High flow air filter for the MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlaw5.0

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there anything beside the Max flow for the 460?. I heard that Madsons has some sort of high flow filter?. I opened up the muffler, so the filter is next.

yep!!!!

Is there anything beside the Max flow for the 460?. I heard that Madsons has some sort of high flow filter?. I opened up the muffler, so the filter is next.

They do,,,, they have a metal cage that is wrapped in removeable black foam,, its an it oiled type filter and I did not see it listed in the catalog,,, when you call just ask about it!!I run one on my 044/460 OEM big bore saw and it works good,,, it is a little messy to clean if you are not used to using an oiled filter but not too bad,,, I like the Belray oil,,,,, I think I paid about 15.00 bucks for it

Last edited:
They do,,,, they have a metal cage that is wrapped in removeable black foam,, its an it oiled type filter and I did not see it listed in the catalog,,, when you call just ask about it!!I run one on my 044/460 OEM big bore saw and it works good,,, it is a little messy to clean if you are not used to using an oiled filter but not too bad,,, I like the Belray oil,,,,, I think I paid about 15.00 bucks for it

I guess that this is really a question for all, but which one of the two filters is better, the Max-Flow or the black foam one?

I guess that this is really a question for all, but which one of the two filters is better, the Max-Flow or the black foam one?

They both work good,,,,, performance wise

I think I like the black one better cause I can run my stock air filter cover,

The max flow cover is a bit fragile,,, for my kind of saw work,,,,, I already broke mine:bang: :bang: :bang:

Ive run them both,,,,

but for a stock saw The stock filter is great!!!!!!

The other one listed from baileys works good as well,,,,,,

I notice saw dust getting past the stock 460 filter. Is there a trick to getting the filter to seal correctly? I know the dirt bike folks use grease to seal around the contact points.
THANKS

Anyone have pictures of the filter unit from Madsens?. Does the replacement air filter(not the max flow) from Baileys flow anymore air?.

I notice saw dust getting past the stock 460 filter. Is there a trick to getting the filter to seal correctly? I know the dirt bike folks use grease to seal around the contact points.
THANKS

It has a rubber seal on the HD filter. If it's leaking then I'd be looking at the prefilter (needs to fit snug with no curling edges, and good elastic) and the filter seal itself.

THANKS

Dust builds up between the filter and the base plate. So
you may be having dust drop (top of filter) between the filter
and the base plate of the filter, when removing the filter.
It happens on mine. Most of the time I just remove the prefilter
and blow it out.

RiverRat2 said:
They do,,,, they have a metal cage that is wrapped in removeable black foam

Those are the filters manufactured and sold by Washington HotSaws. Bailey's doesn't sell those. The only filters that Bailey's sells are the stock HD and Max Flow kits.

Outlaw5.0 said:
Is there anything beside the Max flow for the 460?. I heard that Madsons has some sort of high flow filter?

Madsen's will set you up with a velocity stack adaptor and a K&N filter. However, to run this set-up you have to remove your filter base and run this K&N system without the filter base, not recommended because it exposes the airbox and on/off switch to dust and debris. Also, the K&N filter lets more dust pass than either the Max Flow or Washington HotSaws oil bath filters. If you're dead set on an aftermarket system, go with either one of those. The Washington HotSaws system is designed to fit under the stock cover.

Just wondering, but what about that Stihl HD MESH winter filter ending in 1653 maybe (Lakeside correct my last #'s if they are wrong please or back wards), wouldn't they flow more air then the 1654 (I think) and maybe be a better choice in the long run.

What experience has anyone had with the Stihl MESH HD filter compared to the stock HD filter? Do you still use the pre-filter on them too?

yes, you still use the prefilter.... They MIGHT flow better, but WILL pass more junk.

Many MS200T owners out here use the mesh type filter because they can figure out how to clean it (pour gas though it while up a tree!!), but crap on the inside indicates it a poor choice. It's only supposed to be used in snow conditions.

The only way to get a higher flow rate filter and still maintain a minimum particle size is to increase the effective filter area.

Pre-filter are designed to be easily removable and cleaned of fines.

You will increase your flow if you take off the prefilter, but then your main filter will block quicker, and it's difficult to clean. If you're racing, just get rid of the filter completely; if not, leave it stock.

Andy, I was just thinking of a option for these guys looking for a higher flowing filter. I thought this way they could have the stock look with better flow and not have to start switching things around.

I already figured out to get more flow in my case. :hmm3grin2orange:

Drink more beer or coffee :cheers:

Stay away from the K&N, although you can put a foam filter on the velocity stack. It attches with a hose clamp and is oiled with Bel-Ray. You have some stuff that is exposed with this set-up, but just blow it off with air when it gets dirty. Foam filters are cheap and the air flow is pretty impressive.You could also run Max-Flow's without the plastic cover. The kit comes with the extra plate. It is almost like running a stack.
People who think the stock HD systems are fine I obviously not run aftermarket air. The difference is disgusting.

Tree slinger what have you used to show the gains made running a aftermarket filter? When you compared the aftermarket ones to a HD Cotton to a HD mesh to NO FILTER at all. How did you show that gains were made running the aftermarket stuff? Just curious what the gains were or lost compared to no filter also? How did you test?

Could you show pics of your air filter set ups.
I did see a new 361 sporting a k&n set up with a fine screen wrapped cover of some sort sticking out of the carb cover at the local gtg this weekend.

Last edited:
Tree slinger what have you used to show the gains made running a aftermarket filter? When you compared the aftermarket ones to a HD Cotton to a HD mesh to NO FILTER at all. How did you show that gains were made running the aftermarket stuff? Just curious what the gains were or lost compared to no filter also? How did you test?

Could you show pics of your air filter set ups.
I did see a new 361 sporting a k&n set up with a fine screen wrapped cover of some sort sticking out of the carb cover at the local gtg this weekend.

First off all just by looking it is easy to justifly what works better. Open up your stock system and then open up a aftermarket system. Which one could you breath through better?
Secondly you can hear the difference, third any decent mod will not run to it's potential with a stock system, too much restriction.
Fourth the stock systems need cleaning much, much more than the aftermarket stuff.
And finally when sawing with both aftermarket and stock the difference is noticable - power, sounds and smoothness of motor (I know it sounds crazy)

Numbers? Don't have any.

The K&N breath good, but the spray on oil is not tacky enough to keep out the fines. Plus it is a solid unit with no give. Things get bumped out here. At least the foam will tear and you can put a new one on - for a lot less that the K&N unit.

Picture:
Left, Max Flow system - center Stihl HD system - Right, velocity stack with foam filter. Both the Max-Flow and the Stack take Bel-Ray oil.

Latest posts

Back