Z4lunch's 088 expansion chamber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw

Yoda
Reaction score
Hello Steve,
well I finally got the header and mounts finished for your 088 stihl expansion chamber.
enclosed are 2 photos of the pipe mounted on my 088 and also a photo of the 090 barrel. now these 2 items should enable you to keep up with doug babcock's slightly modified 3120 husky
ken
[email protected]

Ken, you forgot the stinger. What's up with that?

BTW, Robert is on his way back from the show as we speak. I just talked to Eastie's wife and she says she thinks he took a first place on Saturday and missed first by a few hundredths on Sunday. Unknown which saw, but I'd guess it's the 088. I'll call him later. Art and Marita were supposedly up there with him.

Pipe stinger

Hello Doug
I know that it looks like a mistake but on that particular pipe it comes without a stinger. I had the same pipe on my mac 125 kart a few years ago and I figured it needed a stinger, put one on and it dropped down .5 seconds. went from 4.8 to 5.3 seconds. Actually the stinger or opening is just a pressure bleed. if the opening is right it can be at the middle or the end of the pipe,it will run the same
ol ken

Beautiful work Ken! More of we have have come to expect from you, thanks for being so consistent.

Russ

Nice stuff Ken!

Art and Marita are on their way home now, Robert took second place with the Predator to Binford, I guess he got hung up on the cut....

He competed with Arts 655 Poulan but pulled a Lambert on the second day and it didn't start on the first pull so he still placed second with it by 2/100ths of a second. Art's Poulan dominated apparently...I think Robert is trying to pry it away from him now...
His 046 with a pipe placed 4th with Greg behind the wheel...not too shabby for a 6 cube class!!

I've got a copy of Gordon Jennings tuning book; He said that the stinger can be mounted inverted (pushed in) if desired, and the performance change probably will not be measurable.

There was a bonus, however, in that sound levels were reduced.

Hey Ken,
Steve here... Looks great, can't wait to make some cuts.. My wife is pretty excited about it too...ya right
Looks like the 090 should be a lot happier too!!
Steve

I've got a copy of Gordon Jennings tuning book; He said that the stinger can be mounted inverted (pushed in) if desired, and the performance change probably will not be measurable.
True, the stinger can be located any place , including the middle of the fat section. The only problem with running the stinger inside the pipe is it tends to build more heat than a conventional placement. Tcan be good or bad depending on the motor.

Steve - I thought your 090 for Baraboo wasn't going to be modified! I hope you bring the 088 to Baraboo for some exhibition cuts. I'd like to see how close the old Macs are to these new hotsaws.
P.S. (I know you have more than one 090)

Modified

Yes Scott you are correct, I do have more than one 090. I would be more than happy to bring the 088. Let me know exact times, and what day or days, that weekend in Aug.
Steve

Scott, the 088 is woodssaw modified, with a pipe, it's not really a hotsaw, but i would love to run it against the macs

Last edited:
Stihl 088 pipe

Hello Steve,
Nice photo of angi running that 088. she is a lot better looking than you. lol, The tracking no. on the expansion chamber is 1z8523310341597749, its supposed to be delivered on the 20th
when i tested the saw with a muffler it cut a 1.97 in a 10 by 10 inch cant. with the pipe installed it cut a 1.35 second cut. not bad for a woods saw
ken

Marita and I just got back from the Deming Log Show in Washington. The Predator had the best total time for the two days. Unfortunately, they didn’t combine the times and only used the best time for either day. With the 655 Poulan, they combined the times for the two days. Robert was in first place for the first day but required three pulls to start on the second day. His actual cutting time on the 21” log was 3.2 seconds. The saw that won first place was a piped 066 built by Howard Spanski. Howard Spanski also made the chain. The winner’s actual cutting time was 3.8 seconds on the same 21” log.

The Deming Log Show is the biggest show in the Northwest. There were approximately 4,000 people watching the events each day. The show has been running for forty years. The original purpose was to help the “busted up loggers” in the area. Thousands of dollars in donations were received from the businesses in the area as well as individuals. There is no prize money, only trophies. Everyone pays to get into the show even the contestants. There were events to cover all phases of the logging industry and demonstrations of the latest logging equipment.

We met some wonderful people while there. They invited us to their campsite and BBQ on Saturday night. It was also great to see Rotax and George again and to meet Bill, another owner of an unlimited saw.

Art

Steve here...
So I check the ups tracking number about 5:30 this morning, says the pipe is on it's way from IL. Then I call my ups driver in his truck..Says it's too full right now to check for my package, call back at 10am..I ran the number again about 2pm, and it said exception..OH NO!!! I called my driver in his truck again and he said he didn't have the pipe. He called his dispatcher with the tracking number, foud the package on another truck, the dispatcher paged the driver of that truck, and he was able to meet me at a hardware store about 18 miles from my house.WHew...
The pipe is awesome!!! I dropped a 1/2 to 3/4 of a second all day!!!
The workmanship that Ken put into this pipe/header and mount are absolutley world class!!!
Thanks again
Steve

stihl 088 pipe

Hello Steve,
Glad you got the package, Definetly Helps to have a ups driver that cuts with you every week end. I'll Just bet your neighbors across the street love to see you cut those rounds with that piped Stihl 088 KD. its such a quite little saw. lol,happy husky hunting
ken

Back