How Many 72" Skid Steer Buckets Equal A Cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmfiore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how many 72" skidsteer buckets equal a cord of wood.I am trying to avoid stacking the wood before selling it trying to eleminate a very labor intensive step(as we all know).I would like to just scoop buckets of wood and dump it into the dump trailer.I realize that this is not a very accurate way of determing a cord of wood but just thought that if I could get a close idea it might help me in the extremly painful stacking process any help would be greatly appreciated I only do about 50 cords a year and usually just to my freinds so iI will let them stack it and then if I needed to bring more I could but would like to be pretty close.

the answer is a lot.

i have a giant snow blue snowbucket. it takes 3 heaping scoops is around a cord.

we throw in a little extra.

the big blue bucket is 8.5 feet wide, 4 foot deep, and 2 feet tall.

if your bucket is 6 wide, 3 deep, and 2 high, then i would guess 6 scoops.

Dump 2-3 buckets in the trailer, then stack it, repeat till you have a cord. Surely you can stack it once.:)

190 cubic feet

A figure I've heard tossed around a bit is 190 cubic feet of tossed fire wood comes out to a cord stacked.

Figure out what height it needs to be in your dump trailer to make 190 cubic feet and mark it.

This quote is from State of Maine Attorney General website. In Maine a "thrown cord" is a legal way to measure firewood for sale.

B. Loose Thrown Cord

Maine law also defines a loose thrown cord[7] as: "Fuel wood, when sold loose and not ranked and well stowed, shall be sold by the cubic foot or loose cord, unless other arrangements are made between the buyer and seller. When sold by the loose cord, the wood in any cord shall average either 12 inches, 16 inches, or 24 inches in length. When so sold, the volume of the cord shall be: a cord of wood 12 to 16 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a space of 180 cubic feet; and a cord of wood 24 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a space of 195 cubic feet."

I have used this measurement for hundreds of cords of 14-16" wood and it does work. If you are using 190 you are giving a generous cord of wood. I have checked back with many customers whom I know stack and measure and they have all told me they got a fair deal. Many have told me they got a little extra. I would rather a customer told me they got a little too much rather than not enough.

Latest posts

Back