Any experts on the little cheapie Poulans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the reason these saws have such low resale value is the result of a perception issue and not necessarily a quality issue. If I were out of town and needed a chainsaw to do some cutting (and didn't have one with me) a Poulan is what I would buy at the local big box. I think they're better by a significant margin than the current Homelites and McCulloch offerings. It's sad how far down the ladder these saws have gone from what they used to be. I'm a little concerned that Husqvarna is going down that same path. When price point becomes the primary determinant of quality, it doesn't bode well. I had a Poulan Super Clean (2150/2050?) in the back of my truck for years. Always ran when I needed it to cut the unplanned something or other. Primer bulb had fallen apart years before and it still worked fine....I don't mind fixing these saws, I just rarely do as there's no "reward" for doing so... And I do agree with the parts variability. Trying to match up a clutch drum for a little Poulan is an exercise in futility. I can have three Poulan 2000's and they'll all have a different clutch assembly. Grrr!

I have just been given one of these Cheapie Poulan saws...
It is a Poulan Pro 220. Several years old but not used much. Will not run.

If I were to ask... Would you guys talk me through my efforts to try and get it running???

Thanks
David

10-4
Will give repairing the PP220 a try.
It might be in my best intrest to learn to post pix first....
OK... Lets see it that worked. Snow Day 2014

David

Attachments

• Snow Day Feb. 14, 2014 004.JPG
    Snow Day Feb. 14, 2014 004.JPG
    591.9 KB · Views: 16
I have just been given one of these Cheapie Poulan saws...
It is a Poulan Pro 220. Several years old but not used much. Will not run.

If I were to ask... Would you guys talk me through my efforts to try and get it running???

Thanks
David

Sure, they are pretty simple machines. 1St pull the muffler and check for scoring on the piston. If it's scored you will need a donor or a parts saw.

a t-27 is needed for the ones with the cat muffler, for the carb tuning you may need a splinted carb adjusting screwdriver if you don't have a slot for a screwdriver on the jets.
replace the fuel lines, primer bulb and carb kit, 90% gets them down the road. just don't strip out the plastic. the ones with av mounts are not too tea bag for the home owner beater saw.

Well, I see that my Pix made it.
GeorgiaVol: Thanks for the info. Will start my own thread with Cheapie Poulan in the heading.
ckelp: I have no idea what a t-27 is. This will be my first attempt at Chainsaw Repair.
Will be asking questions about which parts to order.

Thanks
David

Well, I see that my Pix made it.
GeorgiaVol: Thanks for the info. Will start my own thread with Cheapie Poulan in the heading.
ckelp: I have no idea what a t-27 is. This will be my first attempt at Chainsaw Repair.
Will be asking questions about which parts to order.

Thanks
David

T-27 is a torx size 27 screwdriver. You shouldn't need one for your model of saw. There were many variants of that saw so new or used parts should be easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there with that saw. If you do a compression check and inspect the piston and cylinder only to find the whole top end is junk, there may be a cheap solution to bring it back to life. Let us know how you make out.

I usually have good top ends available if he needs one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had a few given, they go in the trash. Even brand new they are junk. Wild Thangs show up at the shop, unless uts a chain sharpen or very minor repair like a carb adjustnent, it's sent away, cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed.

Slow, underpowered, anti-vibe is horrible. Better than a hand saw, but barely!

Poulan Pro not bad mid 90s and older, but the new stuff, they shouldn't bother putting a removable chain or gas cap. Once it's empty, get a new one! Kind of like a Kia or Hy-undai car.
Easy on the Kia, 330912 miles on a Sportage Limited, still going.

Steve

I've seen very few of the Poulans with bad pistons/cylinders. However just about 100% of them need fuel lines and sometimes carb work. Usually the fuel filter is broken off the line and laying loose in the tank. Just fixed one for a friend yesterday.
The problem with these saws (for me) is that they are only worth about $50 when repaired, tuned, chain and bar serviced and so forth. So there's no margin in them at all for us saw flippers. I figure on average on these saws I net about $15.00. That's not much for all the labor involved. I do this as a hobby and not a business but the saws just have no resale market. And in this area, Husqvarna isn't much better. Everyone wants Stihls.
The up side is Sthil's keep blowing up so you make money fixing them the guys buying husqvarna's just wear them out or smash them and normally buy a new one because of the hrs on the old one.

Latest posts

Back