020avp Super Electronic Quickstop Build Finally Done...For Now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was able to get a week off at the end of April, so I traveled to WI and finished off a saw I had been working on six months ago. There were two parts that it needed...a wrap handle and a new air filter cover...and I had found them since I was last in Wisconsin in November. It felt good to finish another saw...I have so many of them laying around at different stages of assembly. Anyway, this saw is an 020av super top handle that I have installed the "Professional" rear handle on. I started with one of two busted up 020aveq saws that I had gotten in a lot on fleabay last summer. Both the saws were missing parts, though they both tested good on spark and both had 150psi+ compression. Since I already had two other 020av top handle saws, I decided to convert one to rear handle.

The tank was all busted up on one of em, so I started with that one since I had plenty of NOS parts laying around. I replaced both tank halves with NOS parts. The outer tank half/recoil that I had isn't the "super" version with the extra vents, but those seem to be hard to come by and I didn't want to wait for one. I installed a NOS dual pickup fuel line kit and a NOS nameplate. I also installed a NOS oil pump cover, sprocket, and muffler. I had a NOS chainbrake side cover without the guts, so I took one of the busted up covers from the pair of saws and swapped over the guts. That was a PITA...and required some drilling to remove the alignment pin and brake band. To finish it off, I installed a NOS rear handle, NOS top handle, NOS AV buffers, and a NOS air filter cover.

The saw is "done" for now. I will either repaint or replace the crankcase in the future if I have time and/or one comes along at a decent price. I am also toying with the idea of re-doing the silver Professional lettering on the handle. It could also use a new "Made In West Germany" badge on the starter. The current one is a little dinged up.

I started with the one on the right:
DSC01909.JPG

New tank installed:
DSC02256.JPG

Professional handle installed:
DSC02278.JPG

Picture of it with my an 020AVP owned by my boss that I fixed for him. His saw is all-original, including the bar and functioning isolating brake. Just needed some carb work:
DSC02710.JPG

Picture of the two rear handled 020s as well as my other two top-handle 020AV supers:
DSC02716.JPG

Link to the album with the rest of the pictures for anyone interested: 020AVESQR Build

Great work. Love those old saws. I'm working on a 020av right now as well. Just curious, you mentioned the Super model 020 has additional vents, could you elaborate on this some more please? Didn't know about this. Thanks ~Z

Oldmanriver, sorry I didn't see your reply until now. The additional vents are visible in the picture on the bottom. If you look at the recoils on the saws that are in the upper and upper right hand of the picture, you will see vents above the Stihl badge. Those are not present in the recoil covers of the two saws toward the bottom of the picture. There are also three more vents on the angled part (toward the front) of the recoil. Those are the super vents I was talking about.

Latest posts

Back