Yellow Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow birch is good firewood. I like it as well as sugar (hard) maple. The smooth branch sized wood sometimes splits by hand quite easily, but the big trunk sections are very stringy and hard to split. If splitting by hand, try to whack thin slabs from the edge before attempting to split down the middle. Really though, a hydraulic log splitter is in order for the big blocks. Good luck!

I like Yellow Birch firewood.
It's pretty good stuff, puts out lots of heat burned
We have lots here, but I don't see it sold a lot.
Grab it up, split it and burn away.

I like Yellow Birch firewood.
It's pretty good stuff, puts out lots of heat burned
We have lots here, but I don't see it sold a lot.
Grab it up, split it and burn away.
I'm assuming its not sold much because people see birch they think they are getting less than oak btu's so it doesn't command a premium. I've never seen it sold either.

I'm assuming its not sold much because people see birch they think they are getting less than oak btu's so it doesn't command a premium. I've never seen it sold either.

Back in the day, perfect white birch logs got the absolute best loot down in beantown. Rich folks with fireplaces.

As a family friend used to say "there's a butt for every toilet seat". I guess I could save my primo rounds for this!

That's about $2000 a cord at those prices.
We've got tons of White birch around me.
I'm getting ideas for next Christmas sales already...or should I say visions of sugarplums and cash for white birch logs.
I must have burned up two thousand dollars in White Birch this season at $1000/cord.

As an update. This wood is now well seasoned. I burned some the other weekend and it made a nice hot sauna fire but at least by feel it didn't seem to be any heavier than similarly dried white birch. Oh well it was a fairly easy scrounge.

I've cut a lot of yellow birch over the years in the U.P. and Wis. If you come across blowdowns and the wood is sound, grab it, 'cause in these parts if you wait too long, it'll be punky. Agree on the high Btu's, and the peppermint aroma; take the kids on hikes in the woods and I'll break some yellow birch branches and let them sniff, they're surprised at the peppermint smell. We have a similar hardwood/softwood mix at our deer camp like you described at your place in MN and we like to burn popple and basswood in the sauna stove during the day when we're around to feed it and if we want it hot in the morning, and it's cold out, we throw in the maple/birch/cherry/ironwood, etc. for overnight.

Latest posts

Back