026 carburetor Tech Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had one of the carbs that wouldn't let me adjust the High " It was running way to rich and wouldn't have power. Lots of smoke and it choked out.

So I replaced it with a: Walbro WT-194 Carburetor For Stihl 024 026 that I saw on e-bay...

Turns out it wasn't exactly the same thing so I had to switch a few parts. Mainly the diaphragm cover that has the part with the o-ring which goes into the engine.

Anyway, once installed the carburetor seems to suck gas and dump it into the cylinder. When trying to start the decompression valve blasts everywhere and it leaks out of the muffler.

I check the float/needle and it doesn't seem to be sticking... I took the entire thing apart 3 times and it still drains the tank dry and floods the cylinder...

Why? What am I not doing? Or what is wrong?

Also, the fuel is coming out of the little brass piece that goes into the engine. (the side of the carburetor that has the idle adjustment screw....)

Any hints??

Thanks to all of the chainsaw techs that answer!!

Sounds like there may be a backward diaphragm in the carb.

Here is the wt-194 IPL to help.
Image1462667501.771404.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's got a lot of extra parts VS what I got... Anyway, Is the diaphragm # 34 or 32? I tried switching # 32 already. I also took out # 19 and replaced it with what was in the old carburetor. That also didn't make any difference.

If 34 was upside down it may push the needle letting fuel by, or would it not let fuel through...make sure it's in there right I guess. Maybe there is a hole in it, you may need to try new gaskets. There is also a chance you got a lemon. The Chinese carbs are pretty good but they have more factory defects than name brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put up a link to the carb on E-bay. Also, put the old carb back on and run it without the air filter, just to see how it runs.
If the carb is flooding, send it back, get your money back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221972634160

Nothing is backwards. I have everything installed correctly.

Could it really just be a dud? I would think that there has got to be something that I can do to fix it... I will try the other carb just to see if it's leaking too... I know it doesn't run very well and I can't adjust it so there's no use trying to use it.

I had one of the carbs that wouldn't let me adjust the High " It was running way to rich and wouldn't have power. Lots of smoke and it choked out...

My 026 Pro is similarly equipped w/ the Lo-only carb (and although rich, it did run mostly fine).
Do some searching, there's old AS threads on muff-modding w/ this carb. In a nutshell, this combo did tend to run rich so one fix is a modest muff mod. I poked an add'l 5/16" hole beneath the original single hole on my muff's outlet which perked up the saw noticeably, pretty much alleviating the richness issues while still keeping some healthy 4-stroking burble @ WOT.

I'm certain the saw has a bit more easy hp to be found with a fully adjustable carb, but the simple muff mod fix took 15min and required no aggravation. Ideal cost:benefit in my book. If someday I run out of other projects maybe i'll pursue the WT194 upgrade, but for now the quick fix is darn good.

If you need a new carb for a non pro 026 I have one. I tried it and it works great! I found out after the rebuild on my dads saw it didn't need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221972634160

Nothing is backwards. I have everything installed correctly.

Could it really just be a dud? I would think that there has got to be something that I can do to fix it... I will try the other carb just to see if it's leaking too... I know it doesn't run very well and I can't adjust it so there's no use trying to use it.
I want you to try the old carb without an air filter, to see how it runs. It will probably run better. Then I want you to pop a new kit in it, and set your metering lever correctly, and put a new air filter on it, and it will likely run fine.

And if you want to put a fully adjustable carb on it, get a real one.

What, you have had a good experience with one cheap Chinese copy carb, thus they are all good and excellent quality?
China is a big place, and their quality is not very consistent....
I have 3 of this exact copy in 024 and 026 saws and I haven't had any problems. The OEM carbs for these saws are quite expensive.

I have 3 of this exact copy in 024 and 026 saws and I haven't had any problems. The OEM carbs for these saws are quite expensive.
Exact copy? How could you know?

Yeah, anything compared to $17 delivered is expensive....

The junk china option is very attractive, that is why everyone chooses it.

I know that you said that you have everything in order, but if number 29 and 34 are not in the correct order it will cause the carb. to flood. Tom

Exact copy? How could you know?

Yeah, anything compared to $17 delivered is expensive....

The junk china option is very attractive, that is why everyone chooses it.
I meant that I had the same one he purchased, one of the copies. I did t mean they were identical. But when I've gotten them I have compared them to the OEM carb and they have the similar fit and finish.

Latest posts

Back