What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David,

@david_fillman
I wonder how many folks know what saw that is in your avatar. I have it's twin, brothers, and cousins, Great saws.

Bill
HI Bill,

I was a dealer for US Motor Power before they went belly up so a West Bend 820 powered saw was an easy choice for me. Fortunately https://www.powerbeeengine.com/ has started limited production of these engines again. I am helping Ryan with flow bench and dyno work. My son and I have 3 of them. root_ad.jpg

I also noted original poster asked about most reliable engine, not saw.

Sadly, good saws can be hamstrung by bad carbs, bad oilers, other bad parts which give the saw a bad name.

A saw is a machine with a lot of parts working together - a saw is only as good as the weakest link.
For instance, I recently had an otherwise dependable saw crap out because of a $0.15 check valve in the carb. I didn't know how to find or repair it and I damaged the carb trying to fix it.

One thing I have noted is that I prefer Tillotson carbs, personally, then Walbro, then Zama in that order, and I don't like Zama.

All good so long as you run the correct oil to gas mixture and remember to drain the weasel pee ethanol gas out of them and run them dry and fog the cylinder with fogging oil when in storage for a prolonged time. Not applicable if using canned gas like Red Armor however. Of course that don't applly to ancient 4 stroke saws other than draining the gas, fogging the cylinder before storage....

Just had my 45 year old Stihl 028 AV out for a spin on a maple stump I needed to shorten a bit so I can grind it off. I have not fired it all summer and 3 pulls and off to the races. I keep thinking about crank seals but so far it's just peachy. Kudo's to canned Red Armor fuel. Lots of hours on it as well. It started life back when I had a tree removal company back in Ohio and back then it was my 'go to' saw for removing limbs on the ground prior to chipping.

One of my buddies was with me and quipped 'that is a sweet running saw' to which I replied, it's older than you are. Way back when (don't exactly remember when), I breathed on it a bit and did the usual muffler open up but that was it.

Back