026 Forensics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Peeps. I have finally gotten to the point where I have all the parts to assemble an 026! The parts came from three different saws, one of which was an 024 (for the tank, brake parts, and odds and ends). The top end came mounted on what appears to be a nice crankcase. The assembly had one big problem, the piston was hung up somehow. I figured it was a standard ring-catching-on-a-port scenario, but I was wrong. Check out the pics! It looks like a length of wire or something was eaten in the intake! It torched the piston, jug and, athough I was worried about the bottom end, it is silky smooth after carefully extracting all the foreign bodies.

The second picture is really a question. I have two carbs that came off these saws, one of which has seen better days. The odd thing is that they have exactly the same bodies, but one has a cover that has an integral "snorkel." This is my first experience with the 026s, can someone lend me a little wisdom as to which carb should be the contender? The carb without the snorkel is missing the fuel line mount, but that could easily be donated from the other carb.

Thanks in advance!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

My 026 Pro circa 1998 has the snorkel and is the Walbro carb WT-194. My early 026 non pro does not have the snorkel and is an early 194 carb as well. What is the tank vent? the round element clear plastic, or the black skinny style with screws?

That snorkel fits into the body of the air filter and is part of the Intellicarb feature. It was not on all 026 saws, so the other carb is for an 026 without it. There are at least a couple different tank/tank vent combinations on these saws. Not all filters work with all tanks. The larger filter of the latest 260 will hit the tank vent on the older saws. You can switch covers back and forth. So you can use the better carb body with which ever covers you need.

Last edited:
That snorkel fits into the body of the air filter and is part of the Intellicarb feature. It was not on all 026 saws, so the other carb is for an 026 without it. There are at least a couple different tank/tank vent combinations on these saws. Not all filters work with all tanks. The larger filter of the latest 260 will hit the tank vent on the older saws. You can switch covers back and forth. So you can use the better carb body with which ever covers you need.

Right on, Brad. I prefer the intellacarb setup because it allows a larger air filter setup. But, if your tank vent is the tall, black screw type, that wont work without tank vent modification.

Dang, the tank is missing the vent assembly. I've gone through this on an otherwise perfectly nice 044. I put it together from several parts saws. It runs great and looks nice but since the tank and case are from two different units I can't for the life of me figure out which vent it should have. I've tried three different ones! I'm driving my dealer buggy.

Maybe I'll go out and take a picture of what the mounting point looks like. Expect me to post it shortly.

I appreciate the help, gents.

I believe that's the oldest style that takes vent PN 1121 350 5800. You won't be able to run the larger air filter which is also the one that accepts the "snorkel" Intellicarb fitting. Maybe there are mods that will allow you to use the larger filter, but I'm not aware of them.

Last edited:
I believe that's the oldest style that takes vent PN 1121 350 5800. You won't be able to run the larger air filter which is also the one that accepts the "snorkel" Intellicarb fitting. Maybe there are mods that will allow you to use the larger filter, but I'm not aware of them.

Yep, and that will not accept the intellicarb style large air filter. You need the older filter style. The IPL is confusing on all this, so Im not going to throw part numbers. My guess is you already have an IPL?

I believe you air filter PN 1121 120 1625. It's found in the 024 IPL. My 026 IPL only shows filters with the Intellicarb port. This is the flocked filter. The wire mesh filter will flow more but not filter as well. That PN is 1121 120 1625.

You can make your own tank vent setup if you dont mind improvising. Like a piece of tygon with a custom made screw in each end like lots of saws had factory. The tank I am getting from an AS member for my 026 is all hogged out in the tank vent, so I will have to do this. I think its worth it, and I will plug the intellacarb port and use that air filter on my 026 project.

You can make your own tank vent setup if you dont mind improvising. Like a piece of tygon with a custom made screw in each end like lots of saws had factory. The tank I am getting from an AS member for my 026 is all hogged out in the tank vent, so I will have to do this. I think its worth it, and I will plug the intellacarb port and use that air filter on my 026 project.

If you can mod the tank vent and run the larger filter, you want to do so. The 026 air filter is a bottle neck the way it is. You don't want it any smaller than it has to be. My modded 260 picks up 900 RPMs when I remove the filter!!! That's after I retune to keep it from running way lean.

If you can mod the tank vent and run the larger filter, you want to do so. The 026 air filter is a bottle neck the way it is. You don't want it any smaller than it has to be. My modded 260 picks up 900 RPMs when I remove the filter!!! That's after I retune to keep it from running way lean.

And your 260 runs the largest filter for that series saw, just like my 026 Pro. Imagine the smaller filters. I will take a couple pics tomorrow and post them of the small filters.

Well, I'm writing furiously, thank you. Sounds like the 026 filter arrangement could use a mod all by itself. I may just improvise on the vent and use the large filter. I have already considered a few fixes that would work just fine. I'd really like to keep this saw for myself so keeping it "stock" is not a consideration.

It actually sounds like a velocity stack arrangement might be the ticket on this saw, though it would look pretty funky.

If anyone has a used 026 jug they'd like to sell, please let me know!

A velocity stack and K&N with an Outerwear would work fine but look hillarious on a saw that size. Unless you're looking for crazy power, just go with the larger stock filter. My saw will still turn 16,500 with it on, so it will flow enough air for most users.

A velocity stack and K&N with an Outerwear would work fine but look hillarious on a saw that size. Unless you're looking for crazy power, just go with the larger stock filter. My saw will still turn 16,500 with it on, so it will flow enough air for most users.

Brad, it looks hilarious on your 066...:p

A v-stack might really be in the way also, and the choke arrangement wouldbe tricky or non-existant. I'm looking over the IPL right now, and it's a pretty confusing slug of numbers. It looks like there are two styles of filter. Both seem to be shown with the intellicarb so I don't quite understand this. It looks to me like both styles are available in mesh and flocked.

Guess I'll keep staring at this till I get it.

The Giant is clearly better at unloosing stuck things.

Last edited:
A v-stack might really be in the way also, and the choke arrangement wouldbe tricky or non-existant. I'm looking over the IPL right now, and it's a pretty confusing slug of numbers. It looks like there are two styles of filter. Both seem to be shown with the intellicarb so I don't quite understand this. It looks to me like both styles are available in mesh and flocked.

Guess I'll keep staring at this till I get it.

Give me a little time, and I will get you some more part numbers. I had that same problem. I think what both of us have is a later IPL that doesnt have the early 026 in it in all aspects.

Bowtie.....that would be mighty neighborly of you! I'd even suggest looking at the part itself for a part number, but the filter seems to already be about five different parts in one!

Also.. .. the IPL shows a metal plate between the carb and filter.. a heater plate.... is this necessary? I think I've seen one in my storage unit someplace, but wow..... it's a needle in a haystack thing.

I'm looking over the IPL right now, and it's a pretty confusing slug of numbers. It looks like there are two styles of filter. Both seem to be shown with the intellicarb so I don't quite understand this. It looks to me like both styles are available in mesh and flocked.

Go look at the 024 IPL. It will show you the filters for the old carb. That's the PN I posted earlier.

Back