sucked enough air through the damper flap that the water got up to 205. Reminds me that I need to replace the high temp sensor that has been broke for 2 years.
If I were you I would clean it out as clean as I could possibly get it, wash it out with water, suck up the water with a shop vac, then throw an electric heater in it for a day to evaporate the rest of the water. Then spray the whole inside with an oil undercoating gun.

i usually scrape the ashes out and scrape the sides a lil. but I wouldn't crawl inside of it. unless i needed to make repairs

Yep! me too clean out the ash, scrape down sides and back, shop vac, light coat of oil, bucket on stack, and I shut the door but don't latch it.
I do climb in my CB to scrape the rear baffle as a lot of loose stuff hangs up in the corners . I use a old pump up garden sprayer to spray the oil and coat the bottom and a little ways up the sides.
If it is shiny black I don't coat it.

Ok thanks guy yea a buddy of mine told me I need to get in there and get it shine clean bc he thinks that moister will build up behind creosote which I think it won't

If he creosote is flaky I scrape it off if it is stuck on and shiny I leave it . This is what I have done since I installed the boiler in 1998. I do get in the boiler and scrape behind the rea baffle and the top surface.
It is a very messy job. Once it is all scraped I vacuum the dust out of the bottom and give it a light coat of motor oil mixed with a little diesel fuel to thin it so it will go thru the sprayer.

Back