325 063 Bar for Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblnut

Overweight and underpaid.
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both an MS251 and recently acquired 026. Being as I've had the 251 for quite some time I have a number of chains in different setups that I'd like to use on both saws. The 026 has a 3/8" chain on it now and does well with it BUT it'd be less $$$$$ in the long run to have two saws that can run the same chains than two completely different setups. Both will get used to fell smaller stuff and limb once on the ground.

The 251 uses the smaller 3005 mount and a 68dl chain .....

The 026 uses the larger 3003 mount which specs a 67dl link chain.

Would it be as simple as running an 8-pin sprocket on the 026 to take up the slack or would it work as is just having the chain tensioner all the way out ? 026 has a muffler mod and a 261 air filter setup so the 8-pin shouldn't give it to much guff especially with the 325 chain.

Thank you in advance.....

Some internet sleuthing has led me to a bunch of options but there are three different Stihl part numbers that keep showing up and I can't tell the difference between them. They're all .325 .063 67dl bars 🤦

3003 008 6813
3003 810 7113
3003 810 7013

I would hold off, and run the 026 for a bit before buying any new stuff.

I think you will be best served by selling the 251 and all the chains/bars...and, buying some other pro saw which shares a mount with the 026. Maybe, another 026... Depends on what else you've got. 036?

On another issue...MS261 air filter on the 026???? You got a link describing that? Pics?

Roy

Different bar mount style, different bar width making the chains different lengths (different driver number) for the same bar length. You could get a roll of .325 .063 chain and make your own or add subtract a driver to save money in the long run if both saws used .325. That 261 will be peppier with a 16" .325 bar vs a 16" 3/8...

I would hold off, and run the 026 for a bit before buying any new stuff.

I think you will be best served by selling the 251 and all the chains/bars...and, buying some other pro saw which shares a mount with the 026. Maybe, another 026... Depends on what else you've got. 036?

On another issue...MS261 air filter on the 026???? You got a link describing that? Pics?

Roy
I have run the 026 for a while with the 3/8" chain and it runs great .... I have a pile of 68dl 325 063 chains and only one 60dl 3/8" 050 that is currently on the 026. I figured it'd be as good an idea to have two saws that can run the same chains instead of having more chains in more sizes around.

The 251 will be staying, this isn't a funding issue as much as a not wanting more inventory issue.

I have a number of other saws and the 251 will be a backup of sorts to use to finish something up quick without having to sharpen/swap to a new chain if something happens to the 026. Plus I'll likely keep the 026 in the combine and Pops will keep the 251 with him in the tractor during harvest so we both have a smaller saw if we run into a down tree in a field.

I typed 261 and likely got you all excited by accident but it's a filter setup off a 260 so nothing too special. Stupid fat fingers in a little phone screen ... I used info found here -> https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-026-to-ms260-air-filter-conversion.355725/

Pics of my saw for fun .... I used aftermarket stuff to keep the cost down and will source OEM stuff if issues arise with this stuff. It also has a full wrap from an 044 😏
KIMG2814.JPG

The saw runs very well after this and the muffler mod. These pics were taken right after I put it all together so it's all still cleanish lol
KIMG2815.JPG

Different bar mount style, different bar width making the chains different lengths (different driver number) for the same bar length. You could get a roll of .325 .063 chain and make your own or add subtract a driver to save money in the long run if both saws used .325. That 261 will be peppier with a 16" .325 bar vs a 16" 3/8...
I have an extra 16" and 18" bar for the 251 and yeah they use the smaller mount, hence the questions lol What do you mean by different width ? They will all be 063 gauge ....

The 251 has an 18" bar, the 026 bar will be a 16" with the same chain if I'm not mistaken and that's fine. These saws are used for limbing and falling sub 12" stuff. The 066 comes out for larger stuff.

I think I'm going to see if I can find a 16" D025 bar locally and see if it all comes together. If not I'll make more 3/8" chains to fit this saw. I don't have a roll of 325 on hand anymore as I made most of it into 68dl chain for the 251.

Thank you for the replies !!

"Excited"...got that right.

Next, I thought you were going to report your 026 had the 261 airinject (or, whatever Stihl calls it).

Roy
Oh I tried to get the actual air filter style filter on there but I couldn't figure out the stupid choke. I quit trying once I started to order different carbs that had a proper choke and I saw the bottom of the rabbit hole dissapearing lol

I have to tell myself "It's just a firewood saw ... it's just a firewood saw" or I will end up having 40hrs and $1,000 into something that doesn't work at all anymore lol.

The larger mount bar itself is wider hence the chain length is different by a driver or two. If you have or acquire new tie straps you can easily break the chains to add a driver then spin the chain back together.

The larger mount bar itself is wider hence the chain length is different by a driver or two. If you have or acquire new tie straps you can easily break the chains to add a driver then spin the chain back together.
I think you are referring to wider as what I am thinking of as taller. The distance between the chain on the bottom of the bar and the top of the bar is greater on the 026 bar than the 251 bar. If so then yes, absolutely!

All I was really curious about was if a chain one link longer could go on the 026 bar and could be taken up with the adjuster or a larger sprocket.

Sure I can make specific chains to fit the saw but if I can make the same chains work for the 026 and 251 that's a win in my book.

I'm going to find a bar tomorrow locally and see what happens. I'll keep y'all posted !

The MS251 has the same bar mount as most of the smaller saws, and has a different drive link count as is on the larger bars. Here is one off of the ms251.
251mount.JPG

If you lay one bar on top of the other the large mount bar will be wider. trying to put a 1 link too short chain on a saw will not fit, 1 link too long should fit but adjusting for wear will be little to none. You say you have many chains already, if they are all the same brand or two why not sacrifice one to take drivers from to lengthen a couple to use on the large mount bar. Thats what I would do using chains of the same brand so the rivets/tie straps match a single kit easily ordered for under 10 bucks.

The MS251 has the same bar mount as most of the smaller saws, and has a different drive link count as is on the larger bars. Here is one off of the ms251.
View attachment 1133262

Here is the mount that fits on the 026, the slot width on the bar studs is different as well as the link count.
View attachment 1133263
Thank you for the pictures.

I know they are different mounts. I'm not trying to put a small mount bar on a large mount saw ....

If you lay one bar on top of the other the large mount bar will be wider. trying to put a 1 link too short chain on a saw will not fit, 1 link too long should fit but adjusting for wear will be little to none. You say you have many chains already, if they are all the same brand or two why not sacrifice one to take drivers from to lengthen a couple to use on the large mount bar. That's what I would do using chains of the same brand so the rivets/tie straps match a single kit easily ordered for under 10 bucks.
We're talking about the same thing ... Width vs height. Sweet.

The 16" 325 063 D025 bar uses a 67dl chain. The 18" 325 065 A074 bar uses a 68dl chain. The 16" vs 18" doesn't matter to me. Both are long enough for what I want to use them for.

Let's say I had a large mount 16" 325 063 67dl Stihl bar on my 026 and wanted to run an 8-pin drive sprocket. Would I need to add a chain link to do that ?

I can certainly make chains to fit but I don't want to inventory two different size chains for these two saws if I don't have to. I'd like to be able to bring a couple along and use them on both saws completely interchangeablely. I already bring a tube with three chain sizes in it when we go in the woods due to different length bars and don't want to carry more than I need to.

It'll work because I think it should. That's a good enough reason lol. I'll let y'all know tomorrow if I can find a 16" D025 325 063 bar.

Let's say I had a large mount 16" 325 063 67dl Stihl bar on my 026 and wanted to run an 8-pin drive sprocket. Would I need to add a chain link to do that ?
Different way to phrase the question .... Unless your answer of "No" down below is answering this question ....

The easy answer is "No".
Never take the easy way !! You'll never learn anything doing that lol.

I found a brand new 3003 008 6813 67dl spec bar locally that fits the bill perfectly. This is with a 325 8-pin sprocket and a 68dl chain that has seen 6-8 hand filings. Personally I’d say this looks about perfect 🤷‍♂️2023-12-07 16.22.00.jpg

This is with a 7-pin sprocket ….
2023-12-07 16.23.43.jpg

This is a 7-pin 3/8” chain on the bar the saw came with.
2023-12-07 16.28.01.jpg

I ran a tank of fuel through the saw with the new bar/chain/8-pin setup and it absolutely flies !! No noticeable power issues or more bogging than with the 3/8” setup. Gotta find a full chisel chain in the pail of chains now to see what it really can do !!

I got a local that runs his bought new 034 super with 325 063 74dl still. Said what it had since new. Just had to order him some chains.

Also you can do anything you want with some grinding etc to bars to fit. I put a 3005 12" bar 3/8LP on a ported 026 once.

Nice getting right bar though. Makes it easy that way.

s026wp12.jpgs026piccoa.JPG

If I couldn’t find one that fit the Bridgeport would have solved that problem in an hurry lol

The 7-pin 3/8” sprocket is only slightly smaller in diameter than the 8-pin 325 sprocket so the chain isn’t running all that much faster.

I wonder if they make a small spline 9-pin 😏

Latest posts

Back