009 backfires and sounds like a ported 66

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaShot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So...
Got an 009 for free last week, and it's pretty filthy and doesn't look too well maintained. There was about 2 pounds of greasy sawdust trapped under the air filter. Anyway, I got it running and it sounds and feels pretty crazy. It grunts pretty low, and it "pops" pretty strongly a few times per second. It also vibrates REALLY violently. :chainsaw:

There is no muffler screen. There are no piston rings (what the heck happened to them?) and a little gas leaks around the piston when I move it.

So...
Will a new muffler screen, air filter, and carb adjustment fix the popping? What's the most I should pay to have a shop put new rings on?
Thanks!

I'd like to see it run like a ported 066................HAHAHAHAHA:greenchainsaw:

Ok

only place a ported 66 should ever run is on an alaskan mill:monkey:

Only place huh? I got news for ya.......I use one everyday logging, falling timber. I was just joking......but if you want to be a smart A$$....fine then..I will be too. Don't say a saw should ONLY be used for this, or that......it will come back to bite you. You ever run a ported 066?:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw: :censored:

only place a ported 66 should ever run is on an alaskan mill:monkey:

Oh....BTW...milling is the hardest thing on a saw. I have no reason to mill lumber with a chainsaw.....I'll just get my buddy to do it for me with his 66" circle mill...or the mill down the road from me will gladly do it as well, or any of the ones that I sell logs to.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Only place huh? I got news for ya.......I use one everyday logging, falling timber. I was just joking......but if you want to be a smart A$$....fine then..I will be too. Don't say a saw should ONLY be used for this, or that......it will come back to bite you. You ever run a ported 066?:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw: :censored:

Relax dude, nobody's gonna bite anybody I hope. :cheers:
Actually never have run a 66. Ran 44's at work for years and rarely needed more. Sure a 66 would have been nice on some of the bigger snags tho.

Latest posts

Back