High flow air filter for the MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sILlogger

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
this is a velocity stack and foam filter from madsens on my 066
workpics001.jpg

workpics011.jpg

Buzz 880

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
First off all just by looking it is easy to justifly what works better. Open up your stock system and then open up a aftermarket system. Which one could you breath through better?
Secondly you can hear the difference, third any decent mod will not run to it's potential with a stock system, too much restriction.
Fourth the stock systems need cleaning much, much more than the aftermarket stuff.
And finally when sawing with both aftermarket and stock the difference is noticable - power, sounds and smoothness of motor (I know it sounds crazy)

Numbers? Don't have any.

The K&N breath good, but the spray on oil is not tacky enough to keep out the fines. Plus it is a solid unit with no give. Things get bumped out here. At least the foam will tear and you can put a new one on - for a lot less that the K&N unit.

Picture:
Left, Max Flow system - center Stihl HD system - Right, velocity stack with foam filter. Both the Max-Flow and the Stack take Bel-Ray oil.

Sling"r
Witch one do you find works best with a modded saw?

Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
Is the Max-flo filter avail for 084 modded saw Applicaltion:millng !!
Have cut foam for motor trimming ,using scroll saw ! Just a thought to make them as I like the idea ,as we all do ,of increasing airflow.The pre-filter would'nt be 2 hard either.Pretty sure matching the foam is not an issue.

.02 :chainsawguy:

Jacob J.
sILlogger said:
when you say "my" conditions do you mean rain? what are you getting at there? and which filter do you use in the max-flo?

I've tried the green weenies here, in coastal Oregon. On a rainy day, which it usually is in the fall/winter/spring, it takes about 15-20 minutes and they're soaked with water (mainly from the wet brush) and they start lugging the saw down. I tried several "covers", an old glove, boot socks, canvas wrap, etc.- all it did was make things worse. I run the Max Flows now with the white "fine pore" filter element and the stock Stihl blue inner spitback filter.

Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
I tried several "covers", an old glove, boot socks, canvas wrap, etc.- all it did was make things worse. I run the Max Flows now with the white "fine pore" filter element and the stock Stihl blue inner spitback filter.

boot socks:cheers: I'll have to add them to the duck tape ,WD , an barbd wire.
i :bowdown: to the mothers of invention.

am running HD - 1654's for now.

thenline

thenline

ArboristSite Lurker
Just curious if all you guys running the Max-Flow w/80-pore white filter and no cover have had to richen your 460's out when replacing the stock HD filter and cover? I just got my 460 set up with the white filter and custom made Outers Pre-filter cover (yeah, call me Suzie-Homemaker) on the saw and headed out in the woods today. Surprisingly, I ran ~13,500-13,700 with both setups, depending on how quickly I could switch back and forth. There was no repeatable winner in rpm jump/rise between the two

Saw: MS460 Magnum w/Bailey's BB Kit, Stihl DP muffler

Setup 1: MaxFlow white filter w/PJ1 foam filter oil (very lightly oiled), Outers pre-filter wrap, stock black plastic flange (no interference noticed, as per MF instructions)
Setup 2: Stock Stihl HD air filter assemly w/stock pre-filter wrap, stock black plastic flange, stock plastic air filter cover.

I would have bet the farm that I'd have to have turned out my high speed screw when I switched to the MF, but it didn't seem necessary...

Thoughts, experiences, etc.?

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Oh... something about Emporers and no clothes comes to mind...

Like most Chainsaw "enhancements", religeon comes into play.. those that BUY then often swear they help; most just stay quiet;)

Fish will no doubt explain it to you.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
The best test of a saws filter "inefficiency" if to take the filter OFF and use panty-hose as a temporary filter. Timed cuts, then... do the same with stock or whatever filter.

A filter still has to filter though...

Latest posts