026 Stihl Clutch Drums

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto Vita

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see advertisers listing two different drums for the 026 depending on whether it's for an older unit with a fixed oil pump, or a newer adjustable pump that's driven by the clutch drum.
My question is why isn't there just one replacement that can drive an adjustable pump, or not if you don't have one?
Sellers are very specific about using the specified drum for the application, but what possible harm could there be in running the adjustable pump drum with a manual pump (it is a little deeper)? Am I missing something?

What Harley said, they're different so just need to make sure you get the correct one. I have had a very difficult time getting the correct aftermarket drum for an 026. ie, I have several that won't fit my saws.

And regarding the "older unit with fixed oil pump"..... it's not the vintage that determines this, The 026 Pro uses the adjustable oiler, the non pro models do not. Doesn't matter when it was made.

You can switch over to the adjustable pump if you don't like the saw "leaving it's mark" whenever you set it down running

That's the point of my question. Since you can run the deeper drum on the saw with the adjustable oil pump, why can't you run the deeper drum with the non adjustable oil pump?

What Harley said, they're different so just need to make sure you get the correct one. I have had a very difficult time getting the correct aftermarket drum for an 026. ie, I have several that won't fit my saws.
QUOTE]

Yeah I know they're different, I'm asking if the deeper one can be used in place of the shallow one with no drive notch for the oil pump.

You have to change a number of parts to "convert" an 026 from the non adjustable oiler to the adjustable type. It's not just a matter of switching drums. Unless you set the saw down and let it idle for periods of time, this would not be a worthwhile conversion in my opinion. I rarely let saws idle for any length of time. If I'm not cutting, I shut them off.

Back