I need some Carburetor Advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I did some work tonight on the Wizard B0-13, if you'll recall, lastnight, it wouldnt start and run for anything..

So I pulled the electronic ignition coil off and the whole front was covered in oily saw dust. I cleaned it off, and sanded the front parts, and mounts. Put it back on, and the spark was slightly snappier.

Pulled it alot, wore myself out, but it finally started, and ran WAY too rich..so I got to looking, and saw this little screw in the valley under the carb...it was the L adjuting needle. Apparently it had fallen out a while back.

So I put it in, and it cranked up, and actually ran good, then it started running bad...then I realized the needle had fallen back out. So I checked, and the needle is loose in the carb, it wobbles, and vibrates out in a minute or so.

So I put a drip of loctite (low holding strength) on it, just so I could test it out, and it ran great. Idles perfect, revs smooth, cuts great, even with the old POS solid nose 18" bar, and sand dulled chain!!!

But it still vibrates loose, and makes it not idle after a while.

Any Ideas on how to fix this? Ill pull the carb tommorow and see what Brand and # it is..but for now, the problem is just the Low Needle coming out. The threads hold the needle, it isnt stripped, just loose.

I wonder if the spring on the needle is the wrong one, or if that has anything to do with it at all?

Shouldnt the spring hold the spring tight?

obtw, as I discovered last night, it is the equivalent of a poulan 3400, 3700, 4000.

Thanks, Tommy-

RED-85-Z51 said:
Well, I did some work tonight on the Wizard B0-13, if you'll recall, lastnight, it wouldnt start and run for anything..

So I pulled the electronic ignition coil off and the whole front was covered in oily saw dust. I cleaned it off, and sanded the front parts, and mounts. Put it back on, and the spark was slightly snappier.

Pulled it alot, wore myself out, but it finally started, and ran WAY too rich..so I got to looking, and saw this little screw in the valley under the carb...it was the L adjuting needle. Apparently it had fallen out a while back.

So I put it in, and it cranked up, and actually ran good, then it started running bad...then I realized the needle had fallen back out. So I checked, and the needle is loose in the carb, it wobbles, and vibrates out in a minute or so.

So I put a drip of loctite (low holding strength) on it, just so I could test it out, and it ran great. Idles perfect, revs smooth, cuts great, even with the old POS solid nose 18" bar, and sand dulled chain!!!

But it still vibrates loose, and makes it not idle after a while.

Any Ideas on how to fix this? Ill pull the carb tommorow and see what Brand and # it is..but for now, the problem is just the Low Needle coming out. The threads hold the needle, it isnt stripped, just loose.

I wonder if the spring on the needle is the wrong one, or if that has anything to do with it at all?

Shouldnt the spring hold the spring tight?

obtw, as I discovered last night, it is the equivalent of a poulan 3400, 3700, 4000.

Thanks, Tommy-
take the spring and lay it on a piece of paper to mark the length, then stretch the spring a little longer. you'll have the mark's on the paper to see you've stretch it some. should keep the needle from backing out.

sugarbush said:
take the spring and lay it on a piece of paper to mark the length, then stretch the spring a little longer. you'll have the mark's on the paper to see you've stretch it some. should keep the needle from backing out.

Ill give it a shot. Its not wonder it was a total PITA to start, with a missing Idle mixture screw..

Lakeside53 said:
You can also stack some small washers under the spring to give it more tension.
Ive got about 200 little washers I could use there. Ive also got various carb kits that I didnt use some parts, lots of little springs to choose from, if I cant get this one to work, Im sure there is one there that I can make work.

The saw is pretty surprising, the clutch sounds a little ill..Im slightly concerned about that. Might need to pull it off and give it a once over. What should I grease the bearings with? usually I use whatever grease I have laying around, and it's always worked great.

The saw much have a short stroke and a large bore...it is just hard to pull. Usually you get an almost pulsating feel with some saws, just hard on compression..but this one is different.

Hey Red

Let me ask you something. I can't help but notice you have all old saws in your collection there. I like older models too but I'm curious as to why you don't have any Huskies, Dolmars or Stihls. Whats up with that?, just curious, not knocking your favorites or anything like that, just curious as to why you don't seem to favor the more popular brands...

THALL10326 said:
Let me ask you something. I can't help but notice you have all old saws in your collection there. I like older models too but I'm curious as to why you don't have any Huskies, Dolmars or Stihls. Whats up with that?, just curious, not knocking your favorites or anything like that, just curious as to why you don't seem to favor the more popular brands...

Its just how I came across them..

The Poulan Wild Thing was a deal with a friend at my Small Engine School, Older Gent bought the saw new, and could never start it, so I bought it New without box for 35 bucks.

The Wizard B0-13, and Poulan 306-A- I got with a lot of McCulloch and misc. weedeater I got from a friend who owns a larger small engine shop. I got about 30 complete mcculloch weedeaters, a few IDC/RYAN/ECHO trimmers, a snapper commercial trimmer, and the 2 saws, and a Hoffco Whizz Witch Brush Cutter, for 100 dollars.

The Poulan XXV- I was given as a trade for putting fuel line on another Poulan XXV

The Poulan 2300 AV I bought at a garage sale for like 10 bucks, and it ran, and runs now.

The Pro-Mac 610 McCulloch I was given by a customer, he didnt want it, and didnt like the weight, it had only been used a few times, but was missing the starter cover, as the rope broke, and he never fixed it.

I bought a "parts" TimberBear for the starter cover for the ProMac 610, only to find that the TB was in excellent shape, and actually ran to perfection, the plug was faulty.

So I have 2 Identical saws, and 1 starter between them ( I need to order the new cover):clap:

The Little Remington Mighty Mite Bantam I got for 3 dollars at a yard sale, with a little antique Sunbeam 1/4" drill.

The Mac110 was given to me, and it runs fine, just is old and tired.

The Homelite XL is my dads, he bought it new in 1978, and tossed it out one day when it wouldnt start, so I plucked it out, and replaced the points, and it works great.

The Tanaka ECS-415 was given to me as a basket case. The Carb and intake were apart in a bag tied to the handle. Put it together, and installed a new bar and chain and it worked fine.

And Finally, the McCulloch FR4618 (mac 4600) was given to me a couple weeks ago by a customer who bought it new, and used it once, and never could get it to restart. Fixed the Rubber intake boot, new oiler line, and it works great as well.

Ive had 044's. 066's. a Husky 55 Rancher..among other saws, and I just didnt like em. The Stihls were too heavy, to me, didnt like the balance. Ive worked on quite a few Stihls, and I always test them out, and I have yet to use one I would own.

Ok Red

Looks like you got yourself a big collection there with very little money tied up in them, can't beat that.

THALL10326 said:
Looks like you got yourself a big collection there with very little money tied up in them, can't beat that.

Ive about reached the bottom of the barrel on nice cheap things..I had a line on a mint Super XL12 with a 30" bar and chain for 75 that I passed up...:banghead:

Considering the Hurricanes took out the last of the trees on the property...I really have no use for anything more than the XL...but Im prepared, should a forrest of Oaks and pines erupt from the ground overnight..:cheers:

RED-85-Z51 said:
Ive about reached the bottom of the barrel on nice cheap things..I had a line on a mint Super XL12 with a 30" bar and chain for 75 that I passed up...:banghead:

Considering the Hurricanes took out the last of the trees on the property...I really have no use for anything more than the XL...but Im prepared, should a forrest of Oaks and pines erupt from the ground overnight..:cheers:

Red you need a 3120xp for your collection ..

04ultra said:
Red you need a 3120xp for your collection ..

Yeah why not..its only 1300 dollars..

da_1_b.JPG

:hmm3grin2orange:

RED-85-Z51 said:

Well Red if I recall you said you wanted to open your own shop one day and if correct you have to get away from all those old models you like so much. See most people don't put alot of money in real old stuff, they tend to spend it on the new. So you might want to start thinking about the newer models and the major 3 brands. Without those business isn't going to be very profitable. Just preparing you for the future.

THALL10326 said:
Well Red if I recall you said you wanted to open your own shop one day and if correct you have to get away from all those old models you like so much. See most people don't put alot of money in real old stuff, they tend to spend it on the new. So you might want to start thinking about the newer models and the major 3 brands. Without those business isn't going to be very profitable. Just preparing you for the future.

Oh I Work on the new saws, no problem there. But something Ive learned is that it can be just as profitable to know how to repair old equipment too. Some people, both young and old, are willing to sink big bucks into fixing an old saw, before they will begin to think of buying a new one.

More than once Ive had people put 100-200 dollars into a McCulloch, just because Im the last person in the county working on them. I get alot of macs.

I had a guy offer me 125 just to take his eager beaver apart install new fuel line and clean it. No shop i nthe phone book would look at it.

I made 125 dollars in 2 hours.. He just liked the saw, and had the money to spend. 1 pull starter, ran great, just was filthy, and a gas line cracked.

Ive worked on the XL style Homlites, older and newer versions, again, people will put 100+ dollars into one, before looking at newer saws.

Heck, if I stopped and talied it all up, Ive proabably worked on more old saws than new ones. The old ones are easier to work on, honestly. I can have an XL down to the block, cleaned, back together and working in 40 minutes.:angry2:

I have no problems with newer saws, same deal, people put insane amounts of money into repairing them, but are actually more apt to put a "limit" on how much to put into a repair.'

Right now, Ive got a Echo CS520 in the shop, needs a few parts, no biggie, but he limited me to 150, out the door. Saw costed over 400 dollars, and its a little over a year old...no sentimental value, not even aquainted with it yet. He has no attachment to it. Now, if he used it alot, and had it 10-15 years, he would be more apt to put 200 dollars in it, to keep it around.

People are weird like that..:hmm3grin2orange:

04ultra said:
yup you most likely wont find them at garage sales.. And forgot to mention the weigh alot....

Well, seing as they weigh alot, and you have 2..and can only use 1 at a time, why not donate 1 to a good cause?:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :jester:

Id put a 10" bar on it, and use it as a pruner...:taped:

RED-85-Z51 said:
Well, seing as they weigh alot, and you have 2..and can only use 1 at a time, why not donate 1 to a good cause?:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :jester:

Id put a 10" bar on it, and use it as a pruner...:taped:

Nope I going to give one away for free to my brother.. I like my 084 better..

Man...I want a PM850..there's one on Ebay right now..it is so nice..I want to bid..I really do!:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back