020 leaking gas ,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
tell me what i should look for before i tear this thing apart and where to actually find part(lines and or etc)

leeks wwhether it is upright or on its side ,and sucks because this thing really eats

My guess is the fuel line.....where the grommet enters the tank.
Replace the fuel filter too.
Definetly not a fun saw to work on........but not the worst.
Good luck

any advice before i start taking things out ,what to do what not to do?

never worked on a 020 ,hell i got little experience working on saws

alllright,man i hope this gos well this thing would cluckin eat ,pleanty of power

Don't forget the screw in the deep hole on the clutch side. It's in front of the bottom of the muffler and might be full of crap. I have seen several cases broke because this. Check and make sure the fuel tank gasket is not leaking.

020av solution:

Get into bowler stance with 020 in hand. Take three steps and release 020 in air directly at garbage can...yell "steeerike"...then enjoy the frustration you just saved yourself. :msp_biggrin:

why would i do that to afree saw that runs like a olympic sprinter and powerlifter mixed together

hate how boxy it is,and lil heavy with what1looks like a 18" bar,def gonna go shorter on the bar

is there a site that carries 020 parts?

why would i do that to afree saw that runs like a olympic sprinter and powerlifter mixed together

hate how boxy it is,and lil heavy with what1looks like a 18" bar,def gonna go shorter on the bar

is there a site that carries 020 parts?
There's a couple thousand 020 parts listed on Ebay right now. About anything you could want, or need for an 020.

permatex forma seal ,anybody ever used this to make a gasket ,i got it apart and the gasket just feel to pieces

also where the fuel lin gos through the tank ,it doesnt seem to be making a good seal,it can move around in the hole????

permatex forma seal ,anybody ever used this to make a gasket

I have fixed my Stihl 020 AVP gas tank with Permatex® Aviation Form-a Gasket and gasket paper. Plain Permatex didn't stick, but with gasket paper it has been fine for ~3 months now.

I draw the gas tank outline on the gasket paper sheet. Then left some space for the gas tank edges and screw holes. Applied Permatex on both sides and fastened the parts together. I let it dry for ~24 hours before testing with gasoline. Hope this helps if you haven't tried it yet...

yea well it didnt work at all ,i got a gasket coming soon...the permatex is not gas resistant at al

cant get the damn thing tuned for nothin,ill have it idle'n perfect ,have the H set to screaming and then back it off just a tad and all gos well,but illl test it out and bam starts idle'n to high ,then to low then cuts off etc really frustrating ,there is no air leak from what i can tell

permatex forma seal ,anybody ever used this to make a gasket ,i got it apart and the gasket just feel to pieces

also where the fuel lin gos through the tank ,it doesnt seem to be making a good seal,it can move around in the hole????

As you found out the permatex doesnt hold up. I tried that on my 070. Gotta be gasket. As far as the fuel lune goes, i think its 5.7mm od. The line fits tthe hole tight so it gets a good seal. i jujust did an 011 tune up so i feel your pain.

As you found out the permatex doesnt hold up. I tried that on my 070. Gotta be gasket. As far as the fuel lune goes, i think its 5.7mm od. The line fits tthe hole tight so it gets a good seal. i jujust did an 011 tune up so i feel your pain.

The 011 has a completly different fuel setup than a 020. The 020 has a nipple on the end of the fuel line that connects to the carb through a flange. It's a breed of it's own. I would change the bar out to a 14 or 16 an 18 is a bit much for that saw.

yea well it didnt work at all ,i got a gasket coming soon...the permatex is not gas resistant at al

cant get the damn thing tuned for nothin,ill have it idle'n perfect ,have the H set to screaming and then back it off just a tad and all gos well,but illl test it out and bam starts idle'n to high ,then to low then cuts off etc really frustrating ,there is no air leak from what i can tell

I was also disapointed how Permatex worked as it should resist gasoline :mad:. But main thing is it works with gasket paper.

Earlier this week I changed carb gaskets / diaphragms and gas line, but couldn't tune it up and it hardly ran. I feared there is a leak in crankcase, but first decided to re-clean the carb and noticed there was a tiny chip below the new strainer. Removing that (and cleaning the carb again) fixed the tune up problem. At the same time I noticed that the idle screw didn't really work i.e. it seems the gas trigger & springs do not return the throttle lever and I can't adjust idle with the idle screw. Can tune it up only with L and H.

Today I used the saw while collecting fire wood and indeed I had to adjust it a couple of times during the day. My earlier tune ups this week didn't work this morning (idle was running like hell), but with L screw managed to have it run ok. Dunno if this is the right way, but the idle screw didn't seem to do anything. It is very handy tool and seems to have plenty of power once it runs ok :biggrin:.

Just a recap regarding the Permatex and gasket paper fix. It has been holding gas in the tank for all these years. After fixing the carb with a WA carb kit (http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/WAseries.pdf) I really haven't had that much trouble, low speed just needs some tuning when running in hot or cold weather. Other than that it has been very nice package for my needs:chainsaw:.

The funny thing is I have just got hold of two of little saws and one leaks and one doesn't. So I'll be making a gasket one this week shame parts are hard to come by for these little saws

The funny thing is I have just got hold of two of little saws and one leaks and one doesn't. So I'll be making a gasket one this week shame parts are hard to come by for these little saws
200 T parts? Which?

Latest posts

Back