Dolmar 7900 HD Air Filter Kit - Pics and Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
YouTube videos:

----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xexjJduy8 An overview of the HD Kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfWE4r0ukM Me running the saw with the HD kit.

----------------------------------------

This kit is sweet. It really makes the saw come to life. It's frikkin' awesome. I paid $76 from a Dolmar dealer, seems that's the going rate. I strongly recommend it for those who are (or are not!) considering investing the money. Not only does it help with performance, but the air filtration is excellent as well. Watch the videos! :)

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

Last edited:
thanks

I have been waiting for some pics and and a review of fit & finish for months - (Perhaps I missed a pertinent thread) - you provided that and more. Great job.

Did it need much of a carb retune or is that waiting till you have time to tune in wood?

I wonder how that black will go with the gray top of my 7901?

The big lump of black and the underside intake vents help give the 7900 looks that match its Darth Vader nickname. I like it.

Did it need much of a carb retune or is that waiting till you have time to tune in wood?

I never needed to touch it. I think it naturally leaned out a little bit due to the fact that the intake of air is much greater now. But it wasn't an extreme change.

I tached it after I put the air filter kit on and it was running right at about 13,200 at WOT, and about 11,200 - 11,500 while milling. It's staying the same and I've run about 5-6 tanks through it since the air filter mod. She's right where she oughta be! :)

Yeah they are an excellent filter setup and a massive improvement over the standard filter.
I dropped 1150 trees ranging from 12" to about 44" odd until it was totally blocked to the point where the saw was running poorly with no power. Tapped the dust/woodchips out and it ran like new again.
Well worth the money for any 6400-7900 owner, and for guys that haven't bought a Dolmar because of the average but manageable stock filter.

Last edited:
just got my 84cc kit and big filter kit from baileys the other day

this will be going on my 6401:chainsawguy:

Yeah they are an excellent filter setup and a massive improvement over the standard filter.
I dropped 1150 trees ranging from 12" to about 44" odd until it was totally blocked to the point where the saw was running poorly with no power. Tapped the dust/woodchips out and it ran like new again.
Well worth the money for any 6400-7900 owner, and for guys that haven't bought a Dolmar because of the average but manageable stock filter.

:cheers:

If anyone has a picutre of the 6401 with black filter set please take a photo and post it I would love to see how it looks on the Makita.

Yeah as I've said before this new HD filter setup has put the 7900 right at the pointy end of pro saws as far as I'm concerned.

Hmmm, my next saw???:monkey:

They really are good saws and what Brad Snelling did to mine has improved it immensely over my other stock 7900 - there is no comparison, and as a work saw it still starts and idles like a new saw, just pulls a hell of a lot harder and faster - oh, and it sounds tougher ;)

Yeah as I've said before this new HD filter setup has put the 7900 right at the pointy end of pro saws as far as I'm concerned.

They really are good saws and what Brad Snelling did to mine has improved it immensely over my other stock 7900 - there is no comparison, and as a work saw it still starts and idles like a new saw, just pulls a hell of a lot harder and faster - oh, and it sounds tougher ;)

Yes, I saw all the work that you did with yours!!! I have a Dolmar rep 6 miles away ( hardware store) I just don't want too spend the money yet, looking for a used one or a used Makita 6401. But they are few and far between!
Did it need the mod work? or did you just want it done?

Yes, I saw all the work that you did with yours!!! I have a Dolmar rep 6 miles away ( hardware store) I just don't want too spend the money yet, looking for a used one or a used Makita 6401. But they are few and far between!
Did it need the mod work? or did you just want it done?

I got the mod work done because in all reality the particular tree job you're referring to is paying well, I needed another mid sized saw as a backup (as the only other saw I had to handle the majority of this job is the 3120), and I definately wanted that HD kit. I was never a big fan of modded saws but after the mods Brad did it has also put to rest my need for a saw in the 90cc class.
When the saw arrived from Brad I did not expect a massive improvement over my stock 7900 but I was in for shock. If I was being paid per tree instead of per hour this saw would have paid for itself 10 fold with the increase in cutting speed alone.

Looks like cheap flimsy garbaoge...

It may look that way but I can assure you it's not. Stihl owner perhaps ;)

Looks like cheap flimsy garbaoge...

I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but what makes you think so??

The whole setup is rock solid. I don't really see how it could "look" cheap and flimsy, but then I own the saw, and already think very highly of it.

Without me sounding like an a-hole I'd like to hear your thoughts....

The whole setup is rock solid. I don't really see how it could "look" cheap and flimsy, but then I own the saw, and already think very highly of it.

He's Jelous???

MCW, Thank you for the imput, now the search begins.....:cheers:

Last edited:

well stated.

Back