026 crank is toast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
well its official i need a crank and bearings for my CL 026, the cages that hold the crank bearings together came apart and aparantly sent a ball into the cylinder. the cylinder is salvageable but the piston is toast. owner said it was strait gassed and that it ran but wouldnt idle,but further inspection found a air leak in the impulse and pickup hose and a piston that was (lightened). oh well i only gave 50 bux for it and it had a brand new bar and 2 chains.

anybody out there have a crank for a 026 layin around they wana get rid of :dizzy:

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
yea the bearing cage has pretty bad grooves wore in it and if you move it to one side there is no play but if you slide the rod to the other side there is noticable play. i would hate to split the case and put in new bearings and put in a new slug only to have the rod bearing fail and wreck everything again:censored:

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
ya prolly what ill do unless i can come across some parts cheap, i may just go trade my 310 + some cash for a 260 pro :confused: who knows. i dont want to buy any parts saws off ebay because i will more than likely get burned :givebeer:

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
yea the bearing cage has pretty bad grooves wore in it and if you move it to one side there is no play but if you slide the rod to the other side there is noticable play. i would hate to split the case and put in new bearings and put in a new slug only to have the rod bearing fail and wreck everything again:censored:

jbig,
Can you post a pic of the rod bearing? My 440 is in the same boat as yours. Bearing cage disintegration (both clutch and FW sides) after being straight-gassed. I thought my rod bearing was bad too, but apparently it is normal to have quite a bit of lateral movement. Not so much wigggle when you grasp the top of the rod, but quite a bit when you grasp the bottom and slide it side-to-side across the bearing. You may be OK.

doc874

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
ya prolly what ill do unless i can come across some parts cheap, i may just go trade my 310 + some cash for a 260 pro :confused: who knows. i dont want to buy any parts saws off ebay because i will more than likely get burned :givebeer:

I'm sure i have an 026 crank for $20 and shipping its yours. I'll confirm it when i get off work today.

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
it had a knock in the motor when i bought it i figured it was the piston rockin in the bore due to pieces of it missing. i knew that there was some work involved with this project when i bought it. the crank bearings were very smooth when rotating them but then they would lock up, if you look in the case u can see all the balls bunched together. and incase any one was wondering these were all stihl factory parts no aftermarket.

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
thanx doc i will let you know what im going to do with it. i am going to have a friend of mine check it out tomorrow and see what he says if it is bad or not

doc874

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
I found the crank i have, it has 1125 on the crank and the con rod, not sure if thats an 026 or 029/039 crank. Perhaps someone here can tell me.

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
good news the rod bearing is alright. took it to the local stihl place and i figured they would say it was bad so they could sell me a part but to my suprise the guy said it looked fine to him. he also buzzed the flywheel off for free, gotta love a good dealer:clap:

Latest posts