024 Single Ring Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwn9186

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an 024 taken down to clean up and I noticed it has only one ring on the piston. Did Stihl make them this way? The serial number starts with 1 so it should be a German made.:dizzy:

There were two styles of single-ring pistons in the early 024s. One was a full-circle piston like the Husky saws of the same era had, and the other was a narrow skirt piston that looks similar to the modern pistons in the 026/MS-260.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.
I'm rebuilding an older 024 (serial #11071460) that has the single ring piston. Surprised me when I saw it had only a single ring. I ordered a replacement two ring piston kit (didnt' see any single ring pistons still available?). I've lurked here for a while now with other projects gleening info and I've read about every 1-2ring thread out there but I'm wondering this:
Install the 2 ring piston with one or both rings?
Any recommendations?

fwiw, my McCulloch 325 has a three ring piston in it, as did the old Sears David Bradley chainsaw I had a while back (iirc).

2 rings, if it was made for it. Work saws do better on 2, but a race saw usually gets higher RPM with one. I never saw much of a difference in compression readings between 1 or 2 either.

Good reading starting at the end of page 10 on ring heat transfer in Terry's article here; http://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/35285

The .pdf file is too large to post.

deep thoughts....
Got the concept & it makes sense... also, this 024 isn't a race saw, so in light of longevity and the logic in that article two rings will be used.
Thanks!

Bsnelling has put single rings in double rings with no issues. Good logic, not doing anything crazy with the saw, might as well stay stock.

Back