.020 Raker Gauge???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by ehp
one question Rich , Why?

Experimentation. I had a chat with Ken Dunn earlier in the year regarding a saw that he modded that I now own. He stated that this saw runs best with the rakers set at .017 or .018. Understand that I am new to all this chain Tom Foolery. I figured I would experiment. I am not interested ( at this point ) in trying square ground as they are too difficult to file in the field.

Any input on this subject would really be appreciated!

i would think he was talking about square ground chain, Rich a ported 346 will pull 3/8's stock chain very easy and the rackers are at .025 so why would you need to go less than that and the 346 i was playing with today is at .028 racker and on muffler was right for that saw with a 7 pin gear, on pipe it should of had a 8 pin on it,
Rich buy a grinder and be happy, you will like it

treelimbs,

fast chains don't have chipper teeth, and fast saws don't run chipper chain. joe

Joe, There is a difference between chipper chain and round ground chisel chain. Rich stated that he wasn't interested in square GROUND chain not that he didn't want square shaped cutters. Round ground chisel chain is easier to field dress for most people.

I think Joe Lamb was just kidding around.
Rich don't listen to Ed about anything but racing saws. Ed likes to rip the wood out in huge chunks.
I have found that 20 thou. riders are best for work chain with regards to smoothness, vibration and wear to terminal parts.
Madsens sells the 20 thou. Oregon gauge.
John

dang .. after reading eds post on .25
being best ,i was thinking well i ll have to re examine the subject ,as i kinda lean to the .20 raker gauge setting..[depending on the saw..] now another man i would say is qualified to
speak with experience to back him up says .20 .
john lambert..
kinda leaves a feller confused.
wouldnt mind reading furthur discussion of the subject..
now when i get my 372 back ,im pretty sure ill be setting it at .25 from what dan says..it ought to have the power to pull that setting and hold the desired rpm ,in most any wood..i aint gonna say what that rpm is .. an dan says dont check ,or it ll scare me to death..:D
in any case i would like to read further imput on the subject..

i would agree mike.. so many variables ,it really depends on what u are running ,an what u doing with it.. thanks

Sedanman, there's also a difference between round ground chisel and square ground chisel. It's call speed!
joe

Joe i think you and I are on the same page here , I would far sooner let the saw do the work for me instead of pushing my guts out try to make it cut

Back