026 Forensics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowtie.....that would be mighty neighborly of you! I'd even suggest looking at the part itself for a part number, but the filter seems to already be about five different parts in one!

Thats what I have in mind, but its late and the Mrs. is wanting me to get the heck off the computer. I will post in the morning, if you dont find out before.

Actually, I did catch that when you mentioned it earlier. I do have an 024 on the shelf out in the shop (perfectly nice saw, haven't even cut with it) and I've noticed that the plastic is different. What gives me a little pause is that the 024 top cover and air filter cover are different. Whereas I though it must be to accomodate a larger filter, I guess I must now conclude that it was simply to accomodate a taller cylinder.

I do have that IPL, I'll check it out. On the other hand, I think I'm going to do as you and BT suggest and get the biggest filter I can... all the better for future porting jobs!

:cheers:

Thats what I have in mind, but its late and the Mrs. is wanting me to get the heck off the computer. I will post in the morning, if you dont find out before.

My Ms. is hammering away right next to me on her own computer!! Can you tell we don't get cable? Thanks for your help tonight!

Some of the later 024s came with the Intellicarb feature and larger air filter as well. There are 4 different air filter covers I see not counting the ones with the special extenders overe the top. The 024 went to the Intellicarb carburetor, larger filter, different engine shroud, and different air filter cover all at the same serial number. This would suggest to me that you cannot use any of the old plastic with the larger filter.

024 intelli? not in the USA/Canada.. ever... not even the 024 super.

Be careful with the IPL's - they cover the entire world...

Here is the non pro early 026 setup
attachment.php
Here is the Pro setup
attachment.php

Quite a difference in filter area, and even the larger, later filter isnt real big.
attachment.php
The newer style tank vent is shorter and allows for the large air filter
attachment.php
And here is the early 026 without intellacarb and the old style tank vent
attachment.php

Well, for better or worse, I ordered up the large (intellicarb) filter. I do see why the stock (mast type) vent won't work with the big filter. Here's my plan. I have a tank vent off an MS230 (you know, the dangly thing at the end of a hose) I plan to adapt it at the base, then cut the hose at the right place to get the vent (the dangly bit) to tuck into a recess. Hopefully, there is a recess big enough. I'll have to wait for the filter to arrive before that all pans out.

You guys are aces!

careful.. the air filter cover won't fit, unless you upgrade all the plastic to 026. Not sure the tank is right either, modifed or not.. Tough to get the 230 tank vent to clip onto the mast post.

Last edited:
Hi, Andy, thanks for chiming in. The saw is getting all 026 plastic.. I think I even have a "pro" cover for it in the shop somewhere, just in case the cylinder I dig up has a decomp valve. The tank itself is from an 026, albeit (apparently) an old one. Without a doubt, the 230 vent will require some creative thinking.

BTW, nice barn.

I'd JB weld a nipple into the vent tube...

That's pretty much what I was thinking, the hard part being finding just the right nipple. I'm thinking about getting an oversized one and finding the right rubber o-ring to make the seal. I'm sure browsing the aisles at autozone will give me a better idea of what my "nipple options" are.

Back