New Splitter Leaking Fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good Morning Fellers,

Just bought a 2008 Huskee 22 ton splitter a couple months ago and have a constant leak where the piston and cylinder come together at the top of the stroke. Even when parked in the horizontal position and not having been run for a few days, it still leaks.
I can really strongly smell hydraulic fluid while operating it, which is while in the verticle position.

It's still under warranty, but before I brought it in and have to leave it for possible repairs, I thought I'd see if you Pros had any suggestions as to what's going on with my new splitter.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

If the seal head on the cylinder is leaking, it's probably best to take it back if you just got it. Are there any nicks or dings in the plating on the piston? I have the same splitter and will look today to see if the head looks as if anything can be done other than a new seal kit.
Did you get it from T. S. like I did? I have a few issues too. Nothing too major and I'm not going to waste the trip back to the store. Mine has rust starting under the paint on the hyd. oil reservoir. All the paint will surely be gone from the tank soon. Got the unit 8 mo ago, but oh well, it wasn't prepped for paint right and so I'll blast and shoot it. My main beam has twisted also. Not bad enough to affect the way it works. very slight. Bugs me though, but the splitter does work well.
This is the price I pay for trying to save a buck. The difference in money was enough that if I wanted a really good unit, it was too much and I wouldn't have one at all. So it is what it is, and I would be better to fix it myself.

You paid good money for that splitter. If it is under warranty, I would bring it back and let them exchange it. No fuss, no muss.

Good Morning Fellers,

Just bought a 2008 Huskee 22 ton splitter a couple months ago and have a constant leak where the piston and cylinder come together at the top of the stroke. Even when parked in the horizontal position and not having been run for a few days, it still leaks.
I can really strongly smell hydraulic fluid while operating it, which is while in the verticle position.

It's still under warranty, but before I brought it in and have to leave it for possible repairs, I thought I'd see if you Pros had any suggestions as to what's going on with my new splitter.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Interesting you should mention this. I've got a new 35 ton Huskee that I bought from TSC and it does the same thing. I just keep it tipped downward at the trailer ball end and it doesn't leak.

....the good thing about TSC is they have a 90 day no questions asked policy. Take it back and get a new one, no charge. I've got a month to go on mine before I take it back and get a brand new one now that I've split 30 or so cords with it............GRIN

I've got the 22 ton Huskee and it's a few years old. No problems here. I guess the only complaint that I have is that I wish it had a little more oomph going through big knots. Overall I'd recommend it for a person splitting wood for their own use.

I'd take it back if I were you and see if I could get another one. I think mine's made in Colorado. I know it's made in the USA. Are the new ones made in the USA?

Danny

We had the same problem with our Huskee 35 ton splitter. Brought it in for service and they replaced the cylinder under warranty. Only downside was it took 3-4 weeks for the parts to arrive. Apparently there is a big demand for replacement cylinders.

If I can derail this thread a bit please I have a splitter that is about 10 years old and it leaks between the threads where it attaches to the cylinders will regular pipe dope work to fix this or do I need something special?

Would you believe I may have overfilled the reservoir? :blush: :monkey: Checked it today and it seems to have stopped dripping. :buttkick:

Sorry for the :spam: :monkey: .

Overfilling the tank may cause oil to be blown out of the breather cap, but not from the cylinder. If it's stopped, fire it up & run it for awhile, maybe the seal or packing expanded enough to seal it now? Shouldn't matter though, I've used dozens of brand new rams, none ever leaked when new.

Back