026 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeiss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor a firewood guy like me bought a clist 026 pro i believe. He brought it over and it has the fixed H screw. I adjusted the idle and low and tached it around 13500 if I remember right and had good comp. but I did not check it. I don't have an 026/260 (yet..) but this one did seem to cut fair at best. It was round tooth chain but brand new. I thought these saws were rippers?

Will the adjustable wt-194 carb(newcarb and muff mod?) make that much difference? Or should I get some square tooth round grind like I use and reevaluate?

Any ideas other than "use search function" would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I think if you are use to using square filed chain, and round filed will seem significantly different.
But muffler mods will help the performance.

The chain had round teeth. I use square teeth round filed. The saw acted like it was a little rich? I know his chain should be a little slower but this saw was pretty slow. I searched and a few stated that muff mods on a fixed H carb may be a no-no. Maybe a new air filter would be in order?

026/260's are not powerhouses. they work ok for wood under 8-10". a MM and an adjustable carb will improve them, but it takes a lot more than that to make them cut like a 60cc saw.
chisel chain does cut a little faster, but the difference is not huge.

I did a muff mod with a fixed H carb. Still 4 strokes out of the cut and makes plenty of smoke at 40:1. If it seems rich I would do it. Just my .02, dont hold me or AS responsible.

Often the fixed jet carbs are set rich, esp if you are at any altitude. It is possible to lean them out by opening the muffler up a bit at a time until you get the tunning closer. My advice would be to find a replacement carb for it, 044 carb can be made to fit, info is posted on how to.
Also depending on the version the 260 air filter and cover is a bolt un upgrade . In some cases I found that swaping out the old 026 air filter for a new 260 filter made a big difference. The cases with the tall black tank vent don't allow an easy sqaw to the new filter though.

026s arn't class winners stock they fall behind the 346 Husky, 5100 Dolmar, solo 651, but with a little work they close the gap really quick.

No sense getting into true square chain unless you are going to spend a pile of time and money learning how to sharpen it and getting a set up to do it. Round chisel chain will be a bit quicker than semi chisel but won't like cutting dirt much.

when i switched from my wt-403a fixed H jet carb to my wt-194 fully adjustable carb i noticed a slight performance gain after tuning. the saw also revved much quicker than it had before. if you swap in a wt-194 and do a muffler mod you will notice a significant performance gain. when i did mine it honestly cut like a whole new saw. the muffler mod makes a big difference on this saw, but you must have a fully adjustable carb such as the walbro wt-194.

edit- Timberwolf posted while i was typing. his advice regarding opening the muffler a little at a time with a fixed H jet saw is good advice, but i would buy a wt-194 and really open the muffler.

Last edited:
Mike

You say it cuts slow. Is the chain throwing big chips? Can you pull the chain down or stall it out in the cut? I know you said that it was a new chain.....however, have you checked the depth gauges to see if they're set low enough so the chain can actually bit in to the wood?

BTW....This guy needs some REP guys....Hit him....I did.

Something isn't right with that saw. I have an 026 Pro and have run a 20" bar with RSC chain to cut through 20" black locust.

I usually just run 16" with RSC and it's a fantastic firewood saw. Mine has the fixed H screw and I'll probably switch it out for the 194 carb at some point.

I have run a 5100 and a 346, and I expected this saw to be similar. It was running brand new "round cutter" "round ground" chain. Before I tell my neighbor to buy an adjustable carb, I guess I will put "square cutter" round ground chain on it and clean/blow out the air filter a little.

The saw just seemed to need somthing more. When I went to adjust the H screw for him I said, "Hey man there is no H adjustment on this thing?".

I am in Delaware, but I know many folks up your way in NE Ohio. Something else must be wrong with this saw.

What I can't figure out is why am I messing with my neighbors saw when I have 2 that probably need tank vents and 2 more on the bench in the basement.

Firewood season has started and I may have to break down and actually send a saw or two to the shop.

an 026/260 is not a 5100/346 despite what the stihlheads believe. i own 2 of the three, and have run the other one for several weeks. the 346 is the pick of the litter and a 5100 is second.

an 026/260 is not a 5100/346 despite what the stihlheads believe. i own 2 of the three, and have run the other one for several weeks. the 346 is the pick of the litter and a 5100 is second.

That may be so, but this is the saw his buddy/neighbor has and when running properly, it will get the job done and cut just fine.

I just ran mine for 5-6 hours or so on Sunday cutting ash and mulberry and it rips through it just fine with RSC chain. Most of what I was cutting was 8-14" diameter once the stuff was on the ground.

The 026 Pro is a 48 or so cc saw, it's not a monster, but with sharp chain, in my case, Stihl RSC, it cuts great in that size wood. It runs much better with a 16" bar and chain than it did with the 20", but it's still capable, just not the fastest.

i'm sorry, but 14", 026/260, and ripped don't go together. pick any two and i will agree.
the OP said he said he was expecting the 026 to run like a 5100/346. i will gladly try a 261, but the 026/260 trails the pack.

It could just have a clogged air filter causing the rich condition. If you're tuning your neighbors saw chances are he doesn't know to clean that thing out once in a while.

Back