Poulan ... what size is my engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary1234

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a Poulan 2250 (36cc) and decided to get a second Poulan for backup (they cost less than $50 on ebay). I decided to go with a 2375 (Wildthing ... 42cc) so I downloaded the parts list .... surprise ... the jug, crank and piston are the same part numbers as my 2250. In fact the part numbers for the jug, crank and piston are the same for Type 7 models 2050, 2150, 2175, 2250, 2450, 2550 and 2375. These model numbers cover chainsaws rated from 33cc to 42cc.

Is this a ploy to sell the same saw to a wider consumer target market or am I missing something.

My brother has informed me of about the same observations, and he has been inside some of the saws in question (mostly Poulan buildt Partners). The ones he has been into are the same, regardless of stated cc's.
He also informed me that they are so badly ported that it is real easy to get more power out of them.
Otherwise I know nothing about this issue....:bang:

poulan

Hi Gary
For the most part, what you say about the different model sizes, being for a wider market share, is right on the money.
Of course, there is a difference in the bore and or stroke size, from the 33cc engine to the 42cc though.
These saws, in my opinion are stricty for ocasional use, homeowner saws, and no more, as the price reflects. They get a bad rap on here from some, but all in all, they do a pretty good job, considering what you pay for them.
EHP owns Husqvarna, and Poulan, and a few others as well, and the model name and number switch, is not strickly , limited to Poulan. Seems like most brands does that some.
Shaedtree

Gary1234 said:
I purchased a Poulan 2250 (36cc) and decided to get a second Poulan for backup (they cost less than $50 on ebay). I decided to go with a 2375 (Wildthing ... 42cc) so I downloaded the parts list .... surprise ... the jug, crank and piston are the same part numbers as my 2250. In fact the part numbers for the jug, crank and piston are the same for Type 7 models 2050, 2150, 2175, 2250, 2450, 2550 and 2375. These model numbers cover chainsaws rated from 33cc to 42cc.

Is this a ploy to sell the same saw to a wider consumer target market or am I missing something.

No wonder our 2050 runs like a striped arsed ape,:angry: it's got a wild thing motor in it, LOL

Gary1234 said:

Yes.

I think bugfart is right that they vary the stroke so they can interchange the same piston and cylinder.

I don't believe they are lying about the displacement but the power increase as the displacement increases isn't as much as they would like for you to think.

I've been inside a lot of these and can confirm that the cylinders are identical and interchangeable between many of those models.

retoocs555 said:
Yes.

I think bugfart is right that they vary the stroke so they can interchange the same piston and cylinder.

I don't believe they are lying about the displacement but the power increase as the displacement increases isn't as much as they would like for you to think.

I've been inside a lot of these and can confirm that the cylinders are identical and interchangeable between many of those models.

How is this possible? If the crank, piston and jug are the same no amount of con rod massaging is going to change anything. Even if he's mistaken about them all using the same crank you couldn't use the same cylinder and piston without having the port timing completely messed up. If Poulan uses the same replacement crank, piston, and jug they are either lying about the displacement or telling you to change to some standardized displacement if and when you waste your time rebuilding one of them.
John..

whatsnext said:
How is this possible? If the crank, piston and jug are the same no amount of con rod massaging is going to change anything. Even if he's mistaken about them all using the same crank you couldn't use the same cylinder and piston without having the port timing completely messed up. If Poulan uses the same replacement crank, piston, and jug they are either lying about the displacement or telling you to change to some standardized displacement if and when you waste your time rebuilding one of them.
John..

Well all I know is I have lots of different model poulans around here, 2050, 2150, 2250, wild things and so on and for the most part the cylinder is the same. I don't know about interchange of cranks and rods. Maybe you're right poulan is outright lying about the displacement on they're saws but I doubt it. I was just trying to logic out how it might be possible.:confused:

Somebody has to save the poulans! No matter how much time I have to waste to do it :D

Another thought would be that Poulan's web site Admin is a dope and he has all the breakdowns linked to the same .pdf . It would be kind of funny though if all the engines are the same, just mounted in a different chassis and with different stickers.
John...

Here's a little more info ...

I've got a Craftsman 36cc manual here and part #'s are ...
Cylinder #530012550 (sounds like it's designed for Poulan 2550)
Piston assembly #530071408
Crank assembly #530047062 (includes rod)

I also have the parts lists for Poulan models 2050, 2150, 2175, 2250, 2450, 2550 and 2375 ... all these have parts identical to those listed for the Craftsman. I havn't downloaded lists for all the Poulan saws ... there may be other saws that use these parts.

I appreciate comments so far, but for those who think the engine size can be altered when using the above listed parts ... please explain how??? Note that the crank/rod comes as an assembly. The Poulan saws come in different "types" as well as "models", I'm assuming that the early "types" are previous models. My Craftsman manual is for a Type 7 (and thus has the 2550 cylinder) .... the saw is a "re-badge" Poulan 2250.

As posted above changing rod length makes 0 change to the CCs.

The answer is very simple, creative marketing to sell the same motor on different saws.

Wildthing has a stroke of close to 30.5mm and a bore of 42mm giving a 42.2 CC motor. (Swept volume) Marketed as a wildthing!

Exhaust port is about 7 mm High so 23.5mm of compressed height and 42 mm bore gives a 32.6 CC motor. (compressed volume) Marketed as whatever else!

And to account for the 36CC they are likely using the mean exhaust opening or something like that to come up with 36 CC.

3 or more production saws for the same cost of manufacturing 1.

Myth confirmed!

not advocating poulan as my little experience with them,taught me that they are not a saw i want to try an get any work out of. but the 46 cc saw is stronger than the 36cc saw.so its hard to understand the piston being the same size.
by the way i know an old climber who is till trying to work. he uses the little green 36cc version. says its the best saw he has owned. i once bought an 028 stihl from him,so i cant agree ,but thats his thinking on the matter.

I was looking on the web site also...From the part numbers it looks as if the saw from 33 to 42cc's are the same thing with different lables on them. I guess it is a marketing trick.
Rob

Poulan

On my microfich, the Poulan 2050, 2150 2175, uses cyl pt# 530069606
The 2375 uses, pt# 530069607
The 2250 uses cyl pt# 530071252, and the 2450 and the 2550 uses cyl pt# 530069608
The pistons, for these different groups,also uses different part #s, but I didnt write them down.
Shadetree

Shadetree ... is your info current?

Shadetree ... your part #'s are correct for Poulans part list for saw Types 1-5 (parts list 530083628) except for the last part (530069608) which is a muffler gasket. I am assuming that these are older models of Poultan saws (but I could be wrong). The types of saws are listed on 3 pages ... Type 1-5, Type 6 and Type 7 ... it's Type 7 that seems to lump all the saws as using the same parts (My (new) 2250 manual's parts list is identical to Type 7).

My assumption seems to be enforced by my Craftsman owners manual. You can find the parts lists at www.poulan.com ... go to search and type in the saw model. Each part list download contains all 3 Types of saw.

I'd email Poulan but they only supply a snail mail address.

Gary you are right, I mixed that last part# up, it should have been,530069932. I went to the empart site where I order parts, and as you said, all type 6 and 7s use the same part # on the cyl 530012550, but after you go back to type 5 and below, the cyl part# change.
So I dont have any Idea whats going on with that.

saving $$$

So from all this gibberish ... if you are purchasing a Poulan or a Craftsman, look at the parts list in the owners manual. If the cylinder is listed as part #530012550 you are purchasing a 42cc chainsaw (even if the chainsaw stickers say 33cc or 36cc) ... it'll pay to buy the least expensive chainsaw that uses the 2550 cylinder.

Gary I went out to my shop, last night, and counted, 5 poulan saws, in for warrenty repair, and only one, was a type 6 it was a wildthing, the rest was type 5 or less. Most of the saws and stuff being sold on ebay, is factory reconditioned (I have seen them in stores too, being sold as new) , I wonder if that has anything to do with this?
Shadetree

Holy crap.
Just when we come up with a perfectly good conspiracy theory, some-one trumps it.

But a new player has raised it's head. type 7 ?
What is the type hype all about? I use the type that cut wood. What ever type 7 is needs to be stopped.

Type 7 is "number 4". (Korean slang for "sucks".)

bugfart, Iam not sure but I believe you might need type 2 to cut wood with. Type 7 is the type you bake cakes with, ahhhh Iam pretty sure!!!!!
But dont worry I wont turn you in to the Poulan Police This Time!!!!
Sure shows ya how f:censored: bored we are, dont it!!!!:dizzy:
shadetree

Latest posts

Back