024 to 026 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 024 is down in Atlanta at my mothers i'm going to pick it up next time I go down to visit.
Man, you guys know a lot about saws....

On ebay right now they have a 024 p/c for $30.00 It is listed under STHIL not he correct spelling of stihl. There are always about 10 items listed from people who can't spell for people like me who also can't spell. Jim

Can you tell a 024 by the serial number? Were the 4 digit numbers the numbers on the parts and not the case? 219193241

Just out of curiosity I shuffled through a few of my crankcases. The latest 024 crankcase I have is a 216XXXXXX and the earliest 026 crankcase I have is a 222XXXXXX so that doesn't help a person much. About the only thing it tells me is that if it is an 024 its a later one. Do you have the complete saw or just the crankcase?

024 to 026

How about the 026 top-end on the 024 super bottom, tune the carb just out of four-stroking, say 10-11 thousand rpm, would it hold together, with new crank bearings of course.

Yes most definately...if the bearings are good in the super case there is no need to replace them at all.

How about the 026 top-end on the 024 super bottom, tune the carb just out of four-stroking, say 10-11 thousand rpm, would it hold together, with new crank bearings of course.

The 024 Super bottom end is the SAME as the 026.. just crank it up to 14k... 10-12 would suck.

I don't know the complete chain adjuster chronology for the 024/026. There was never a front tensioner on an 026. All non super 024's had front adjusters and I believe all 024 supers probably had front adjusters also. So its safe to assume its an 024, whether or not its a super won't be determined until you do more research.

I've seen several 024 supers (most of them?) with side adjusters. Not suprising as it was made for some countries until the change to the MS240 in 2001.

I'll dig though the old tech notes tomorrow at work.

Last edited:
I've seen several 024 supers (most of them?) with side adjusters. Not suprising as it was made for some countries until the change to the MS240 in 2001.

I'll dig though the old tech notes tomorrow at work.
Ok cool I'd be interested in when they introduced the side chain adjuster on the 024 super and if it was on all supers. I've only probably had a dozen or so supers over the years...but I don't have any carcasses now and can't recall for sure what kind of chain adjuster was on them.

024 to 026

Sirs, I've been following this and contributing some. I just disassembled an 024 super and the chain adjuster is on the front of the saw, it has a single bar stud and a dummy or pin to align the bar.Everything else looks the same but as someone else said there is some filter difference, I tried the 024 filter cover on my 026 and it didn't go on.

Are you sure its a 24 super? I could be wrong, but I thought the dummy pin/bar stud was only on the old 024 av's.

024 to 026

bcorradi, The cylinder cover on the 024 Super is what I am going by.Will the a cylinder cover from the ms260 fit either of these saws?

Back