023L What's with the "L?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I inherited a junker 023L... strange beast, and I don't get it. Why did they build it differently than the regular 023?

Take a look at the pics... the filter arrangement is strange.. all the air is pulled in through a fairly small hole. Also, look at the muffler guts.. why do this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I inherited a junker 023L... strange beast, and I don't get it. Why did they build it differently than the regular 023?

Take a look at the pics... the filter arrangement is strange.. all the air is pulled in through a fairly small hole. Also, look at the muffler guts.. why do this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Giant I can't answer your questions, but I have one for you. Where in the hell do you buy shoes that will fit you. Your foot makes that saw look like a:censored: toy.:cheers:

Last edited:
Lesbian?

Its a female saw, thats why it has all that extra plumbing up in its box....:jawdrop:

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is the intake hole is a baffle, to silence the intake.

And the exhaust parts are to keep the exhaust quiet.

L- Lo-decibles?

DId some research...Actually found the answers on the Stihl Website...

ms_023c.jpg

023 L - the quietest petrol-driven chainsaw in the world
The model 023 L from STIHL is the quietest petrol-driven chainsaw in the world. Together with the electric chainsaw model E 14 C, it is awarded the "Blue Angel" ecology mark.

Introduced in 1995.

Should try to get it running...or sell it..or something?

023l

L means reduced noise.They have blowers with the same designation. It really means low power. Intake is so muffled it hardly runs. It's for hippies who don't want to disturb the other trees in case they are sleeping.

A quiet chainsaw? Thank God! Finally, they have done it. I think we can all relax now, everything is going to be ok.

So tell me.. is there any point to putting it back to original? Is it a museum piece or anything? I do have the parts to turn it back into a regular 023.

023l

I've never seen one. The fuel system (carb) comes into play. Just changing air intake and exhaust may not be enough. The carb had smaller jets. They altered the cylinder also. I would imagine ports and port timing. It might run worse after the modifications. I don't think it's of any value. More of a white elephant than anything else.

A quiet chainsaw? Thank God! Finally, they have done it. I think we can all relax now, everything is going to be ok.

So tell me.. is there any point to putting it back to original? Is it a museum piece or anything? I do have the parts to turn it back into a regular 023.

Put it back to regular 023, and list the "L" parts on greedbay. "ultra rare limited production 023L conversion kit" You'll fund your next 3 projects. Better yet, sell it as is, and buy a regular 023.

Maybe I can make a business welding mufflers shut, and selling them to the tree huggers. "L model Kart muffler......."

Latest posts

Back