026 carb issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorboypaul

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have an 026. Not an AV, but not the pro because it doesn't have a decomp. Problem is the carb mix needles aren't staying adjusted. Adjustment lasts about 5 minutes and they've moved and it runs like crap. Just wondering if I can get new springs or if the plastic piece the springs screw into has shrunk with age. The springs are touching each other on the bottom side, so I don't know if this is allowing them to not work properly or not. Didn't find anything in the archives on this type of issue. Just don't want to have to purchase a new carb. Thanks in advance for any info!

Did you actually verify that the screws are moving by counting turns? Cause that's rare. It's more likely that the screws aren't moving, but rather you can't hold a tune because of an air leak somewhere.

The mix needles are turning. I checked their adjustment before and after. After I disassembled the saw and adjusted them with the carb out, at least one of them has no resistance on it and turns freely.

Not sure if you have the space, but I've seen the RC airplane & boat guys place a stub of 3/8" auto vacuum hose and a hog ring type hose clamp over them, basically locking the two screws together.

i'm gonna go ahead and believe you that the springs are weak and i agree with mike about stretching the springs but please be aware that the 026 along with a few other stihls have a problematic seal. for the 026 and 036 it is the flywheel side. some like the 200 have the same seal on both sides. it sucks. i just replace seals in most saws i receive. take a seal out of even a 10yr old saw and compare it to a new seal. you will find the new seal to be way softer. even though that old seal may still be sealing, it will let go one day.

Back