009 Project Saw Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guarddog1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here are some pics of an 009 project saw I am going to bring back from the dead I will keep you guys posted with pics as I progress.

IMG_20101030_150038.jpg

IMG_20101030_150046.jpg

looking forward to the results!

so did it fire up or was it seized?????

cool deal!!!

yea i have 2 myself one i bought new its still in mint shape and one i got recently from CL its not bad and runs real strong got it for 60 bux so i was pleased ive never seen an 009 so dirty!!!!! be nice to see some one clean it up!!! I cant get why folks dont clean there saws at least once every few months LOL!

I say this in every 009 post ive ever seen . Unless you know exactly what your getting into do not pull that cylinder off that saw . OMG . i did and it was a nightmare getting the bearings back in the big end of the connecting rod.

I say this in every 009 post ive ever seen . Unless you know exactly what your getting into do not pull that cylinder off that saw . OMG . i did and it was a nightmare getting the bearings back in the big end of the connecting rod.

It has to come off so wee shall see how it goes the crankcase needs to be replaced were the handle attaches is broken off.

a nightmare getting the bearings back in the big end of the connecting rod.

I agree. Been there done that:) I used some grease to hold the rollers in place. You could try putting a couple of zip ties around the big end to hold it in place.

Regards

Phil

Just keep in mind that if the connecting rod slips to the left or the right in the slightest the bearings will dump . before you pull the cylinder look thru intake and exhaust and see if you can figure out some kind of bearing holde to keep the crank from sliding off. trust me it will be well worth the time spent . it took me 4 hours to get the bearings restacked in the saw.

They are fun little saws to port, that grease trick does work to get the bearings together, been there two. Reed valve is a bit of a bottle neck but it can be worked with.

attachment.php

They port up well but need to be careful not to go too high with the compression or they get nasty for starting esp if doing tree work.

how do the muffler mod?

i got 2 one i love its mint since 1996 the other means not to much but runs real strong!!! it could be a guinie pig whats the best thing to type 009 muffler mods???

Progress pics

Here are some progress pics I took real quick saw is almost done now need more parts. Your sugestions of holding the rod were great I used a zip tie and it worked great.

IMG_20101212_113721.jpg

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

Looking good this rebuilt. I have some emotional attachment to Stihls 009 since they were the first saws I bought and used, a 009 L and a 009 !

Guarddog1, if you manage to get a way to include some anti-vibration mechanism in this saw, you'll get the nobel prize for mechanics! :rock:

Back