026 Pro - Bar Oil Dribble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

For a few years now, my 026 has been dribbling bar oil from the output tube when inactive/sitting after use and it's getting worse. It appears that after use, pressure remains in the oil tank and relieves itself slowly by drooling oil all over the bench or in the case until pressure is gone. I see a pressure relief valve (maybe?) under the output tube, it appears to not be doing its job. I put test pressure in the tank and it did not relieve. I put test vacuum in the tank and that did not relieve either. Where do I go from here? Many thanks for any answers to my question.
OilPressureValve.jpg

That is a supposed to be a straight through vent. If the oil tank is holding vacuum then it's not doing it's job.

I haven't had a stihl vent out before but most are press in from the inside of the tank. I'd see if I could unlodge whatever is in there with a shot of air.

Hello srcarr52, thank you for your help. I placed a small diameter wire in the hole (from both sides) an it feels as if there is a spring-and-ball sort of check valve in there so I was hesitant to try to push the wire through before asking for advice. Relieving the pressure in the tank by cracking open the filler cap and closing it again only helps until pressure builds up again with the saw merely sitting on the bench on the warm days we are having lately. I can loosen the cap 4 times a day .......Pssshhhhhht...... and it will pressurize all over again. Needless to say, it is making a mess wherever it sits. I'll give your suggestion a try - thanks again!

There is a one way check valve of spring and ball in there. It works to let in air but not out. works OK when the saw is new and the oil pump is tight. As tolerances increase then it leaks. That is why you notice it more as it gets more use. The problem is not the check valve if air can flow in but not out, it is made that way. Mike

Hi rupedoggy,

Ok, that makes sense because the valve immediately breaks vacuum till about 2psi where it holds but the valve will not release pressure. Is the problem remedied by installing a new pump? Not a big deal but at least I know what's going on. Thank you!:rock:

You know all chainsaws leak a little. The residual from the chain, the drain from the hose, the stuff slung up into the cover, etc. Yes, a new pump will cut it down as will the heavy weight bar oil but it is still a chain saw after all. Dogs lick themselves, chainsaws leak a little.:msp_ohmy:

:laugh: Gotcha - but if this were a normal leak I wouldn't be asking. Must be the heat making it leak worse because it's a constant pool. Now if only the saw would lick up after itself.............
Thanks for your help!

my 036 is doing same thing ,set it down creates a 8 inch puddle of oil under it ,clean the spill set it down next day new puddle ,a little is ok but emptying the tank is a different thing ,im gonna try replacing oil pump ,ill post back let know if cures problem ,may be a week or so need to get one still

my 036 is doing same thing ,set it down creates a 8 inch puddle of oil under it ,clean the spill set it down next day new puddle ,a little is ok but emptying the tank is a different thing ,im gonna try replacing oil pump ,ill post back let know if cures problem ,may be a week or so need to get one still

Frustrating isn't it. A leak is one thing but I can't ignore a constant pool of oil. Thanks for sharing your experience - looking forward to your report.

When you install the new pump, be sure to include a new oil line from the tank to the pump. The friction fit is all that keeps the leak from happening and they take a set after a time and may not conform to the new pump "cone" seal. Oil lines are cheap compared to the pump cost. Mike

Back