024 AV Super or 015 AVT ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been wanting a backup saw to my 5100s. Something smaller/lighter.
I picked up an 024 AVS in very nice shape and 160# compression.
A buddy has an 015 AVT he wants to trade + money.
I like the idea of an even smaller saw but, being a newbie, I'm a little nervous about safety with running a top handle and
I'm under the impression the 015 is more "cheaply" made and parts are getting hard to come by.
What to do ? If 015, then how much $ from him is reasonable ?

I concur. The 024 is the one. The 015 is a good little saw and very well built. They are harder to fix these days, though, and I think you are VERY smart to realize there is a significant safety hit in operating a top handle saw.

He brought it over and left it here (I wasn't home).
Turns out it's an 011 AVT. I assume your recommendations still stand ?
It sounds pretty cool, but it's got a dull chain and I don't feel like filing the friggin' thing to see how it cuts.

Brian,
I had a 011 and really liked it. The reed went, I rebuilt it and gave it to my son. (I wanted to buy a new saw:)
Where in VT are you located? Us woodchucks need to stick together. :D

I'm in Danby. I'm brand new to chainsaws (November), but I think the bug bit me. I can't stop hitting yard sales and CL. LOL
I've got 2 good runners and 2 that I got to tinker with.

I've been wanting a backup saw to my 5100s. Something smaller/lighter.
I picked up an 024 AVS in very nice shape and 160# compression.
A buddy has an 015 AVT he wants to trade + money.
I like the idea of an even smaller saw but, being a newbie, I'm a little nervous about safety with running a top handle and
I'm under the impression the 015 is more "cheaply" made and parts are getting hard to come by.
What to do ? If 015, then how much $ from him is reasonable ?

Seems to me to be two totally differant saws. 015 AVT is only I believe 32 cc and has no antivibe at all. I like the 015AV or AVEQ much better though parts are hard to find. The 024 is a much more powerful saw and being newer is easy to get parts for. I have both and use the 024 much more though my 015 AV is a great runner.

Seems to me to be two totally differant saws. 015 AVT is only I believe 32 cc and has no antivibe at all. I like the 015AV or AVEQ much better though parts are hard to find. The 024 is a much more powerful saw and being newer is easy to get parts for. I have both and use the 024 much more though my 015 AV is a great runner.

OOPs goofed re 015 models. 015L is the saw w/o antivibe. AV has points and AVE has electronic ignition. Great saws but still prefer the 024.

I've told myself I'm done buying saws, but if a nice 024 AVS happened along, I'd probably scoop it up. Really nice saw.

A new dilema.
I just got an 020 AVP.
If you had to sell one, would it be the 024 AV Super or the 020 AVP ?

Last edited:
A new dilema.
I just got an 020 AVP.
If you had to sell one, would it be the 024 AV Super or the 020 AVP ?

Sell the 024 to me for $100.00 shipped.:blob2:

JK, well mostly just kidding.:D

Between the two I would say still keep the 024.

020 set up and running right is a very fast handy little limbing/small wood saw. Good for camping etc.

Mr. HE:cool:

I guess I'm just thinking that the 024 isn't too far from the 5100s so I should maybe keep the small saw and put the 024 torward a +60cc saw ?
I know what you're all thinking...keep 'em all, right ? LOL

I guess I'm just thinking that the 024 isn't too far from the 5100s so I should maybe keep the small saw and put the 024 torward a +60cc saw ?
I know what you're all thinking...keep 'em all, right ? LOL

I got a nice 60cc MAC 610 I'll trade ya for that 024 Super.:dizzy:

Back